What's your favourite shot size for ESP/Fitasc?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

On the back of a monster Fitasc score of 97 shot by Mark Winser using Black Gold 8's, what is your favourite shot size? Do you just buy 7.5's out of habit, can you even tell the difference for instance? Do you avoid the smaller shot because of actual bad experience or ....................... :)

To date I have shot Eley First 7.5 and 8 both plastic and fibre as needed as I am advised to buy the cheapest so I can shoot as much as possible.  I did shoot some 9's initially in a lesson.  It seems likely that I will continue with 8's and 7.5's as they seem to come up at lower prices more than others.

8s and 7s for me. You cant really tell much difference until you get to a long way out, but the 7s do start o show their worth to me on the real long stuff, or long edgy bunnies etc. you could hapily shoot most courses with 8s and never miss a bird because of it.

I use 7.5's out of habit (or sometimes 8's if I misread the box) - but I did (on someones advice) buy a slab of Sovereign 28/6.5's to keep in my bag for very distant stuff - I've only used them a couple of times, but they have paid off... so something I'll continue to do. Just keep a handful in my bag/pocket for a long distance target.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Mr Middle of the Road; standard diesel car, 2.3 children, Beretta O/U without any trickery and I love curry. I don't think I've ever bought any other size than 7.5s, but then ShootClay Admin reckons I still wave at planes.

I'm coming up to re-order shells so should I push the boat out and get 8s?

A very good question, for years I have used 7.5s but recently changed to 8.s for 'normal' Sporting ( 30-40 yards showing face or bottom) 7.5s for Trap or edge birds or distant. But I will always remember Jo Marsh smacking mine and AJ's arse at a shoot with a monster distance crossing rabbit, missed them all, AJ hit one and Jo hit 4 ex 4 using a Hull shell size 6.5 she'd got them we hadn't. Whether it was the pellet or the shooter I will never know, but I thought it was the pellet.

Interesting thought regarding rabbits but as a rule even they are rarely thrown far enough to make a difference. I remember years ago pulverising and straighting a distant rabbit pair at Southdown and being met with disbelief when I told those watching they were Kent Champion 8's. Any real edginess to rabbits though and I would agree you're better off with bigger shot, bigger than 7.5's even as there isn't enough difference between them in truth. The telling difference with 8's I think lies in extra pellet count.

The other thing that puzzles me with very large shot such as 6 or 6.5's is the fact you clearly loose a lot of pellet count, coupled with say half choke which tends to be standard fare with a lot of shooters, this would leave a pretty sparse pattern at the sort of ranges these tend to be deployed at ! No good having the power without the near certainly of a strike in the first place ?!

7.5s or 8s. I don't believe it makes the slightest difference. Just another number to clutter your head up when you should be thinking about stuff that matters. :huh:

8s for most thing, but always keep some 6.5 in the bag for long rabbit clays, and Matt you cannot use 6s at fitasc :eek:

Ithink it makes very little difference until it is at real range.

I ran out of shells a few weeks back, and all I had was 500 9s that were in my boot from the dawn of time. All I had for longer stuff was 15-20 7s that were left in my pocket from the last shoot.

I won 2 and missed HG by 1 on the other 2. Everything I missed was down to me pointing in the wrong place. There wa a mid range bunny (35 yards, full face) that got destroyed, as well as some big tower birds showing a bit of belly.

Mostly its in the head, until you get to big ranges which to be honest you hardly see anymore anyhow.

Shoot what you like, they all do a job!

7's or 7.5's, depends what I can get hold of. I have no idea what difference there is, and I don't want to. Thanks anyway... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
90% 8s with the balance Eley VIP in 7 or 7.5  Agree with the above that it's pellet count that matters and that it's very very rare to see a target these days that justifies/requires that bigger shot size. 

Nobody has mentioned the C word yet, choke.  Tight chokes will give kills with the smaller shot sizes due to multiple strikes whereas with more open chokes and consequently few hits on the clay the higher striking energy of the larger shot sizes may be required to break the target.

Having re-read what I've just typed above makes me sound like one of those shooters who try and analyse all aspects of the science of shotgun shooting! 

I have read somewhere that rifle shooting is a science and shotgun shooting an art and that I firmly believe that.  Studying ballistics, pondering and altering every aspect of gun & cartridge,-  barrel length, choke,(fixed or multi) rib type & height, front bead type, mid bead (yes or no) trigger pull, stock length, comb height (adjustable) and so on and so forth.  Cartridges, 21, 24 or 28 gram, fibre or plastic, cheap or expensive, British or Italian, shot size, it goes on and on.

Chard hit the nail on the head in #8  "you should be thinking about stuff that matters."  If you point the gun in the right place virtually irrespective of all the variables listed above, the clay will break.

Get the theoretically perfect set-up from the above list and don't point the gun in the right place and surprise surprise the clay sails on unmolested.

Concentrate on the thing that matter and that, in my humble opinion, is the SIGHT PICTURE ie what you see when the clay breaks.  For most of us mere mortals that takes a life time to build up that library of images, good coaching will/can speed up that process significantly but perhaps the greatest attribute a novice shooter should possess is a good memory!!

Mr Potter 

I scrounged a tub of express rejects from my dad a year or so back, it was full of 8's and 9's, the 9's killed 50 yard high tower clays through quarter choke, just as good as the 7.5's. but now they've gone I use 7.5's or 8 evo sporters, i'm not good enough to tell the difference!

Who cares what size as long as the colour is nice with gold writing and nice big brassy bits.

If it has Italy stamped in the brass they are even better.

Always turn the shell so the type is uppermost, take your time doing so.

The above is far more important than shot size.

Latest posts

Back