Whats the difference between

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victorismyhero

A clay cartridge and a game cartridge? apart from the obvious that clay stuff is 71/2 shot size??

and why the large price differential?

Firstly clay stuff is 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 9 and 9.5. Various loads,usually 21g, 24g and 28g.

Game cartridges are usually at least 28g load in sizes 6,5,4.

Price of cartridges is partly content (more lead, higher quality propellant) but its also the volume in which they are produced. Less popular = dearer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A clay cartridge and a game cartridge? apart from the obvious that clay stuff is 71/2 shot size??

They're generally but not always more than 28g ie. 32g 36g etc and some of them depending where your shooting need to be non- toxic, like tungsten matrix.
Edit for more thoughts !

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Clever it is really down to the amounts sold. I know when I was out with my syndicate if I fired 25 carts in a day it was a red letter day so for a season I would get through say 250 - 300 cartridges of 32g express supreme can't remember how much but a lot more than my clay carts at say £160 a thou but I get through up to 200 a week! So the manufacturer is making a smaller profit per unit but better over a year.

Most of the cartridge companies produce more game shells than clay shells believe it or not...

Most of the cartridge companies produce more game shells than clay shells believe it or not...
Really? I would never have known that Ed I just went by my own experience where you can't shoot it if it aint there to shoot. Small syndicate of about 20 odd shooters average bag was say 50 pheasant and half a dozen woodcock per outing.

All of the answers so far have been correct, there is a definite grey shade between clay and game shells both in shot size and load, say 28 gram of 6.5 and 7's which are dual purpose. Yet we still have as much as £70+ difference in the asking price ! You can ask this question as many times as you like but you will never get a straight answer from the manufacturers, personally I think it's a case of charging what you can get away with.

Take a box of Eley Superbs in size 7 with plastic wad, £200 to you and me, a partridge shooter will have to pay 30% more for the same thing in different packaging with abstract lines swapped for a covey in flight on a frosty morn.

Don't think my back would handle anything over 28i these days in fact off topic a bit but going full time 24i for everything over winter save my stock of 28 for abt season next year.

You obviously had boats then my friend as have i. So you know that boat stands for

bring

out

another

thousand

Was using 32g last weekend ...forgot how much they kicked !

Haven't shot 32 since early 90s thank god.

Duck my dear boy ......Magnum steel 32g....like hunting for elephant .

28, 32 and 36grm for me depending on what I am shooting. All fibre.

No real game shot would ever use plastic wads.

Price is immaterial when shooting game. If you worry about cost of cartridges then it might not be for you....just saying..!

Why does everyone think that clays are the gauge for everything. Ed was spot on.

23,000 clay members v 130,000 Basc members ....plus the missing difference to the 900,000 licenses (approx).....

Terribly sorry if my info is a couple of years out of date.....I am sure an expert will be along shortly.....

Back