What should a Reg round cost ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how much prize money are you expecting for this £32 - £35? None at all perhaps? Or maybe £10? Just a thought.
£75-£60-£50 in AA/AAA less in A, B & C get shop vouchers. 

:fie:  Hampster if you had a ground and ran it like that you would be bankrupt inside a month!

If you had 12 AA class shooters,  17 A class, 37 B class shooters and 58 C class shooters and you paid out how you said I doubt that you would be out of hospital in time to run your second shoot! :crazy:  

AAA is only for International competitions or major classics.

:fie:  Hampster if you had a ground and ran it like that you would be bankrupt inside a month!

If you had 12 AA class shooters,  17 A class, 37 B class shooters and 58 C class shooters and you paid out how you said I doubt that you would be out of hospital in time to run your second shoot! :crazy:  

AAA is only for International competitions or major classics.
They've made a fair crack of it for at least 30 years that I know  :baby:  in the current format of ground and shop in one location for maybe 20 years. They have at least 6 full time staff with numerous long standing part timers; their monthly wage bill must be around the £15k+, not saying they make it all from clays but some keep telling us there is nothing in guns and ammo  :rolleyes:   ;)  they must be doing something right.

Vouchers for lower classes is hardly a problem since it just gets spent on shells and entries anyway.

Good point re vouchers. I think nearly every time I have won money, it has been in my hand for 5 seconds before all or most of it has been handed straight back for an entry card.

Last edited by a moderator:
:fie:  But Will, its your choice what you do with the money? vouchers are only redeemable on the grounds shop etc., if I was given vouchers I would tell them where to shove them in front of everyone! :crazy:  

Thats how to make a ground buzz! Go for for it you crazy spendthrift!  Shop vouchers? FFS.
Think that vouchers, free entry, or any other non monetary prize is not allowed within the CPSA registered prize fund ruling, it clearly states that the differance between competition & birds only is to be paid back within each class........

Maybe thats why some grounds get bigger entries !!!

Not wishing to bust into the Horne thread it would be interesting to get both shooters as well as ground owners views on what exactly a round of reg ESP ought to cost ?

I have lately paid between £30 - £38 for a 100 bird, anything over £35 makes me look around trying to spot the hot spa facilities so when looking at a splash fest portaloo :bad:  , muddy fields for access as well as parking, the mind kind of goes fuzzy even before trying to make a judgement as to target quality.

My favourite shooting ground which by blissful coincidence happens to be clean, with a spacious log cabin, alcohol and eating facilities, hard parking, just off the main road, flush loo and hand washing, open Sundays gun shop, good scorers, huge towers, TWO different birds per stand and excellent quality targets that represent your average, charges £30 for members and I believe £32or4 if not. Their only slip is the fact they only have 10 stands as a very busy couple of extra stands are always running for beginners. 

So you can imagine my surprise when I have to pay £38 anywhere, let alone some twice a month site. 

Maybe you should travel a bit further afield to see what else is out there ..... :mp3:   :mp3:

This thread should be called "what do you WANT a reg round to cost". That would make it fine to state feelings without recourse to any inconvenient financial realities.

A shoot needs to look to its own circumstances of catchment, position etc. if you are the only decent shoot for miles then you can command a high price IF there is the right type of shooter in the area. It also becomes crazy to drive further to a cheap shoot with fuel priced as it is.

Conversely, if you run a slightly poor event, in near driving distance of somewhere great like Weston Wood, you will struggle unless you offer it cheaply. It's a blend of value and situation.

Chanonry old chap, perhaps you should add £25 to that £50 and complete a C.P.S.A. Referee's course. Perhaps then with a good deal of practice, you may be capable of being a, (and I quote) "A half-wit Referee" (unquote) and then when suitably insulted, you too could collect your £50 and make your lonely way home.

Of course you could just shoot for the pleasure, as do we lesser mortals and save yourself some money. 
This " before text means quote, this " after text means unquote. Perhaps you were being ironic ?

Half wit is an accurate description. Not only that, it is the polite version of the description proffered by one of my fellow shooters, and a lady as well. Shocking.

You were not at the shoot. You are not in a position to comment on the quality, intelligence or qualification of the referees. I am. 

These guys have no idea who the CPSA are (nor do they care as they are Scottish), never mind having attended some CPSA course.

Go patronise someone else...

How does £45 for 10 stands with 9 refs sound? (Scottish registered shoots are all subject to a £4 per head levy)
Thought that would elicit a response from you !

£38, lets suggest that at the next few shoots, see how this Supply & Demand crap from the amateur economist pans out !!  

It only works in a perfect market as demonstrated very well by our utility bills, petrol prices etc. We all demand lower gas prices but as we 'have to buy', we get what the market can get away with. I can decide not to shoot, true. Great perspective on the part of the industry

In our case £45, crap targets and the referees !!

Err.. Yes it seems there is only one shoot nearby, supplying an imperfect event for a high price? There is clearly enough demand for it or it would not be sustained.

If there were greater supply (more shoots nearby) then it's likely the price would decrease if there is enough profit per event to stand it. But if the turnout is low then £45 is probably already not lining any bodies pockets well.

Maybe you should travel a bit further afield to see what else is out there ..... :mp3:   :mp3:
Always having the odd dig Phil, and always ignoring the reality that we don't all live within a two hour return drive of other excellent grounds. Nor are you prepared to hear me repeatedly saying I have a life outside clays.

How ironic that we don't see your good self on my patch. 

I do travel a bit farther afield once or thrice a year, often get to experience and shoot different and dare I say even better targets but very rarely do I experience better facilities so forgive me if I don't do 5 hour runs every Sunday and spend an extra £50 on fuel.

Always having the odd dig Phil, and always ignoring the reality that we don't all live within a two hour return drive of other excellent grounds. Nor are you prepared to hear me repeatedly saying I have a life outside clays.

How ironic that we don't see your good self on my patch. 

I do travel a bit farther afield once or thrice a year, often get to experience and shoot different and dare I say even better targets but very rarely do I experience better facilities so forgive me if I don't do 5 hour runs every Sunday and spend an extra £50 on fuel.

FYI..... I have been in contact with Scott at Greenfields to set his comp dates on a different date to those of mine, we always operate the 1st & 3rd Sunday of each month !!!

Plenty of shooters in East Anglia will travel to such other places......

I have many shooting buddies from Kent from my times in Essex.

Im happy to travel.......are YOU !!!

Im happy to travel.......are YOU !!!
Yes, occasionally. The thread title and content though is about asking shooters and ground owners their views of what a round of reg ESP ought to cost, compliment accepted  :pleasantry:  but it isn't about me. 

You're a well known experienced shooter who also runs shoots so your view of the costs would be particularly interesting.  :flowers:

Working on an outlay of say £75000 a small private club could run a 10 stand sporting shoot and charge about 8p per target. ( Clays £70 / 1000 )

So you need 100 people with £750 lying around ( good luck with that ) who are prepared to work on a duty roster ( very good luck with that ), a couple of 'organisers' who will slave away for free and pick up the slack ( actually easy, bloody committee members are ten a penny! ) and a few engineers/handymen ( more difficult ) , all so you can shoot 100 birds for £8-£10.

My experience of privately owned clubs with significant assets ( flying and sailing ) is that the vast majority of members would rather pay double or more to avoid having to 'get involved' so £20 is the starting point. At £30 you leave a little room for a profit and the ability for anyone to pitch up and participate. The more organised the facility the more you expect to pay I suppose.

Mid £30's per 100 seems to be the going rate in the South East at the moment. 

I agree with what Hamster said above. :thumbsu:

My only thought about this would be, do the grounds like, Greenfields, Churchills, Southern Counties, Garlands, and the like, see the shooting as a means to attract customers through their facilities (shop/food etc) and can afford to look at the shooting side as something of a loss leader, because they make sales through the other side of their business?

The site that is just a shoot but nothing much else, has to pay for itself entirely from entry fees.

Looking at Majors like The Classic, British Open etc, with trade stands, catering, transport and other entertainment (pool shoots/have a go stands) seems to me to be good value as it offers an "all day entertainment" package. :biggrin:
t

Trade stands and catering at the British open sporting what event did you attend because edger brothers and Gambore both didn't sell to the general public so hardly trade stands and catering? well let's not go there up a flight of stairs for disabled people or a manky roll served by kids

Deershooter

Last edited by a moderator:
 British open sporting what event did you attend

Deershooter
Same event as you Deershooter. Trouble is we all perceive things differently according to the size of the chip on our shoulder.

I enjoyed the whole thing. Personally I know of your disability and understand how you may have found some navigation around the shoot to be difficult. If I went to a shoot in the Himilayas I expect I would be challenged by the terrain too. But if I didn't think I was capable of getting around, I wouldn't go. You have to understand we are all limited sometimes and the world cannot be changed just to suit us.

Did you miss the dancing girls and fireworks at the end? Magnificent!!  :biggrin:

ha my old mate the bambi hunter , still talking as much bolloxs as ever !!!!!

firstly gamebore were selling merchandise to the public from their trailer 

secondly , Edgar brothers are distributors to the trade and were there for you to try and experience their guns , the amount of sponsorship they have put into the shooting game over the last few years is second to none and should be applauded for this , do you think it will encourage companies to sponsor things in future when they hear pratts like you talking !!!!

in one respect im glad you commented on here because you have made my mind up now on a difficult question i was asked earlier this week from the DSG about a future sporting cup and you and a couple of others make life so difficult for grounds that im going to have to refuse to hold it on any of our sporting events .

thankfully there is enough shooters around who support us and encourage us to do what we are doing by moving the game forward in the future , so good luck where ever you decide to shoot in the future but it wont be with me ever again !!!! 

steve

Latest posts

Back