What is derailing?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

In light of some recent discussions I'd like to ask your opinions as to what constitutes derailing? As an example only, the earlier locked thread started off with the title of Shell Velocity by Clanchief, it then naturally and unavoidably morphed to encompass a few other subjects. For the record I don't see that as a problem and view it as normal course of events and so long as people engage others politely and respectfully what could be better in fact to keep the thread going along and active?

In short is it even desirable or possible to keep absolutely to the thread title, and at what point can you be accused of derailing?

Its like normal conversation IMO they often go off on a tangent thats what makes them interesting. I am all for it and agree with your comment re- being polite during disagreement.

I suppose this is addressed at me - I'm OK with any thread taking an organic ride through whatever topics people have in their minds.

I closed the earlier thread because it was going round in circles, and threatening to be another argument with the regular people at the middle of it.

Its a question of judgement - I think that sometimes threads can so far off topic that they need to have one of two things done to them:

1, Closed because they are useless

2. Split into two because there are two discussions in play

Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I don't - but the earlier thread was closed because it was just in a loop.

Not at all directed at you Matt, I actually totally understood your closing it.

I think things will naturally go a touch off course, as discussed above. As long as each step away from the title is understandable, then fine IMO.

Personally I think a thread goes 'bad' once it gets either personal or dogmatic. Give opinion, but stop short of telling people they are being stupid. Disagree, but not patronisingly and give reasons for the difference in opinion. (I'm sure I have crossed both these lines in the past, but im trying harder now.. :) )

This is a forum that is a privilege to have as a facility for reasonable expression and / or learning. Preaching and blatant commercial advertising should be kept to a minimum ideally IMO.

Eley Blues or Eley Olympic Trap?

I think Matt is Marvellous! True Story.

The bit I cannot figure out is he is neither Micro or Soft ????????    True Story

Thank you Hamster and Matt, I started the thread to talk about shell speed, the for and against speed ? Who would say what and with what experience they could compound their input, yet again it has turned into an I shoot this so it is the best. For what it is worth I have mainly been shooting Fiocchi since getting back into clays, I would prefer another brand but it is harder for me to get there to buy some, that will now change after my recent batch of shells which are not Fiocchi. I have stated before that the constant in house bickering is stoping new members posting and wanting to voice their experience is harmful to this generally nice forum, and is frankly making me not look much or to post comments to any thread. My time may have here may be near the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Hamster and Matt, I started the thread to talk about shell speed, the for and against speed ? Who would say what and with what experience they could compound their input, yet again it has turned into an I shoot this so it is the best. For what it is worth I have mainly been shooting Fiocchi since getting back into clays, I would prefer another brand but it is harder for me to get there to buy some, that will now change after my recent batch of shells which are not Fiocchi. I have stated before that the constant in house bickering is stoping new members posting and wanting to voice their experience is harmful to this generally nice forum, and is frankly making me not look much or to post comments to any thread. My time may have here may be near the end.
I understand your point however i dont give a stuff i say what i think and what i know and if it turns into an argument or gets personal i still dont give a stuff. Would prefer it to be polite but bothered am i. So carry on with your input dont take it to heart.

I understand your point however i dont give a stuff i say what i think and what i know and if it turns into an argument or gets personal i still dont give a stuff. Would prefer it to be polite but bothered am i. So carry on with your input dont take it to heart.
I quite agree.... And although this thread has already been de-railed before page 1 has finished......can I point out that I have 'not' been involved....and I was not the one who mentioned the dreaded F word.... :smile:

I am just agreeing with IPS :smile: although I am probably wrong in someone's eyes that I have never met before :laugh:

Nic

yep i can back you up, you were not involved in this particular derail you are totally innocent on this occasion :)

Nic

yep i can back you up, you were not involved in this particular derail you are totally innocent on this occasion :)
I must have missed out on all this! I haven't been on here that much this week, been rather busy with a stone wall covered in Ivy, or at least it was!!!!

Ips and Nic, the point is getting wearing. Getting personal and a heated discussion is fine, the trouble folk are having is some people are replying posts to a thread that has nothing to do with the title. Sticking to topic is normal, if you have nothing to add to the thread topic then don't post a reply, go somewhere else like Facebook and waffle.

I dont waffle :)

and neither does nic !

Derailment.jpg

Latest posts

Back