Is Fitasc really harder ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamster

Not wanting to gate crash the other thread lest I be accused of deliberate derailing, the thought occured of analysing the oft quoted hype that Fitasc is a harder discipline than ESP - is it really ?

Hard figures tend to dispel myths and although admittedly we would have to disregard one  unmatched mans scores to make the point, it is a point worth raising. Looking at the list of names and their scores in various disciplines it soon becomes clear that with the exception of GD's 95.2 average in ESP, the others and the overall averages between Fitasc and ESP differ by less than

a couple of birds.

It is often said that Fitasc is the F1 of shooting sports where minor technique flaws are exposed leading to spiralling scores and a bump back down to earth ! Not so say the scores, 84.4 is needed to break into the highest ranking of A class; bang in the middle of 82.0 - 86.2 required for AA for ESP ! AAA  is arrived at by 86.3 and I bet there are fewer of them in ESP than there are A's in Fitasc, either way the difference is just 2 birds.

Oh but the distances are much greater, the targets technically harder say the officianados, how come then that Olympic Skeet averages were topped by a mere 93.2 given their relative close nature ? A similar situation exists in All Round despite the fact it is comprised of so called easy disciplines as well as the harder ESP ?! How come Fitasc World events have been won with near perfect scores ?

The detractors of ESP often site it's repetitive nature as the reason it is easier than more random presentations such as SporTrap and Fitasc, yet the former appears easier than ESP looking at the published averages. What you forget is that the very fact you have to repeat the same bird in ESP means once you come up against something you can't hit it is going to really cost you dear, not so in Fitasc. 

Interestingly RF, GD, BenH and C. Childerhouse don't even feature in Fitasc Top 20 this year ! Is that because they find it too hard or is it because they love their shooting too much to stand around all day ?

Ed Solomon shot 8 times as many ESP registered targets last year as he did Fitasc, yet managed to keep an average that defers a mere 1.9 birds, a telling statistic if you factor in the phenomenon of familiarity. And here I believe lies the real reason behind the slightly lower scores in Fitasc, simple familiarity with the whole concept.

How often have you crushed the first pair or two in ESP only to flounder and come away 3 birds shy ? Fitasc would have only needed the first pair.

How often have you missed the first bird out in ESP ? Fitasc often has the comfort zone of a second barrel, no such thing in ESP ever. They are both difficult but in different ways, you need to connect with potentially more angles in Fitasc but in ESP you need to connect and prove it wasn't a one off and do it again.

In answer to those who say Fitasc offers more variety I'd say not necessarily, you can shoot two 100 bird layouts in ESP for similar money and less time (if you so wish) and be presented with as many as 48 different presentatons.

In answer to those who say Fitasc is more social I'd say not necessarily, it all depends on your own approach, nobody is telling you to rush through a 100 birder in ESP, take as much time as you want and have as many breaks as you want and choose your companions too. Don't forget you can be social with others outside of shooting, getting back before 1 o'clock lets you do things with family and friends Fitasc stalwarts would be missing out on ?!

If the availability situation were reversed and Fitasc was to become much more readily available compared to ESP, then I believe people would simply become better at course management in Fitasc and shooting less ESP would soon have you loose the edge when it comes to keeping your head in the stand and not dropping the odd one or two. In other words the slight difference in score averages is no more than the simple reality of familiarity. :)  

Hammy - I don't think the targets are harder then the ones you get in ESP BUT, some of the technique you need to shoot FITASC well make it a harder discipline to master. Having the gun out of the shoulder and not being able to move it until the target is visible does increase the difficulty over ESP. When you shoot the old system certain targets increase in difficulty as you move from peg 1 to peg 3, you might get a difficult target in the singles and doubles on every peg.

Typically in FITASC you will get some interesting sim pairs that would be considered too hard for ESP because in ESP you would shoot 3, 4 or 5 pairs whereas in FITASC the course setter knows you will only get that hard sim pair once.

Last edited by a moderator:
:fie:  Hammy pin your ears back and learn!

1.  Olympic skeet is shot gun down on the hip,    0-3sec delay, weather can alter the birds.

2.  When the Americans started to enter Fitasc C/ships the hierarchy at FITASC Paris decided that  the golden goose had started laying Euros and dumbed down the targets to get every Tom,Dick and Harry shooting fitasc!

In the 80's / 90's  Fitasc  World C/ships were won on  178 ex 200/ 182 ex 200 regularly so its only since 2000 on that high scores have won it.

3. RF and GD and CC, don't feature in the top 20 because they don't shoot selection shoots or shoot enough of them to qualify.

4. The less registered targets you shoot the easier to keep your averages high so that when you look at the top 20 in Fitasc or sporting  don't take notice of Joe Blogs who shot 2 x100 birds competitions with an average of 96% because it could be 2 easier shoots look at someone like Richard King who shoots 4 or 5000 reg sporting  plus  e.skeet plus sportrap.

You can stand on a Fitasc peg and view the targets and think these are easy?  then get in the peg in a big competition with a hitler referee and the pressure of competition  and suddenly they start slipping away. 

2013 home internationals, the ESP was won on 95/100 on what was predicted to be, the after concidered by most a pretty tough but fair course, the FITASC was won on 89/100 on what was predicted to be a 'soft' course, that turned out to be tough to shoot...and remember, 52% of the FITASC targets were singles where two shots could be used!!!

:fie: Hammy pin your ears back and learn!

1. Olympic skeet is shot gun down on the hip, 0-3sec delay, weather can alter the birds.

2. When the Americans started to enter Fitasc C/ships the hierarchy at FITASC Paris decided that the golden goose had started laying Euros and dumbed down the targets to get every Tom,Dick and Harry shooting fitasc!

In the 80's / 90's Fitasc World C/ships were won on 178 ex 200/ 182 ex 200 regularly so its only since 2000 on that high scores have won it.

3. RF and GD and CC, don't feature in the top 20 because they don't shoot selection shoots or shoot enough of them to qualify.

4. The less registered targets you shoot the easier to keep your averages high so that when you look at the top 20 in Fitasc or sporting don't take notice of Joe Blogs who shot 2 x100 birds competitions with an average of 96% because it could be 2 easier shoots look at someone like Richard King who shoots 4 or 5000 reg sporting plus e.skeet plus sportrap.

You can stand on a Fitasc peg and view the targets and think these are easy? then get in the peg in a big competition with a hitler referee and the pressure of competition and suddenly they start slipping away.

Re your points 3 and 4: Selection shoots are nothing to do with it and only shooters with above 500 targets are counted in the top 20 averages..

Reading the above I sense some rivalry, between the two.

My take.

fitasc is a all day event shot in squads more social as you spent time with the squad all day shooting and eating. More interesting targets shot from a hoop, with a set of rules that must be followed. the targets tend to be more technical in nature, and you don't get many of them, so need to work them out quickly.

Sporting is unsquaded usually and can be shot in 1-3 hours, this discipline is about shooting consistency, 3, 4 or 5 pairs on a stand.

I have not shot fitasc yet but will next year.

Overall though surely the point is to enjoy what ever you shoot!

Fantastic question Hamid. As a mainly Sporting Shooter, who has shot FITASC Sporting occasionally but a while ago, I think you are spot on if you are suggesting that neither is any easier or harder than another.

The first limiting factor is the overall difficulty of any shoot. I have shot 100 bird competitions where the winning score has ranged from high 90's to low 80's (effectively a 20% variation in the result) in English and FITASC.

I have shot English Sporting where one (or more) stands of 10 birds has completely beaten me, totally destroying what would otherwise be a reasonable score. When this happens you wish you didn't have so many to shoot at because you know it has trashed your card. In FITASC when an "impossible" target appears you only have to shoot it once with full use of the gun and possibly again as part of a pair, so effectively, damage limitation to your score. I would agree that FITASC course setters do put in a higher percentage of more difficult (distant, fast and odd angles) than in English Sporting so from that point of view it can be considered harder, but to concentrate fully on one target is easier than on a full stand of 10 where (in my case) my concentartion lapses and I let one or two slip away despite hitting the first pairs out. And I fully agree with ShootingGuru that the level of difficulty has decreased in recent years.

As far as gun hold is concerned, as a rough and game shooter that has come into clays as a form of practice for the real thing originally, I do not have to alter anything at all to shoot FITASC. My gun down ready stance has never been questioned in FITASC and I certainly don't move until I see the bird in either discipline because you can't mount on a target that is not in view. The process of mounting with the target as you are preparing to shoot it is integral with my technique.

The extra pressure of FITASC? Well, I can only comment on local County Level registered competition as I have never shot a major qualifier or championship but I actually feel more "at home" and relaxed shooting FITASC because I know at worst you only have a few birds to mess up before you are out of the ring, and if you find a hard one it's gone and you move on to the next, but in English you can feel beaten down by the repetition of missing a certain bird, particularly if you know you have a crowd assembled behind you and not just a handful in your squad. Don't get me wrong here thinking that I suffer from nerves or worry about spectators. To be honest I enjoy a crowd as it spurs me on with an "I'll show you attitude".

My impression of the type of shooter that FITASC attracts is certainly the more "well heeled" competitor. As someone said in another post, just look around the car park at a FITASC shoot to see the difference from English. There may be an elitist attitude amongst the shooters, indeed I went recently to an English Sporting Practice which was running alongside a FITASC shoot and apart from one competitor who is personally known to me, and two other members of this forum who I forced myself onto to introduce myself, nobody said a word to me even when I followed one squad through a parcour, or back in the clubhouse. Now I don't expect people who don't know me (and that was most likely the problem as I'm not known in FITASC circles) to welcome me with open arms, but at your average English Sporting event it seems to me more friendly and less insular. As FITASC is shot in pre-arranged squads they tend to be shooters getting together with others known to them as a regular squad but in English anybody could be before or after you or waiting around to shoot so it mixes people up more.

The conclusion to this for me is that each type can be harder or easier depending on the target presentation and which would I shoot given a level playing field in terms of cost and time restraints? Well, it would be FITASC first and English second as it more closely represents the sport which ultimately I am practicing for. After all you don't get to ask a pheasant to go back so you can have another go when you have emptied both barrels at it do you?  :biggrin:

:fie:  Hammy pin your ears back and learn!

1.  Olympic skeet is shot gun down on the hip,    0-3sec delay, weather can alter the birds.

2.  When the Americans started to enter Fitasc C/ships the hierarchy at FITASC Paris decided that  the golden goose had started laying Euros and dumbed down the targets to get every Tom,Dick and Harry shooting fitasc!

In the 80's / 90's  Fitasc  World C/ships were won on  178 ex 200/ 182 ex 200 regularly so its only since 2000 on that high scores have won it.

3. RF and GD and CC, don't feature in the top 20 because they don't shoot selection shoots or shoot enough of them to qualify.

4. The less registered targets you shoot the easier to keep your averages high so that when you look at the top 20 in Fitasc or sporting  don't take notice of Joe Blogs who shot 2 x100 birds competitions with an average of 96% because it could be 2 easier shoots look at someone like Richard King who shoots 4 or 5000 reg sporting  plus  e.skeet plus sportrap.

You can stand on a Fitasc peg and view the targets and think these are easy?  then get in the peg in a big competition with a hitler referee and the pressure of competition  and suddenly they start slipping away. 

Regarding point 1, Fitasc is shot gun down as well, so is ESP as it happens, by far the majority of good Sporting shooters have the gun out of the shoulder to some degree.

Regarding point 2, in the 80's and 90's straw balers were also won with 45x50, it's more lately that skill levels have gone through the roof. As for dumbing down of targets; my post was directed at Fitasc as it is now and as it is intended to be by the governing body, not how a group of people like to reminisce how it was back in the day.

2013 home internationals, the ESP was won on 95/100 on what was predicted to be, the after concidered by most a pretty tough but fair course, the FITASC was won on 89/100 on what was predicted to be a 'soft' course, that turned out to be tough to shoot...and remember, 52% of the FITASC targets were singles where two shots could be used!!!
There will always be extremes, I downloaded and printed the Top 20 results and stared at them for a good while, figures begin to look less fearful than some people make out believe me. 

It's a reasonable assumption to think the more you shoot the better you'll get, that's my point about Fitasc, it just isn't accessible or affordable enough to the masses otherwise the existing 2 bird deficit will vanish into thin air. 

North Ayrshire winter series FITASC, 75 birds over 3 Pacours of 25, with decent payback for £25...

North Ayrshire winter series FITASC, 75 birds over 3 Pacours of 25, with decent payback for £25...
Very good value but a bit of a trip from Devon! Would certainly miss my lunch doing this one!  :biggrin:

There's nothing like this near me unfortunately.

Rf, Gd, and Cc don't do so many FITASC shoots because they haven't got all day to ponce around shooting a100 birds with poor payouts when they can do 2 or 3 100 sporting with more than a fair chance of winning something at all of them. Let's be honest at that level who can blame them, for these chaps it's not the taking part that counts, it's how much can I make this weekend to fund the following weekend, best of luck to em as well

Is Fitasc more difficult? Don't care really if it is or it isn't. Just had a day at Westfield and it was brilliant, proper Fitasc with proper targets needing mental and physical effort and usually a bit of lead! The best sporting ever does not compare with this at all - never.

Is Fitasc more difficult? Don't care really if it is or it isn't. Just had a day at Westfield and it was brilliant, proper Fitasc with proper targets needing mental and physical effort and usually a bit of lead! The best sporting ever does not compare with this at all - never.
Then why do so few shoot it, why do so many chose to shoot ESP instead including some very big names ?! A days shooting isn't judged by everyone on two or three big lead clays but a host of things, I'm surprised if the Sporting shoots you typically come across don't have a smattering of big lead clays.

Could not agree with you more Wylye compared to the mundane repetitive nature of some sporting layouts its a breath of fresh air, after a full day out at southdown recently under the watchful eye of Madmatt and his brilliant tuition were some very testing targets requiring lots of different shooting techniques and great company it was probably one of the most enjoyable days shooting I have ever had.

I guess the reason people often refer to fitasc the rolls Royce of shooting is not down to target difficulty but the whole concept being far superior.

Back