What if...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddmatt

you could go back in time, to when you first started shooting. What, if anything, would you do differently?

I would have had lessons much earlier on and would have definitely had my gun fitted much earlier then I did.

I would have taken up shooting clay as well as shooting game. When I think back now I must have been mad not doing that ! Its a wonder that I hit any pheasants at all but the nearest shooting ground was an 80 mile round trip and I stupidly thought it was not worth it! I did try it once and thought it was meh! That was sporting however I now shoot trap and find it far more engaging, which is odd because it nowt like shooting woodcock, pheasants and the like. Now a snipe that is like extreme trap if you don't shoot it before it crap's it gone :)

edit and of course Matt you are right about the coaching, not certain about the gun fit my one is off the shelf and it feels great !

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have taken up Karting and be earning a stupendous living in motorsport, prolly world champion or something. Alternatively I would have got seriously into snooker and made the top 50 and still made a damn good living, then I could afford to shoot clays even more with more expensive guns and at worst be one class lower.

PS. I had one lesson to try and suss left to rights, I'd like that money back if poss.

Believe it or not i would not do anything different as i loved it then as i do now however as it coincided with me getting married about the same time to the 1st Mrs nut case maybe i would not have done that. :)

Therefore i would have shot even more than i did :)

I would have started with a 12 bore instead of listening to all those people who said 20's were for 'ladies', and saved myself a fortune on cartridges...

And that's about it....I think the 'journey' as you learn about everything is all part of the fun...if that doesn't sound too much pretentious bollocks.....

I would not have spent as much money trying different makes/styles of chokes.

I would stick with extended chokes because they have certain advantages but otherwise I don't think that there is enough difference between any of them to worry about.

Vic.

So knowing what I know now I would not have listened to all the free advice, never joined the gun of the month club, and right off avoided all of the fascination w bells and whistles and gimcracks and gewgaws.   With the saving of that vast amount of $ that were just pissed into the wind I could've gotten a decent Perazzi at the git and been happy ever after.  

or ...................................

I would've not taken up shooting as I am hooked and now know this is going to cost me quite a few thousand a year....too late now... Yes I have spent 6.5K so far on gun, cartridges, clays and stuff to make you shoot better......and I've only had my SGL for 1 month!

Sent from my Sinclair ZX80 using dial up

Wish I had taken, after a couple of lessons the advice of a certain Ernie Wilkins at Chatcombe circa 1988, " you'd be good at this, even more so if you put some work in" oh i replied but at weekends i play cricket, " well its then that you would need to shoot and compete regularly to improve" to which I replied " think I will keep playing cricket for a few more years"

It wasn't the first piece of sound advice I'd ignored nor had it been the last

Wish I had taken, after a couple of lessons the advice of a certain Ernie Wilkins at Chatcombe circa 1988, " you'd be good at this, even more so if you put some work in" oh i replied but at weekends i play cricket, " well its then that you would need to shoot and compete regularly to improve" to which I replied " think I will keep playing cricket for a few more years"

It wasn't the first piece of sound advice I'd ignored nor had it been the last
just given up playing cricket after 24 years to take up clay shooting. I loved playing and glad it came to a natural end....I wouldn't have been able to do both, so shooting now is the right time for me. Addicted now though and listening to the advice from the old and wise on here...

I'd have got into trap shooting sooner than I did. Too many years spent shooting skeet.

I would have kept my original gun, heavy, unsuitable for clays ( I was told ) and barrels were toooo short!!!. Listened to the sage advice and struggled for years..:(

Not asked so many questions on here or tried to apply science ;-p

I would simply choose any gun, take brain out and shoot as much as possible. Simples.

Just wish I had started shooting regularly and competitively much sooner. I wasted years in hindsight..

I wish i'd not let woman rule my life and make me quit shooting for 10 years, back on it now and never giving up again, might have to steady down at times if funds are tight, but never quit again!

If I had listened to good advice about searching for grail guns and stuck with my first Miroku I could have saved a fortune!!!

I shot a bit many years ago and wish I would have stuck with it then............ many wasted years (shooting wise that is).

Still, enjoying it now........... better late than never :nyam:

Latest posts

Back