What does "Marmite Gun" mean?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmmmm , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  they perhaps are not always a necessity

so here are a few

It has' been my, unfortunate, observation that, few, person's, on either side of the pond, pretending to be English speaker's actually are, to anything more than a very, limited extent.  Proper spelling, and punctuation, appear to remain near universal mysteries.  My, own, abilities', though, admittedly meager, seem almost god'ly, in comparison to what I encounter, and to which I am subject'ed, on a daily basis'.

is that better?   :thumbsu:   I added a few apostrophe's' to help out
So, WHO learns you yer gear english then      ?       🤔

@Will Hewland That’s so true!

About 13 years ago, I being a Lancashire man, working as an interim production manager for a subcontract Engineering company in Cornwall, speaking to a Welsh machinist had to have a Cornishman interpreter to discuss an engineering drawing. I’m serious!

Now I work for an scientific instruments manufacturer in Oxford, and I can understand the Brazilian field applications scientist, the German microbiologist, the Malaysian senior scientist and the South African software engineer  more easily than I can understand the Irish CEO

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not picking sides in this linguistic dispute, but I overheard a great new word when on holiday in the US. We were in the Rocky mountains so at a bit of altitude . Anyway this young girl was praising her mother for how well she had "acclimatated" to the increase in altitude.

However when it comes to the English language being crucified. I worked in a university department where one on the servitors was from Chorley in Lancashire ? ... Lets just say a translator would have been handy :lol:  I also worked with a lovely wee lassie from the Welsh valleys. I could not understand a word she said for the better part... see  :lol:   As far as I remember every sentence ended with the word "see"... see :lol:

I am not picking sides in this linguistic dispute, but I overheard a great new word when on holiday in the US. We were in the Rocky mountains so at a bit of altitude . Anyway this young girl was praising her mother for how well she had acclimatated" to the increase in altitude.

However when it comes to the English language being crucified. I worked in a university department where one on the servitors was from Chorley in Lancashire ? ... Lets just say a translator would have been handy :lol:  I also worked with a lovely wee lassie from the Welsh valleys. I could not understand a word she said for the better part... see  :lol:   As far as I remember every sentence ended with the word "see"... see :lol:
I am in a fishing club in Horwich, near Chorley, Lancashire. I go to the monthly meetings and rarely have a clue as to what is being said. I held a conversation with a member at the fishery on one occasion, it must have lasted around 30 minutes without my understanding a word that he said. Mind you, I was born and bred in Liverpool and I am at a loss to understand Liverpool people either..............................maybe it's cos I'm deaf   ???    😂    

This might not be the best time to admit that I was born and brought up in Coppull, a small village just two miles south of Chorley. 
my girlfriend is Welsh. She can’t understand me much either.

Perhaps that’s why we get along so well 🤔

This might not be the best time to admit that I was born and brought up in Coppull, a small village just two miles south of Chorley. 
my girlfriend is Welsh. She can’t understand me much either.

Perhaps that’s why we get along so well 🤔
I used to live in coppull when i was married to the first mrs nutjob. 👍

I used to live in coppull when i was married to the first mrs nutjob. 👍
This is getting a bit surreal.

I moved out of Coppull after divorcing MrsPNutJob1 and ended  up in Cornwall and married MrsPNutJob2 and divorced soon after moving to Wiltshire.

Now in Northamptonshire with a lovely (sane) Welsh lady. So... Yes... Northamptonshire... well, I guess you can’t have everything, can you?

I recognise this is probably making me sound like an embittered, misogynistic grumpy old tw...it. 

I have no defence.  😬

Good thread drift into wife sanity ratings. 😆

True and recent story: After giving my wife a bloody good listening to I suggested to her that she should “find somebody else then”. Her immediate response was “No, I can’t be bothered to train another one”

😳

This is getting a bit surreal.

I moved out of Coppull after divorcing MrsPNutJob1 and ended  up in Cornwall and married MrsPNutJob2 and divorced soon after moving to Wiltshire.

Now in Northamptonshire with a lovely (sane) Welsh lady. So... Yes... Northamptonshire... well, I guess you can’t have everything, can you?

I recognise this is probably making me sound like an embittered, misogynistic grumpy old tw...it. 

I have no defence.  😬
Defo surreal.

I was on preston rd 1989 - 1992 then bought new build in 1992 at moss bank end of park rd until 97 when 1st mrs nutjob and i parted company on very very unamicable terms. Been with current mrs ips since 98....now live 3 miles away due west.. ..for the reckord current mrs ips is a keeper as my good friend westley will confirm 👍

PS

You mention Wiltshire, I grew up near calne in the 60s as my dad was RAF regular stationed at compton basset

Defo surreal.

I was on preston rd 1989 - 1992 then bought new build in 1992 at moss bank end of park rd until 97 when 1st mrs nutjob and i parted company on very very unamicable terms. Been with current mrs ips since 98....now live 3 miles away due east....for the reckord current mrs ips is a keeper as my good friend westley will confirm 👍

PS

You mention Wiltshire, I grew up near calne in the 60s as my dad was RAF regular stationed at compton basset
Good lord! I lived in Corsham. My children go to Box Primary.

’tis indeed as they say, a small world 

OK - I misread you.  I share your pain  :phew:   That form you show is one that I've heard applied to other words and a usage that I find particularly repellent.  Seems to be a fave usage by the willfully ignorant poseurs of erudition. 

OK - so got me wondering.  Here's something similar but I find nothing for "acclimatated" which seems to not be a word

Orientate is standard in British English, you orientate something when you point it in a particular direction, hence orientated. In American English, you orient something, hence oriented.

englishplus.com/grammar suggests it is more widely accepted in the UK than in the US but should be avoided in formal writing. I found similar comments at wordwizard.com. I don't have the tools to do the formal statistical analysis, but growing up in the UK I don't think I ever heard anyone say the shorter form, hence my assertion that it is standard. I should probably have said more common in British English, and would love to see the stats if anyone can provide them.

the above is from

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/11874/oriented-vs-orientated

and I still find it really bothersome to hear

Back