What did you do today that’s shooting related?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot clays at a syndicate bbq and shoot day. Used the SxS and my home loads. Shot very well for a change, all the home loads went bang and majority of targets broke 😁

. I cleaned the barrels of both my centrefires and checked zero. And I set up my new pard night vision add on. All ready for the start of the foxes.

Rubbed some oil and slippery dicks wax into my new adjustable stock for my dt11.

Also rubbed down the sharp ribs on side of the Schnabel forend down to flush to make it a little more comfortable on my index finger and reoiled.

Adjusted the comb to 36/46/60 and patterned it to check the fit.

Pretty much got her set just how I want now for the season.

20190319_194028.jpg

went out for a 50 birder and absolutely had a great day, good friends,nice weather, just being out and about,happy days.

Went out and did two 50 birders with my usual shooting partner ( he's the one that got me into it in the first place 2.5 years ago, so has a LOT to answer for). He shot well,as usual!

my shooting was a disgrace, absolutely pants.

but there is always next Sunday  :frantics:

Sold my pimped up Mossberg pump 😢. However It was a pleasure to see the smiles on  faces of the nice young guys who bought it , as they walloped half a box of Victory 35gms down our  field  ( bang clack , bang clack , bang clack ) , in a try before you buy .    I’d defy any one to shoot a 24” pump and not grin like a Cheshire Cat . 

I’m now set to eBay a lot of excess Fly and Big Game fishing stuff with the object of clearing out the toy box ,and ending up with some readies towards  a nice  side by side or perhaps a 20 bore O/U as my carry more than shoot piece . 
Priority at the moment is learning to point a O/U in the right direction and I don’t need any distractions BUT, it’s a given that I’ll eventually find a way of justifying a pump ..there was a wood louse in my kitchen only the other day for example, it would be essential! Incidentally why are pumps so cheap? 

Bought another gun - just for the hell of it.
Oooo! Hope it fits me :D  

Ordered my new Castellani Rio vest - will be my first ‘proper’ non hand me down vest. Sorry to say (I know some of you don’t like it) I’ve also joined the embroidered name club! 😃

Embroidered names are not a bad thing , at my age I’ve forgotten anyone’s name 10 steps into a shooting ground ! You’ve reminded me that I’ve been meaning to take a vest down to the local embroidery shop . 

Took the action apart on my Daytona as the top lever latch was stuck and the lever wouldn't stay open.  Easy enough go strip. I thought 15min job. Anyway I found the plunger was stuck flush in the top lever so nothing to get hold of to free it up. 2 1/2 hours later at 1: 30 am got it free after heating the top lever and spraying oil in the aree of the hole several times and tapping it on a workbench.  Got it out and gave it good clean and a bit of oil. Cleaned the action and all the other bits as I think the previous owner must of had a problem with cleaning and had neglected it (that is another story) it was filthy. a bit of fresh oil on them and re assembled.  Job done. Although a bit tired and burned fingers happy to have fixed it and cleaned.

Last edited by a moderator:
ordered "distance" glasses from Specsavers
Collected "distance" glasses from specsavers, and a pair of bifocals, (buy one get one free.) They make everything look clear and bright, can't wait to try them for shooting soon.

Interestingly, after the sale, I was given a voucher for another pair at half price, do I need another pair? maybe I do.

Packed up a few items I’ve sold on eBay . Shooting boots , fly rods , fly reels , and even some big game fishing gear .

In retirement I’m being ruthless with the toy box , and if it hasn’t been used in the last year or two it’s on it’s way . All proceeds to wards my 20gauge fund which I started by selling the Mossi .  I’m operating a strict nothing new unkess something goes policy  , after years of buying” just because”  .

I’m pleasantly surprised the prices that quality kit is returning. 

D413ABBA-08CE-440D-9665-D12250A6B741.jpeg

A follow on from a couple of days ago regarding the Bowman trap my pal and myself brought back to life. God knows how long it stood out in all weathers but we bought it anyway.

BEFORE

Then a little welding, rip off the badly rusted seat, remove as much rust as possible, remove the arms and replace the rubber strips along with the teal plates/springs, polish the arms, paint the entire unit including main spring, change nuts n bolts where possible and finally with a new aluminium seat base and seat cushion from some gym kit ....................... DONE

Phil
superb mate !

Collected "distance" glasses from specsavers, and a pair of bifocals, (buy one get one free.) They make everything look clear and bright, can't wait to try them for shooting soon.

Interestingly, after the sale, I was given a voucher for another pair at half price, do I need another pair? maybe I do.
I did this. Ordered brown tint, then used the voucher for the yellow tint version. Specsavers call it Ultradrive I think..

Can I ask what you thought of the yellow ultra drive lenses? 
Really good, I’ve used them for four years now. It’s about a 40% light transmitter. I use it 80% of the time. They also do a bright yellow but that would only be for very dark days. 

Latest posts

Back