Weston Wood - 19Th Feb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
What a difference a day makes - short run up to Weston Wood for me today, only 45 mins - and in bright sunshine the whole way.Quick bacon roll before booking on an heading out. Weather stayed decent all the way round, some bright sunshine which made a couple of stands a bit challenging - but all-in-all a lovely day to be out shooting.

We went the 'wrong' way round - starting at the pond with a battue right to left, with an O/R bird off the tower - then into the woods. Watched Amber Hill pulverising some battue l/r on the next stand with a nice dollied up incomer - lovely stand to make you think about changing gun speed and keeping steady for a second bird. There was an excellent stand with a high right to left off the tower with a driven midi on report - sun straight in your eyes for the natural kill point - so logical solution was an early kill on that and then more time for the midi - tough stand with bright sunshine. The g/a straight bird and low incoming on report was a tricky pair - curling just enough to miss. The looper left to right followed by quartering right to left did for me - I couldn't get them at all and properly confused myself trying to work things out - onwards and downwards!

Enjoyed the stand with a high right to left followed by the jumping bunny - was great to watch people smoking the bunnies in mid-air - that was my only straight of the day. Stand 1 on the mound was another bunny - quick left to right bunny followed by a flat right/left on report. Stand opposite the pool shoot was the pair of simo teals and then the 'extra' stand squeezed in next to the pool shoot was lovely - an overhead g/a with a right to left midi that must have had ice on it by the time I broke it two out of three times - about 10 or 12ft lead by my reckoning.

We finished on the platform - with a quartering left to right and a fast incomer left to right on report - suitably tricky. I took a 57 - some silly mistakes and one or two rubbish stands, not sure if I am going to get back the form I had in January - but practice, practice, practice seems to be in order.

I saw plenty of ShootClayers there - my squad was Fuz, Mrs Fuz and TipTop and we saw Andy S, Phil, Clever, Mrs Clever, LHS and his very funny entourage! Apologies if I've missed anyone! (edit - of course, had a quick chat with Chris Childerhouse as well)

Lovely day out in the sunshine, I cannot wait until it starts getting warmer!

Last edited by a moderator:
A really nice shoot, shame I didnt really do it justice. Was so up and down I felt like a yo-yo :angry: scored a miserable 1 on the stand by the pond then went 7, 5, straight, straight, straight. then the wheels fell off again :( ended up with 3 straights, two 1's, a 2 and the rest 1 away or just around 50%. The longer stuff I am nailing now but seem to have lost the close whippy stuff that I used to mince ??? Still managed a 64 so not too bad and around average but really frustrated I cant seem to put everything together on the same day :angry: Really loved the close rabbit, thrown along the deck at a ramp which lobbed it about 10ft in the air, think Steve has been reading the funny target thread :lol:

Laying off the registered next week to shoot a strawbaler with the family so will hopefully come back refreshed and be more relaxed. the amount of registered targets I'm shooting at the moment is bordering on silly, need to have a chill and do some practice in between rather than busting a gut on all out comps. Quality over quantity for a month or so I think :)

It was good again, but I really didnt like the `sun` stand. It was about my eigth stand and I increased my losses there by about 50%.. Straighted the pond stand. Finished on a 78 after a very poor performance on the tower. I think it was similar to last time and I shot it from memory, but it was not the same.. Twit.

Cheers,

CSC3

On the 'sun affected' stand, I did see some shooters withdraw their cards and wait for a cloud to obscure the sun, and then shoot it... Even though, i think I heard them say that they 'doubled they losses' on that stand :)))))

Yeah, I got one pair with cloud assistance. Then it was all a bit bright. I do admit that i struggle with this scenario, as I do hate the glare AND I hate shooting stuff early, which would have helped..

You shot that well Phil..

Ho hum..

CSC3

any body know what score won W-W today sounds tough by these posts ??
I no Tim Thornet shot 92 & i think Kirk Bridges shot 93 when i left but still some good shots out there, good scores though, with my pop gun Clinto the corks fell to pieces .,

Good shoot again.dead easy to drop 1or 2 on a stand when you least expected too.

Last edited by a moderator:
poor old Chipper never had me to talk you round . :cool: over the years I have done the iron man 2many times can't say I'm a fan 2 100 birders at two differing venues can wilt you quicker than you realise, targets today need alot of concentration as most are not actually doing what they look to be doing ??? with what you shot at Windrush I'm sure you will sleep easy tonite m8

I no Tim Thornet shot 92 & i think Kirk Bridges shot 93 when i left but still some good shots out there, good scores though, with my pop gun Clinto the corks fell to pieces .,
bring her in for a tune m8 that stock might want the belt sander or if you feel it's the cork strings we can lengthen them :.:

So what were the scores on the doors.......

AA1 O Baker 95

AA2 R Cherry 94

AA3 K Bridges 93

AA3 J Towell 93

A1 R Davis 90

A2 CJ Crockford 89

A2 S Scott Smith 89

B1 C Bubb 86

B2 RJ Boffin 84

B3 A Payne 83

B4 S Rowe 82

C1 D Grayson 82

C2 K SMith 79

C3 P Tibbatts 77

C4 B Kinch 76

Jnr: S Edwards 79

Vet: B Dunbavin 87

Ldy: B Bream 80

Pool: C CHilderhouse 11 overall winner, M Farrow B/C Class on 9

total payout over £1100!

Well shot everyone. Great day, overall the feedback was really good and some personal bests achieved by many today which is really pleasing :0)

Steve does like the 'odd' targets, rabbits seem to be the easiest to play around with - last Summer it was rolled over a ramp on the far side of the pond - many variations on this theme but with it running through the undergrowth before diving off the edge of the bank into the pond it was certainly a challenge! He did have a phase of lifting the rubber mat with a ramp to make it seriously jump too, I guess from the feedback I've heard today he must have decided kangaroos are back in town?! He has a few other trick targets in his mind too - luckily for you lot he hasn't yet mustered up the energy to the get the rabbit trap up the towers or on the cherry picker...... God help you when he does though!!

Glad you enjoyed the day, that's what it's all about and I realised today how little I hear now of people worrying about their averages all the time - has the fun really come back into sunday registered shoots or is this just a blip?? I hope not, smiling faces make the day go quicker.

Back to Weston Wood for a whole new layout in 2 weeks - 4th March. Hope you can join us for more kangaroo fun.....or will it be rabbits.....or hares......or a suicidal rabbit on a 40ft tower....?? :eek: come and see.....

Ally

How you doing Clynt

Just the one mate and not so brilliant :oops: 81 .Was on top form at the pub though.

Did you venture out today ???

How you doing Clynt

Just the one mate and not so brilliant :oops: 81 .Was on top form at the pub though.

Did you venture out today ???
just seen the scores m8 not much to play with there then took a closer option put a bit in about it under st dials 120 mile round trip for me to the wood and if chipper cant bang a score in there I surely wont . ;)

Latest posts

Back