Westfield 9th feb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Classifications are based on averages, to win you must shoot above average, you shoot above average, your classification goes up along with your average, to win at your new classification you must now shoot more than everyone else at your new average...84 in C, so what, if he keeps shooting like that he'll be in A or AA long before most of the majors

Totally agree with you Hammy,and it does happen in all classes.

Take the week before at weston wood different person 92 in B class,H/G 95 :eek:  same person this week at westfield 50 his average across the  two shoots71 bang in the middle of B :bb:

The classes B and above are supposed be shooters with roughly the same averages within about 7 clays of each other,there are going to be days when someone puts in a blinder,some will shot the averages,some will shoot crap,it happens.

For the people at the top, the thing that defines them from the rest of us mere mortals of the lower ranks is probably consistancey with scores more than anything else,which in turn will help you go through the class structure.

As for C class it is a starting point for many,all of which will have varying abilities,some will struggle others will do well...."and thats just the way it is". :yes:

Take the week before at weston wood different person 92 in B class,H/G 95 :eek: same person this week at westfield 50 his average across the two shoots71 bang in the middle of B :bb:

:yes:
Remember, when you average those two scores together, the 50 gets dropped and his average is 92...

That was just an instance on top score, to a bad score by a shooter from one week to the next. Depends on his "RAW" average to wether it would be dropped or not,but yes a 50 in B would be a dropper,but may not if he was in C.

It makes me laugh that some people on here think that they are obviously qualified to make the judgement that a particular score is too high for a certain class!! 

Seriously, like most are saying, it happens, so get over it. All i can assume is that your bitter and twisted because you missed the boat on your way up through the classes!

Someone mentioned George Digweed in an earlier post and he is a good example of how the AAA/AA class also doesn't cover everyone as Hamster says! It also shows that either end of the spectrum and classes cannot possibly cover everyone that they are meant for. It is the same for golf and many other sports and as a 3 handicapper who has played golf for many years i have come across huge varieties in scores in that sport too. I never had a chance of winning anything in handicap competitions and also very little chance of winning anything off scratch either due to there always being far better golfers than me in the bigger events. It happens come to terms with it and move on or you will end up a bitter and twisted individual and it's going to ruin your own shooting in the end.

Moore K-80 said:
Exactly, and that handicap cut would have been in place there and then so playing off a lower handicap the NEXT time out, not 6 months time.
This is a fault with the system but it is the rules that everyone comes under no matter what class they are in. I think everyone here agrees that the system isn't perfect and needs modifying. But just like golf in the lower classes or higher handicaps the scores can be much wider spread week in week out due to the lack of consistency inherent with this class. You'll never be able to cover such a wide spectrum of scores no matter what you implement.

As I nearly always say in these discussions -  the way to solve this would be to move people up quicker and down slower. I find it incredible that we cannot have a dynamic class system, where you can move up to a higher class at the next (e.g.) monthly interval, and only move down if your average drops for (e.g.) 3 months... if at all. 

That way - if someone (like Mike) comes into the sport at c-class and outperforms consistently for 300 targets in the space of a month - then he should move up quickly to compete with his peers.  

The 3 month delay in dropping down would mean that if someone wanted to deliberately sandbag - they would have to consistently shoot below their average to drop down... longer the delay, the harder this would be. Not shooting, would not be an option.

It feels like a fairly trivial change to implement a system like this - inputs from shoot08 could do most of the work, its only a simple set of business rules that need to applied for a dynamic class system to exist. 1st working day of the month could be the refreshed classes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done mike bartlett doing the cheaper shoots untill you have a good average is the best way to learn unless you have plenty of wedge to spend on coaching and registered shoots every week. 

Happy days!! Never had a problem with Mikes score in the first place, bloody good score whatever the class!! Some good posts!!

Good shooting Mike and keep it up, don't worry to much about the classifications - I would recommend you book into some of the bigger shoots like the Essex Masters, on today's form I would back you, no pressure though

Well shot Mike - correctly predicted :biggrin:  The Essx Masters has to be the best comp in the shooting calender, sadly I only managed to shoot 156 .......... 77 on the Red course and 79 on the Black. I felt I shot well on the more challenging stands but let to many slip by on the easier ones. Already looking fwd to next Year......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Neil I really enjoyed my first Essex masters!! I thought it was an excellently run shoot and John Dyson's targets were great!! A great mix for all abilities and some really technical and deceptive stuff.

It makes me laugh that some people on here think that they are obviously qualified to make the judgement that a particular score is too high for a certain class!! 

Seriously, like most are saying, it happens, so get over it. All i can assume is that your bitter and twisted because you missed the boat on your way up through the classes!

Someone mentioned George Digweed in an earlier post and he is a good example of how the AAA/AA class also doesn't cover everyone as Hamster says! It also shows that either end of the spectrum and classes cannot possibly cover everyone that they are meant for. It is the same for golf and many other sports and as a 3 handicapper who has played golf for many years i have come across huge varieties in scores in that sport too. I never had a chance of winning anything in handicap competitions and also very little chance of winning anything off scratch either due to there always being far better golfers than me in the bigger events. It happens come to terms with it and move on or you will end up a bitter and twisted individual and it's going to ruin your own shooting in the end.
can't fault your shooting, but the best thing for you is to get into AA where you belong , The only person not clear as to what your up to is you, any one can have a higher than expected score but week after week, shame on the CPSA for letting it happen

Hey Guys,

You ain't seen nothing yet. If you have a disability it's a double wammy . When is the human race going to have a reality check? Blame the system , blame the shooter but at the end of the day it is an intolerance of your fellow humans and jealousy! At some point in time you will have your comeuppance . I know Mike and he is in a no win situation through no fault of his own. When you are disabled as well, the bigotry is magnified. I will never be a George Digweed but I enjoy this sport which has been my saviour after being paralysed from the neck down. Preserve your sport and your dignity guys life is too short !!!!!!!!!

What's the problem? The balance will be restored when Mike moves up onto A or AA in a couple of months...then when Mike whacks in a big score it will be fine, he's A/AA and that's what they are ment to be shooting!!! Last years Jason on here was in the same situation...don't hear any grumbles about his scores now...same guy, different class!!!

Back