Westfield 9th feb

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The system is what the system is...you can't help that!

You have 3 and half months left before A/AA...it will go really quickly I bet!

Certainly is a loophole though. I would like to see anyone without an average in the current 12 month classification period become un-classified and have to shoot another 300 reg targets etcetera to become classified again...

On the subject of cost, as is regularly pointed out, the CPSA has little to do with the price of a reg, that is determined by the ground. £22 for a 100 bird comp sounds a little too good to be true! Here in Hampshire you generally expect to pay £30 for practice and I know places that are as much as £36/100 just for practice!! I'd like to see how the economics work for people only charging £22 because I know charging £30 is hardly a licence to print money!
Exactly! 

Yes only 3 and a half months and i could have started earlier in December but i didn't!

I couldn't agree more and your suggestion is a good idea in my opinion. 

So i got 3 shoots for the price you'd pay for 2 down your way! I couldn't afford to shoot where you live :) I don't question it i just shoot there :)

The system is what the system is...you can't help that!

You have 3 and half months left before A/AA...it will go really quickly I bet!

Certainly is a loophole though. I would like to see anyone without an average in the current 12 month classification period become un-classified and have to shoot another 300 reg targets etcetera to become classified again...

On the subject of cost, as is regularly pointed out, the CPSA has little to do with the price of a reg, that is determined by the ground. £22 for a 100 bird comp sounds a little too good to be true! Here in Hampshire you generally expect to pay £30 for practice and I know places that are as much as £36/100 just for practice!! I'd like to see how the economics work for people only charging £22 because I know charging £30 is hardly a licence to print money!
surely these are club shoots!! I shoot 80 birds for £10 at one club and 60 birds for £7 at another club. £20-25 membership. Cheap as chips!!

surely these are club shoots!! I shoot 80 birds for £10 at one club and 60 birds for £7 at another club. £20-25 membership. Cheap as chips!!
Got you...so these are clubs run by the shooters for the shooters at break even on very low or zero costs other than clays and traps.

I knew some people wouldn't like it but i have done nothing wrong or against the rules! I do have genuine reasons for not entering registered shoots over the last two years. Being demorilised at the county Championships at Longridge 2 years ago when i shot a 50 and realising that i was out of my league and not ready for those type of targets. I also couldn't afford to shoot many registered shoots so thought it would be better to shoot cheaper club shoots more often and get better that way.

The CPSA shouldn't make registered shoots so damn expensive either as cost was and is always an issue too :)

I shoot two club shoots which are at the difficult end of club shoots and these are only £22 for a 100 but you cant win anything except for being top of the spreadsheets when they are emailed out. It's like birds only at registered shoots but that costs £32+. To me on a tight budget it's a no brainer!

Although we have not shot together Clynt we have met several times last year at SWSG friday shoots. I have also just had my gun completely refitted by John Jeffries who did Becky's gun, after is was incorrectly fitted by someone else. This has made a big difference after years of shooting guns that haven't fitted or suited me whatsoever. As you may remember i am not your average size so standard off the shelf doesn't fit my like it does other people.

The reason that i have just started shooting registered events again is because i have gone as far as i can at club level and i am being encourage by others to try to get to the next level, but to to this i need to shoot registered shoots. With the CPSA class system it is my understanding that it is changed after 31st May so that it isn't long.

You are a fantastic shot and where i aspire to get to but please don't judge me as my reason are genuine.
sorry you thought my post was a judgement Mike, I tend to see things many choose to ignore, rightly or wrongly I felt it needed airing ? your explanation and honesty I admire .but...... the fact remains  you are shooting in a class way below your current ability ? C class is the beginning of the sport for many, and any achievement there is to be encouraged,with realism and principles, which I feel may have gone astray a little in your case.

Enjoy your time in C class, make hay while the sun shines,and thank you for your appraisal of my shooting ability 

I knew some people wouldn't like it but i have done nothing wrong or against the rules! I do have genuine reasons for not entering registered shoots over the last two years. Being demorilised at the county Championships at Longridge 2 years ago when i shot a 50 and realising that i was out of my league and not ready for those type of targets. I also couldn't afford to shoot many registered shoots so thought it would be better to shoot cheaper club shoots more often and get better that way.

The CPSA shouldn't make registered shoots so damn expensive either as cost was and is always an issue too :)

I shoot two club shoots which are at the difficult end of club shoots and these are only £22 for a 100 but you cant win anything except for being top of the spreadsheets when they are emailed out. It's like birds only at registered shoots but that costs £32+. To me on a tight budget it's a no brainer!

Although we have not shot together Clynt we have met several times last year at SWSG friday shoots. I have also just had my gun completely refitted by John Jeffries who did Becky's gun, after is was incorrectly fitted by someone else. This has made a big difference after years of shooting guns that haven't fitted or suited me whatsoever. As you may remember i am not your average size so standard off the shelf doesn't fit my like it does other people.

The reason that i have just started shooting registered events again is because i have gone as far as i can at club level and i am being encourage by others to try to get to the next level, but to to this i need to shoot registered shoots. With the CPSA class system it is my understanding that it is changed after 31st May so that it isn't long.

You are a fantastic shot and where i aspire to get to but please don't judge me as my reason are genuine.
First very well done at Westfield, it was more than a tad blowy, on the above bit surprised you thought 50 was a poor score there's still a lot of us that breath a serious sigh of relief and big smile at that landmark.

Clynt you are spot on mate!! 93 high gun an 84 is way to high for a C class shooter, it's normally the top shots that can cope with the elements, and with the weather like it was you would expect the less experienced shots to shoot a little less than their averages!! Just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is who to say what scores should be shot ??

84 in 'C' class in those conditions was a bloody good score, the man has openly admitted that he walked away from competition shooting,practice and come back when he thought he was good enough to win, good luck to him.

The second and third in 'C' class was 73,74 verging on 'A'class scores are these to high as well? Obviously some people handled the conditions better than others.

Mike take no notice, i used to get the same sort of comments when i was in 'C' class and putting in decent scores.

Remember people you have to put good scores in now and again to get your "AVERAGE" up so you can move up a class.(maybe 2 classes if your good enough)

84 in 'C' class in those conditions was a bloody good score, the man has openly admitted that he walked away from competition shooting,practice and come back when he thought he was good enough to win, good luck to him.

The second and third in 'C' class was 73,74 verging on 'A'class scores are these to high as well? Obviously some people handled the conditions better than others.

Mike take no notice, i used to get the same sort of comments when i was in 'C' class and putting in decent scores.

Remember people you have to put good scores in now and again to get your "AVERAGE" up so you can move up a class.(maybe 2 classes if your good enough)
Thank you for your support. I always look at the scores in the majors and i regularly see 75+ win C class and sometimes 80+. I had a good day and am very pleased with my score and I will just have to see how the next few registered comps go but i am sure some people will criticize whatever happens!!

Thank you for your support. I always look at the scores in the majors and i regularly see 75+ win C class and sometimes 80+. I had a good day and am very pleased with my score and I will just have to see how the next few registered comps go but i am sure some people will criticize whatever happens!!
Well shot Mike, I could understand it if you (or anyone) was taking class wins all year with a huge margin but it doesn't happen. You've worked hard to be able to put in a good score at a good ground, soon enough you'll be in a class more deserving of your skills and then you'll just need to dig even deeper and improve, that's the name of the name. If the offendees care to bang in a high score every now and then they'll move up too.

Mike, I shot a 84 and won C in my first year clay shooting...right after a lesson, guess what, I got called a SANDBAGGER too!!! Funny thing is I didn't get called a SANDBAGGER after I shot a 63 the week before my lesson...

Some people are only happy when they are winning and you are losing! You don't hear them complaining then?

Sour grapes Mike. Ignore it! Classification is beyond your control if you shoot true to yourself, so keep it up! Well Shot by any standard!  :biggrin:

84 in 'C' class in those conditions was a bloody good score, the man has openly admitted that he walked away from competition shooting,practice and come back when he thought he was good enough to win, good luck to him.

. I didn't mention mike at all!! It was not against mike, more against the system!! In an earlier post I did in fact applaud Mike's score!!

The point made above was not directed at anyone in particular.

Just happened to be that it was Mike off of here that posted the score in question.

It just seems that some people on here can't accept that good scores on occassions are going to be put in,in C class. :no:

I think it may have been just before the last classification that there was a gun down this neck of the woods that was hammering C class week in week out,went straightfrom C to A class with a 79 AVERAGE, :eek:   but then again he was attached to,or had something to do with,or dad owned a local shooting school. :eek:   :eek:  .

You just have to look at the scores up and down the country there is always someone with good scores in C class.

Sorry folks just something we all have to live with. :console:

You just have to look at the scores up and down the country there is always someone with good scores in C/B/A/AA class.

Sorry folks just something we all have to live with. :console:
Welcome to my world since I joined the CPSA !  :twitch:

I have won precious little at registered shoots all the way from B upwards, it seemed there was always someone who'd shoot 88 to my 77, the initial reaction of course is to suspect sandbagging but when you sit down and look at things it was usually more a case of people who for various reasons were simply able to make more dramatic progress. 

If you think losing to a high score in B/C is tough try living with AA, here you have not only the absolute cream of the crop with talent, sponsorship and time on their hands but also living legends in almost every county in the land who will outshoot you whilst feeling poorly and it isn't at all uncommon to see a 10+ bird deficit in your scores, as I said welcome to my world.

I agree with the last 2 posts, but if you took all the C class scores at Westfield added together then divided by total in C class the average would be somewhere near 50/55 so an 84 is 30 above which is AA score!! Big difference, if it was golf he would of taken a 4 shot cut which puts him on the handicap he should be!! But hey roll on Sunday

Back