Velocity + 8's

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct, the only sensible thing to have done would have been a 24g version offered in 8's to make up for the lost pellet count and make sure it recoiled appreciably less by keeping the MV the same as the 28g version. The price differential should also be noticeable. It's bizarre how the mind of the cartridge manufacturers work at times ! 
Problem is they already have a good 24g 12 bore load in the Evo which is available in 8's and is low recoil, Im not sure how much cheaper they could be than the Evo and even then not take sales away from Evo.  Its a tricky position to be in for a cartridge manufacturer who have so many models.

To me it would be really sensible to have  cartridges suitable clay, game, vermin and non toxic, which are all the same (genuine) speed (say 1400 fps?) consistently, pattern well and don't recoil excessively, and have fibre or bio wads available in various shot sizes from 9 to 1.  Same colour cartridge cases, same brand just priced differently to allow for costs of components (allowing for 38g no1 costing more to make than 24g no 8), no need for sponsorship or marketing bullsh*t about being super fast or shooting pheasants ¾ mile away.. Simple?

I agree with you over the 24gm Evo. Nice smooth cartridge in plas and fibre. I've just bought a thousand for my good lady.

What irritates me is paying £208 a thou for them in fibre when I'm paying £181 for fibre Velocity's with 4gm's more shot in them!! 

The difference should be nowhere near that much.

PM.

The 26g HV definitely sound different. I'll revert back to the usual velocities and try the 8's when I've got through the 26g.

I bought a slab of 28g Evo's which are really hard to get hold if in my area and to be honest I couldn't see much that would make me move away from the velocity carts I've used for years.

Problem is they already have a good 24g 12 bore load in the Evo which is available in 8's and is low recoil, Im not sure how much cheaper they could be than the Evo and even then not take sales away from Evo.  Its a tricky position to be in for a cartridge manufacturer who have so many models.

To me it would be really sensible to have  cartridges suitable clay, game, vermin and non toxic, which are all the same (genuine) speed (say 1400 fps?) consistently, pattern well and don't recoil excessively, and have fibre or bio wads available in various shot sizes from 9 to 1.  Same colour cartridge cases, same brand just priced differently to allow for costs of components (allowing for 38g no1 costing more to make than 24g no 8), no need for sponsorship or marketing bullsh*t about being super fast or shooting pheasants ¾ mile away.. Simple?
Exactly, the trouble is the Velocity+ were introduced to cater for those not willing to pay £200+ (club as well as serious shooters) and stop them migrating away onto cheaper stuff, the Evo is indeed a very good shell but they know they'll be robbing sales away from themselves if they bring in a 24g version of the Velocity+ hence the silly 26g and talk of faster velocities !  :???:  If there was an award for the most pointless 2018 product out there..............

I agree with you over the 24gm Evo. Nice smooth cartridge in plas and fibre. I've just bought a thousand for my good lady.
And a glass of white wine or fruit based drink for the lady .... 😀

Agree completely though, 30 more for less lead is a bit rubbish..

The 26g HV definitely sound different. I'll revert back to the usual velocities and try the 8's when I've got through the 26g.

I bought a slab of 28g Evo's which are really hard to get hold if in my area and to be honest I couldn't see much that would make me move away from the velocity carts I've used for years.
I agree, 28s not anything special, 24g are brill, thanks to WillH for recommendation a fe[SIZE=11.884753227233887px]W years ago [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot 200 of the velocity 8s today and had my highest sporting and sportrap scores ever! Clearly a must have cartridge and an order of serveral thousand to be phoned in tomorrow until I cleaned the gun. The chokes and barrel were filthy more in line with the old velocity cartridges. Thinking twice now.

Have to say the breaks with half choke looked good on medium range targets.

Shot some of the velocity plus 8's this weekend and patterned one or two as well. Shot very well at the ground and couldn't fault the performance.

The grey speckles are the shot strikes on a greased 40 inch or 1m plate. Shot with invector ds 1/2 or mod at 30 yards. Produced a lovely even spread with very few gaps and around a 32" spread. Pretty much bang on the money for 1/2 choke at that range.

Very pleased with them so far.

20180325_150528.jpg

That's as good as you're going to get at any money. I'm now through about two slabs of the 8's which I initially didn't take to because they seemed to perform less well than the 7.5's on going away birds but readily admit it could all just be in my head, fact is either shot size pulverises a well placed clay at normal ranges and angles, yesterday I shot some going away orange clays at Horne and couldn't tell the difference between 1/2 or 3/4 the breaks were that good with 7.5's. 

As for being dirty, for me no different to Superbs in any shape or form, I'm lucky in that my barrels always seem to be mildly dirty as I rarely clean them and the chokes often reach the point of black soot all over before being cleaned. 

When I shoot them side by side with Superbs I DO notice the difference and realise why I liked the Eley's so much. 

I always find 7.5s seem to dust going aways better than 8s. They just pattern a bit tighter and you get a bit more lead into the clay I think. But on a full range of clays I think 8s are a better bet overall albeit maybe not as “crushing” on some kills.

I always find 7.5s seem to dust going aways better than 8s. They just pattern a bit tighter and you get a bit more lead into the clay I think. But on a full range of clays I think 8s are a better bet overall albeit maybe not as “crushing” on some kills.
No doubt there is something behind the assumption that bigger pellets pattern tighter but personally I don't think within the context of what we use, namely 7.5's and 8's it matters much. I mean even if they did throw say 5% tighter (on average) from brand to brand, the fact remains that you have 45-50 extra pellets in a load of 2.2mm 8's so logic says any variance in density would easily be negated by the greater pellet count. The way I look at it is that I personally wouldn't want to bet on spotting the difference between the breaks on all but the longest of clays where kinetic energy may just prove a decider.

No doubt there is something behind the assumption that bigger pellets pattern tighter but personally I don't think within the context of what we use, namely 7.5's and 8's it matters much. I mean even if they did throw say 5% tighter (on average) from brand to brand, the fact remains that you have 45-50 extra pellets in a load of 2.2mm 8's so logic says any variance in density would easily be negated by the greater pellet count. The way I look at it is that I personally wouldn't want to bet on spotting the difference between the breaks on all but the longest of clays where kinetic energy may just prove a decider.
That’s the thing.. fewer pellets hitting harder versus more pellets hitting a bit more lightly, but always hard enough on clays I’ve seen.

I have picked up some 6.5 sovereign parcours plas wad for some fitasc at Grimsthorpe and the Essex masters etc, that odd target a little out the ordinary.

Boy oh boy do they pattern tight. Where the velocity 8's were printing 30 to 32" at 30 yards, the 6.5 sovereign parcours printed 24" with the same choke at 30 yards, that worked out at between 6 and 8 inches tighter in diameter at 30 yards!

Shot these at AGL today. Very pleased with the modest recoil and great breaks. Haven’t had a chance to pattern them (but can’t believe they will do anything other than expected). Very likely my new cartridge of choice, as feel pretty much like an EVO for a lot less £.

Shot these at AGL today. Very pleased with the modest recoil and great breaks. Haven’t had a chance to pattern them (but can’t believe they will do anything other than expected). Very likely my new cartridge of choice, as feel pretty much like an EVO for a lot less £.
Was that the size 8s or the 26g loads Will?

OK geeks.. So I patterned a 28g plas 8 Velocity just now. It’s rather dense in the centre and a bit uneven on outer pattern, which is acceptable but slightly disappointing. Explains why I got some amazing kills when dead on yesterday. I’ll still use them. 

Photo shows comparison with EVO, showing that the extra £25/1000 affords slightly less recoil and a more even pattern. 

E4E59686-8BA9-4BAC-82E3-BF4AB19050FC.jpeg

I was at a ground on Saturday and was surprised to here they aren`t selling Evo`s so well. Shame as its my proffered cartridge and am very happy. 

Shot my PB last night night at my local (WMSG) 50 bird sporter, 40/50 and I dropped some silly ones but was pleased with the end result for second outing of 2018.

I was at a ground on Saturday and was surprised to here they aren`t selling Evo`s so well. Shame as its my proffered cartridge and am very happy. 

Shot my PB last night night at my local (WMSG) 50 bird sporter, 40/50 and I dropped some silly ones but was pleased with the end result for second outing of 2018.
Oh no. I hope they don’t stop Evo.. I can’t go through another cartridge finding mission...

Oh no. I hope they don’t stop Evo.. I can’t go through another cartridge finding mission...
Me too. having done a couple of shoots with the Velocity 8, I’m now convinced that the EVO is worth the extra money..

Latest posts

Back