value of guns SH ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyosk

How do you put a value a gun if you are thinking of selling it ? Is it a simple as following the trading sites to see what prices are being asked. There seems to be a clear idea of the value of guns from the forum members, is that long experience.

I was asking as I have a citori high rib trap gun bought about 5-6 years ago for about £700 i think and wondered what it would be worth now.

thanks

How do you put a value a gun if you are thinking of selling it ? Is it a simple as following the trading sites to see what prices are being asked. There seems to be a clear idea of the value of guns from the forum members, is that long experience.

I was asking as I have a citori high rib trap gun bought about 5-6 years ago for about £700 i think and wondered what it would be worth now.

thanks
Yep, just like cars. It really all depends on whether you really want to sell it, a fair bit also depends on your marketing nous, I could prolly make a decent living charging people £40 each to write up and photograph their guns for places like Guntrader. Your average advert might just as well have been written by a shop assistant with zero interest in the subject.

The first thing you need to do is a search to gauge where your guns value sits in retail and private sales terms. If you then price it keenly depending on condition of course, then you stand a high chance of an early sale. 

The trick with marketing is to not leave anything to the buyers imagination, imagine you're selling to a nerd. You must absolutely wax lyrical about every single factual specification of the gun and give helpful background where necessary; for example it's no good saying gun hasn't seen much use in the last couple of years because that could mean it had been used three times a week in a previous life before the current owner bought it. But if the gun is 2 years old and you know you can only possibly have shot 2k shots through it then it is entirely plausible to list it as near new mechanically.

I am currently looking for an under used 682E 32" multi and although the right gun is arguably worth £1800 in the right condition and age the only ones selling (as in gone when you call) are the £1200-£1400 quiders. Chap on Guntrader has one I fancy and will deal at £1250 but won't RFD and 12 hour return drive is out of the question for me, subtle clue there is that you must also be prepared to either meet half way or RFD.

It's also worth remembering that the prices being asked are not necessarily the prices that are being realised.

Have a scout around Holt's auction archives, there you'll doubtless find similar guns that have sold over the past few years:

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp/archivesearch.asp

The trouble with browsing Holt's is that you start looking at nice guns and then the day can disappear..

I think that 60-70% of the new price is a good place to start, but this obviously depends on age and condition.  If I was selling a new'ish firearm in mint condition, then I would start at 85-90%. That will give me a bit of room to dicker, but once I decide to sell something, I sell it and move on.

Having said that, I have 3 old Baikals that are probably only worth £50 each - on a good day - if I sold them, but they are far more useful to me than that, so they will be keepers.

if its a modern gun, first knock of the VAT so thats 20% gone, then look at trade price say another 20-25%  and thats still new cost to a dealer, they will want another 10-15% off so selling to the trade, less 50% of rrp unless it is a sought after, hard to find gun,   selling private  punt it at 70% of rrp,   as they say around here, "Ask a Town and take a Village"...

Thanks for all the advice, I Will do a bit of research and see what it's worth. Your right about advertising as many pictures as possible and give some colour whilst being honest about the condition.

Some interesting info here - I have a Blaser AT2 Supertrap that I'm going to put up for sale & was wondering where to pitch it

..............And it's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Latest posts

Back