Valley View - 11/09/2011

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Valley View is back – reopened under new management – so Tonky70 and myself decided we'd have a meetup there. His first time, and a return for me – so I was interested to see how things had changed.It was pretty blustery day yesterday, with the threat of rain – but luckily we stayed dry, if not a little buffetted by some of those high birds on the wind.Not much has changed on the surface at VV – they have a new website, but the site is much the same – great targets set up around a pretty big layout.  It wasn't over busy, so they set us off in a squad of two – using the 'odd numbers one way, even numbers another' system that they have there.Variety of targets was good – starting with a few high birds, through tree openings – then some interesting setups on the top field – a quick G/A, followed by a right to left incomer which dipped and floated on the breeze. There was a big crosser, followed by a looper which caught a few out.  There was a nice stand set in the trees at the back of the SG which consisted of a right to left crosser in a tree clearing that needed quick reactions and fast hands to get on.There were also a couple of stands set up with manual traps – one which was disappointing (two straight g/a birds – which were both loaded manually – so slow), and one which was great – a sim pair of crossers which damaged my scorecard, but made me think!There didn't seem to be high tower birds this time – but that maybe as they are moving stuff around on site. Lots of trees cut down to thin the wood out – I think they are doing a lot of work to improve.Scorewise – I hit a 67 (which is above average for me, so I was happy with that) – then back to the club house. They have a new 'very very free range' menu, with excellent sausages, bacon and burgers form a local farm – a little expensive (£3.50 for a sausage bap) but great quality and nicely cooked.Carpark is still the field at the front – quagmire after the rain the previous night – but easily accessible.All in all – I'll definitely be going back, I love this shoot – and fairly local for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so the forum has a record - Valley View dates till the end of the year:

• Sunday 25th September
  • Sunday 9th October
  • Sunday 23rd October
  • Sunday 6th November
  • Sunday 20th November
  • Sunday 4th December
  • Sunday 18th December
  • Sunday 1st January 2012 (ouchie - New Years Day sore heads cured by shotgun noises /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif)
Will also add to the ShootClay CalendarEntries are 10am till 1pm, refreshments available, cartridges available, 28g maximum, fibre or plastic, although fibre is encouraged...

Sounds good Matt have not been there for a long time now use to shoot there a lot when I was younger.I don't know if anybody answered my question from before but I heard a previous rumour it was Fibre Wad Only? Can you confirm? Thanks, Glen.

I did answer before - but I did get the following confirmation:

Hi MattWe are trying to promote the use of fibre wads over plastic however, it is notrestricted to only fibre wads. RegardsAdam

It is not - lovely shoot.If you wanted a similar registered, then Weston Wood is marvellous.

I am potentially going to shoot Hornet this weekend... unless other people want to go to Weston Wood... it'll be my first time.

Do both you can do Hornet first then got to weston they are only 20mins away from each other!!! Go On you know you want too!!

Yes I know I want to... but I'm off to the US for ten days on the Monday, so I *may* have to spend a little time with Mrs R.

Hi Gav,Weston is CPSA registered, but the rules have changed to allow non-cpsa to shoot all registered shoots. (Happened all the time anyway, but is now `legal`). Weston is like Valley View, but flatter plus a pond. You will likely hit 10 fewer clays at Weston though. Very good shoot. Cheers,CSC3(guest at the moment. Just registering..)

Thanks Will Glad your on board. Might try out Weston woood this weekend weather permitting. 10% fewer than I normally shoot at VV ...............oh dear! Well theres only one way to get better

Hi,I will be there as long as the rain holds off. I got wet enough at Hornet two weeks ago to last a lifetime. My feet turned orange with my shoe dye! I wouldnt have minded but there were three shoots to choose from that day and the other two turned out dry../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif Cheers,CSC3

I did Valley View yesterday. My first visit there since the new ownership. The portacabin has had a major facelift; which is better. Didnt check out the loos; which used to be a scary legend! I assume they must be better../wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif I thought the shoot was tougher than it used to be. Not tougher on the toughest stands; but some of the very easy stuff has gone. Suits many, but might make it a bit tough for the real newbies. I certainly hit fewer than I usually do up there, but it was a bit windy. Still a good shoot. They just need to keep that new website serviced, as it is just a dissapointment at the moment.. CSC3

was going to give it a trybut went to the prestwood/wycombe shoot for a bit of morale boost instead. Came away with a 76 which is good for me/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif when is vv on again? 

Gav, have you been to Paul Curlings other shoot just west of Aylesbury, not even sure if its still on or not. Now that can be a tough little 100 birder/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif Its called Fleet Farm on the Oxford/Bicester road just before Waddesdon.

All this talk of shooting is making me pine for home... Scores at VV Clever?

Outlaw said:

Gav, have you been to Paul Curlings other shoot just west of Aylesbury, not even sure if its still on or not. Now that can be a tough little 100 birder/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif Its called Fleet Farm on the Oxford/Bicester road just before Waddesdon.
 yes, went once a long time ago and it was tough, a bit too far for me though on a regular basis. with the winter coming im trying to spend more time with the dog, but at the last minute i change my mind and think oh what the hell one last shoot before a long rest/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-yell.gif

Latest posts

Back