Urchfont - 23/09

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExSCA

ShootClay Admin
Another great ground in Wiltshire - and despite fairly steady rain, another great day on the clays with a crowd from ShootClay. Met just past 10 with Jem, Ian & Mrs Maney, Robo and Ken for a run round ten stands of ten in the woods at Urchfont.

Also saw Radrac, Tiptop and Sleepy Hollow on the way round.

First time at Urchfont for me - ground is up a single track road on the side of a hill, covered in woods but the stands well appointed and picked out in amongst the trees. Clubhouse is a low ceilinged hut with a long table running most of the length, decent wood burner and a short queue to book on. You need to be sharpish here, they close up fairly early - but I got booked on quickly and we started on Stand 3.

First up was a straight away teal with a high left to right looper, then we did stands 4 and 5, a platform with an overhead followed by an edge on r-l crosser, then an OR driven pair off the tower. We had a fairly lengthy breakdown here - rain getting into remotes - but efficiently sorted by one of the very good refs. Stand 6 was a lovely right/left crosser curling on the breeze with a slightly angled teal. Stand 7 was a quick flat overhead followed by a floppy left/right crosser.

Stand 8 was another from a platform a rabbit below your feet and another floaty left/right crosser. Stand 9 was a high right/left looper followed by an overhead g/a from a tower (manual trap). Then we headed up the hill, over the road, and through a barbed wire fence (yes, really) for a pair of high, long crossers from the left which needed a bunch of leeed to catch.

We headed back into the ground for the final two stands, behind the club house. Stand 1 was a high left/right crosser o/r with an incoming crow which was very random, sometimes appearing over the left side of the clearing, sometimes over the right - which made for some snap shooting. The final stand for us was a sim pair of teal thrown from a manual trap, one a midi, one a standard which needed shooting very quickly.

All-in-all a fun shoot, good targets and much fun with the ShootClay crowd despite getting dripped on all the way round. I continued my recent form with my third card of 66ex100 in a row. 70 odd won c-class, but I was about 4th or 5th down, so not unhappy.

Definitely a ground I'll go back to - would be marvellous without the rain!

Great shooting with you all today, met Robo & Ken, great laff to shoot with, shame about the rain but hey it only hits the skin and runs off!

Nice ground and we'll def be going back even if it is 2 hrs drive for us, food and tea is ace and a great friendly bunch to boot.

The tracks are a bit up and down but it keeps you fit.

I finished on 61/100 so I'm happy, if however I'd have shot less, I'd have had to come up with an excuse real quick, the rain put me off, the drive down there left me exhausted, the food upset my stomach, the traps were badly laid out, far too long to wait on each stand, the refs were useless, my gun was playing up, I was in the wrong squad, the traps kept breaking down.................. Blah blah blah, have I missed any?

In actual fact, I couldn't have had a better day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another great ground in Wiltshire - and despite fairly steady rain, another great day on the clays with a crowd from ShootClay. Met just past 10 with Jem, Ian & Mrs Maney, Robo and Ken for a run round ten stands of ten in the woods at Urchfont.

First time at Urchfont for me - ground is up a single track road on the side of a hill, covered in woods but the stands well appointed and picked out in amongst the trees. Clubhouse is a low ceilinged hut with a long table running most of the length, decent wood burner and a short queue to book on. You need to be sharpish here, they close up fairly early - but I got booked on quickly and we started on Stand 3.

First up was a straight away teal with a high left to right looper, then we did stands 4 and 5, a platform with an overhead followed by an edge on r-l crosser, then an OR driven pair off the tower. We had a fairly lengthy breakdown here - rain getting into remotes - but efficiently sorted by one of the very good refs. Stand 6 was a lovely right/left crosser curling on the breeze with a slightly angled teal. Stand 7 was a quick flat overhead followed by a floppy left/right crosser.

Stand 8 was another from a platform a rabbit below your feet and another floaty left/right crosser. Stand 9 was a high right/left looper followed by an overhead g/a from a tower (manual trap). Then we headed up the hill, over the road, and through a barbed wire fence (yes, really) for a pair of high, long crossers from the left which needed a bunch of leeed to catch.

We headed back into the ground for the final two stands, behind the club house. Stand 1 was a high left/right crosser o/r with an incoming crow which was very random, sometimes appearing over the left side of the clearing, sometimes over the right - which made for some snap shooting. The final stand for us was a sim pair of teal thrown from a manual trap, one a midi, one a standard which needed shooting very quickly.

All-in-all a fun shoot, good targets and much fun with the ShootClay crowd despite getting dripped on all the way round. I continued my recent form with my third card of 66ex100 in a row. 70 odd won c-class, but I was about 4th or 5th down, so not unhappy.

glad you enjoyed it ....would have gone only had county sporting team duties at Doveridge :( was it busy ? and how did the other shootclay guys get on ? normally good tough ground with realistic targets and Chas is a top bloke. any winnings there safe for keeps, personally have received prize money a year after winning it :)

Clynt, I thought I heard someone say 95 entries, although I may be wrong. Weather wasn't great - bit bleak on the platform stands and the exposed stands - so I guess that may have kept people away a bit. Not the hardy ShootClay crew who went round with a smile on their face.

As for the squad - 66 for me, 61 for Ian, 63 for Robo, 53 for Claire - not sure what Ken finished on. Also saw Chris Childerhouse there, but didn't see his score up at the end. Radrac was around 60 I thought - although he was suffering from a cold (not made any better by that weather).

Definitely a ground I'll be back to, as you say - realistic targets, nice setting and the team there were great. I said hello to Chas and he openly thanked the squad for coming along - new faces I think!

good too hear chas put on his normal proper sporting targets and that you all had fun in the rain at urchfont...well done to you all as urchfont tough in the sunshine..

normally a good paying ground, at the last one i went to the payout back to classes was £13 per entry!

How long does it take you to get there Jem? I won't go this year but if it's half sensible I could pull it in with another shoot next year.

Bloody Hell, a better write up than Judith Charmers on an 80's holiday resort. Spot on and great to finally meet you. Although rather wet!SleepyH

Latest posts

Back