Trying too hard?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zea

Hi all,

I'm having some real problems with my consistency in competitions (sporting) and hoping someone may have experienced the same who can help...

I started shooting registered competitions exactly a year ago (before this I learnt the basics for about 18 months) and as a complete novice was pretty pleased at scoring around the 50% mark on my first few comps. I was managing to hit the softer targets; not worrying too much about longer range birds, but able to hit the odd one or two. The important thing was I could 'bank' the easier targets for my ability. I was shooting a Berretta 686 Essential but had some recoil issues as it was very light so bought a 682L which is a lot heavier but has helped with recoil and provided a smoother swing. I steadily increased to around the 60% mark and was really pleased.

However, the last 5 competitions I seem to have taken a big step backwards. I can't seem to hit any of the soft/close targets, yet the long distance or fast targets I can hit fairly consistently. I am only using 21g Hull CompX cartridges and my chokes are cylinder and skeet. So I have no idea what is happening. For instance, at Weston Wood on Sunday I fell apart on the first three stands we shot (which were stands 9, 11 and 12) which I didn't consider to be too testing yet dropped a total of 17 clays! shocking! Yet on the harder stands (simo driven midi & std, and Battue & r-l crosser) I only dropped 2 on each. 

The last few times I have ended up bottom of the competition because now I can't seem to bank those softer targets and it is knocking my confidence a little.

I think perhaps I am not focusing enough on targets that used to demand my full attention, or maybe just trying too hard, but if anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful for your input.

Many thanks

Zea

Zea, be careful that you are simply not moving the gun at the same speed on slow targets as you are of faster targets. It's something I have to be careful not to do!!! The only way to diagnose what's going wrong is to get a good coach to watch you shoot...it could be hold points, it could be swing speed or as you've said, it could just be you not focusing hard enough on shooting clays you know you can 'bank'...

I went through exactly the same issues, 'easy' targets became bogey birds. Shooting partners genuinely thought I was doing it as some kind of wind up. All I did was to keep shooting, you go through peaks and troughs, all part of the learning curve. I did get my gun fitted properly around this time and also got my eyes tested as I was looking everywhere for answers.

I think perhaps I am not focusing enough on targets that used to demand my full attention, or maybe just trying too hard, but if anyone has any other ideas I would be grateful for your input.
Zea every target demands your full attention.

(I am guessing now) - you did it in beginning while you were hitting them "soft" ones, but once you considered them soft you began to drop them. Once you began to drop them you over reacted and began trying too hard. There are no "soft/easy" targets in my book - they are hard and harder and deserve full attention every time - one by one by one.

While I wouldn't dare to go any further with any advice - a good coach is the only way to go at the end - but no harm done while looking for one, you can read some theory here:

http://www.icsi.org.uk/shooting-advice/

Impossible to tell without watching you shoot but it's probably something fairly easy to sort out. The best thing to do is book a lesson with a good quality coach/instructor. 

I had the same issue sort of. 

I couldnt hit the long stuff for toffee but made the mistake of only practice distance stuff for a while and concentrating on that. Which affected my close game.

Now i make sure i practice close stuff. I have also gone back to practising skeet too.Which has helped no end with my sporting.

Totally agree attention is and concentration is needed on all targets regardless how easy you feel they might be. As i found out on the English open haha

When you practice just make sure you have a good variety of birds. 

10 mins with ed worked out what i was doing wrong with stalling close stuff,get someone who knows what they are doing to have a look at you or you will be getting more and more frustrated. 

Some good wisdom here - one thing I did was stop thinking about anything as easy or hard... targets are either 'close or far and then slow or fast'... every single one demands the same respect and concentration from the shooter. I'll bet every shooter has missed a giant hanging crow due to thinking 'this one is a piece of cake'.

I'd definitely support the idea of getting a reputable coach to give you the once over, and seeing if anything major has changed in your technique. 

Finally - relax. It'll come. 

Thanks all for the sound advice; really appreciate it.

Definitely given me a few things to think about. But also great to hear others have been there too! ☺

Latest posts

Back