trigger freeze?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two months later and the method I use is still working for me, it probably won't work for everyone but it's quick and easy and worth a try

In this week's Shooting UK newsletter there is an article about 'Trigger Flinch / Freeze ' attributed to Phil Coley which I wrote about five years ago .

I cover most symptoms and come up with a number of solutions to the various ailments and their cause.

In this week's Shooting UK newsletter there is an article about 'Trigger Flinch / Freeze ' attributed to Phil Coley which I wrote about five years ago .

I cover most symptoms and come up with a number of solutions to the various ailments and their cause.
How come it's attributed to Mr coley ??

Hmm, probably not a name you want to mention too often in shooting circles.

Had to look this up, if he's not held in very high regard within the shooting fraternity, how come everything is linked to shooting when you do a google search for him 🤔

Had to look this up, if he's not held in very high regard within the shooting fraternity, how come everything is linked to shooting when you do a google search for him 🤔
I doubt you’ll find anything recent. As far as I know, he hasn’t been seen anywhere near the sport for years. Not surprising really as he left quite a trail behind him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes he owes me big time , wrote to IPC media asking for credit where it is due or payment for the article , so far they haven't had the courtesy to reply or query my allegations.

It is so very sad that he tarnishes his father's name. Ian Coley in my opinion is a super bloke.

Yes he owes me big time , wrote to IPC media asking for credit where it is due or payment for the article , so far they haven't had the courtesy to reply or query my allegations.

It is so very sad that he tarnishes his father's name. Ian Coley in my opinion is a super bloke.
Any chance of a link to the article please?

Are we talking "trigger freeze" like "I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger at the right time" a/k/a "the yips" or are we talking about "trapping the trigger" as in "I pulled it on the first target, but didn't let the damn thing go to break the second one."  I have never done the former, but have had occasions of the latter, which was a little bit frightening.  

Are we talking "trigger freeze" like "I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger at the right time" a/k/a "the yips" or are we talking about "trapping the trigger" as in "I pulled it on the first target, but didn't let the damn thing go to break the second one."  I have never done the former, but have had occasions of the latter, which was a little bit frightening.  
Can be first or second barrel for me so the former

It can be either. Flinch or freeze at any point. It's as though your brain runs a program and you are not in control. It is entirely personal as to exactly what it is or how it comes about. You can avoid setting the program off by changing things, new gun, different routine, release trigger, or you can address the issues with some kind of talking therapy. The trouble with that is that whilst my discipline (Traumatic Incident Reduction) is structured in getting you to the root of the problem, standard counselling is essentially waiting for you to realise the cause of the problem and doesn't have the tools to get you there.

Also most shooters would rather spend £5k on a new gun and moan a lot than actually be introspective 🙂 

Reactions: ips
It can be either. Flinch or freeze at any point. It's as though your brain runs a program and you are not in control. It is entirely personal as to exactly what it is or how it comes about. You can avoid setting the program off by changing things, new gun, different routine, release trigger, or you can address the issues with some kind of talking therapy. The trouble with that is that whilst my discipline (Traumatic Incident Reduction) is structured in getting you to the root of the problem, standard counselling is essentially waiting for you to realise the cause of the problem and doesn't have the tools to get you there.

Also most shooters would rather spend £5k on a new gun and moan a lot than actually be introspective 🙂 
It's a good excuse for a new gun though if permission is needed, aka the wife 😉😄

some interesting drift there hahaha

on the flinch thing - - two things work for me.  First be ready for the target when I call for it.  Not maybe ready or almost ready or "time" to call for the target but really ready.  And then just shoot the target without this or that or some other sh*te in the action.  All I have to do to insure a miss is not have the ready light on      and/or       try to figure out some way to catch it then.

So for me it's simple - - - sano pre-shot routine and shoot the target.  TabA/SlotB

HOORAY!  I have been elevated to apprentice after only 3746 posts.  Am I chuffed or WHAT?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back