Trap or monte carlo

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Hopkins

After a trip to the Chopsaw for my mk38 she seems to have got the right hump resulting in a major sulk :fie:   What I really mean is I am having big problems with gun fit  mainly lifting my head because the stock is to low,

So whats the difference between a trap stock and a monte carlo stock or even an adjustable comb raiser fitted to my sporting stock

after talking with hamster and hotshot today they feel a trap stock is the best option! any thoughts peeps...

With respect, all you'll get is the personal preferences of others. Gunfit is so critical you'd probably benefit from a coach giving you advice before you invest.

I am only a newbie but find my trap Monte Carlo stocked 682 easier to shoot sporting targets than my adjustable combed 686 evo apart from high driven birds which seem to be more difficult with the MC stock than the adjustable sporter stock.

After a trip to the Chopsaw for my mk38 she seems to have got the right hump resulting in a major sulk :fie:   What I really mean is I am having big problems with gun fit  mainly lifting my head because the stock is to low,

So whats the difference between a trap stock and a monte carlo stock or even an adjustable comb raiser fitted to my sporting stock

after talking with hamster and hotshot today they feel a trap stock is the best option! any thoughts peeps...
If you place an identical fit, meaning comb height, grip, pitch etc, Monte Carlo and a Trap stock alongside one another the only difference between them would be that the MC pad would sit lower in your shoulder. This may or may not be the ideal feel for you individually but will obviously vary from person to person.

As Hamster points out the only difference between the two stock styles is the drop at heel (assuming the same face measurement).

Why not try building up the comb (at face) of your current stock with cardboard and see if that solves the problem. That way you simulate a monte carlo stock.

If that doesn't solve the issue; and  the drop at heel is still part of the problem then you probably need to go to a trap stock with less drop at heel.

Ideally you need to actually shoot the gun in front of an instructor who knows what they are talking about...... 

But what hasn't been mentioned is that Shaun shot better with my trap gun when he borrowed it and this was the reason that I lent it to him as I felt that his current gun is too low in the comb.

It is mainly certain types of targets that he is struggling on, perhaps the answer is to try my trap gun again but with the rear of the comb ramped up a bit more than the front giving a more parallel set up.

That will give the opportunity to try a straight comb or a slight Monte Carlo type set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have  been having the same problem as Shaun for years and only just worked it out for myself. i have an adjustable sporter stock on my beretta and even at its full height still head lifted, tried many trap guns in shops and still found i could not get a sight picture i was happy with. i recently fitted a replacement Graco adjuster with more lift and fashioned a shim that fits under the comb to make it more parallel and will be trying it out at Fareham on sunday, if this does the trick then i will have to bite the bullett and buy an adjustable monte carlo stock... :rabbi:   

Shaun,

I recommend you make an appointment with Malcolm Jenkins he'll fit your stock and he's a very good Trap shot too so probably understands the needs of a Trap shooter a bit more than most. 

"Mmmm! Sensai, ShaunMK38, is he not the one who changed his Trap stock for a Sporter when he first bought the Miroku after getting rid of horrible spaghetti gun? "

" Surely Grasshopper we can teach but they do not learn. Why they no risten?"

"Mmmm! Sensai, ShaunMK38, is he not the one who changed his Trap stock for a Sporter when he first bought the Miroku after getting rid of horrible spaghetti gun? "

You have very good memory O Master.

Not wishing to sound derogatory or superior, but isn't it amazing how as soon as we go through a bad patch we blame or 'out' the gun? It certainly seems as though it is human nature not to correctly identify the real cause.

I have a friend who has a Miroku in his cabinet that served him very well and it was used to make him an AAA class shot.

Subsequently he progressed? to Perazzi, Kreighoff, and now Blaser, but his shooting continues to deteriorate.

A few have suggested that he gives the Miroku an airing, but he refuses.

I asked him why not ? The answer was " Because I can afford better."

Now let us clarify something, I love Miroku, but own many other makes.

Recently I decided to treat myself so I bought a new Perazzi and then I bought another Kreighoff. 

The Kreighoff I shot it and shot it and shot it. Despite tinkering and messing about with it I cannot for the life of me shoot it, despite help and advice from some very wonderful people I have to accept that maybe Kreighoff is not for me.

I know many people who cannot adapt very well to Browning's after learning to shoot with Beretta's or shallow action Italian guns or vice versa.

Shaun commented in another post that he feels he is missing a lot of clays over the top, I doubt that a higher comb will assist that malady unless of course his issue has nothing to do with site picture and has more to do with style and method.

One thing is for sure we will not cure it via the internet.

If something breaks or is broken go back to basics, retrace your steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wishing to sound derogatory or superior, but isn't it amazing how as soon as we go through a bad patch we blame or 'out' the gun? It certainly seems as though it is human nature not to correctly identify the real cause.
I have a friend who has a Miroku in his cabinet that served him very well and it was used to make him an AAA class shot.
Subsequently he progressed? to Perazzi, Kreighoff, and now Blaser, but his shooting continues to deteriorate.
A few have suggested that he gives the Miroku an airing, but he refuses.
I asked him why not ? The answer was " Because I can afford better."

Now let us clarify something, I love Miroku, but own many other makes.
Recently I decided to treat myself so I bought a new Perazzi and then I bought another Kreighoff.
The Kreighoff I shot it and shot it and shot it. Despite tinkering and messing about with it I cannot for the life of me shoot it, despite help and advice from some very wonderful people I have to accept that maybe Kreighoff is not for me.
I know many people who cannot adapt very well to Browning's after learning to shoot with Beretta's or shallow action Italian guns or vice versa.
Shaun commented in another post that he feels he is missing a lot of clays over the top, I doubt that a higher comb will assist that malady unless of course his issue has nothing to do with site picture and has more to do with style and method.
One thing is for sure we will not cure it via the internet.
If something breaks or is broken go back to basics, retrace your steps.
Enjoyed that post.
Thank you it's very true.
My scores are a bit up and down at the moment but I know there's great scores in the CG for me so am going back to basics with Ed through Feb and March.

:fie:  I always believed that the differce between a trap stock and a monte carlo stock was that the monte carlo had a parellel comb, but then what would I know? :crazy:  

Mmmmmm NO is the answer to that! bought mk38 as a sporter but changed the forend for a trap version and the spaghetti gun  you mention was surely the marmite gun :fie:  Dt10  sorry to pee on your parade salopian :spiteful:

:fie:  I always believed that the differce between a trap stock and a monte carlo stock was that the monte carlo had a parellel comb, but then what would I know? :crazy:  
If it makes you feel any better so did I.

Latest posts

Back