Trap day

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DT I think he was so shocked that I managed to get them at all he couldn't help himself.

For people new to dtl, Sian & AW13, I would say (imo) practice until you can hit approx 20 every round (so you score 75-85/100), then enter competitions. If you start shooting comps when you are at this level, you will be shooting decent scores and still be put into C class, which is where you want to be starting out. And depending on how shooting/coaching you get etc, you could be challenging for class wins within 4-6 months.

If you are comfortable shooting in a squad in practice, a comp is no different really. There is an etiquette as you say, follow that and no one will complain (Just dont start off peg 1 for first time out, you will have enough to think about, without thinking about the card too). Maybe shoot your first comp with people you know if it bothers you, but after that just shoot with whoever, as you need to just adapt to different squads, speeds etc. If you can watch a couple of rounds beforehand, so you get used to how a round starts, referee calls etc, that will help too.

But the first comp is the hardest for nerves. Once that is done, you will get more & more relaxed. Comps are where the real fun & satisfaction (and a fair amount of frustration too) is.

Maybe one day I will enter a comp but at the mo it's purely about having fun on my own terms and at my own pace and I don't do it enough to get seriously good.

SIan if your coming to south wales, there is fanatstic little DTL/ABT ground open wednesday and sunday they shoot practise like a comp (ref and all for £6 a round for visitors from shooting there to reg comp the difference is £1... Awesome practise venue.

Nelson clay shooting club.

I know it, my husband used to go there often for a good few years when we are down in Wales but not recently as he has concentrated on Amber and my shooting. Also he used to go up to the little club at Cwmbran with the old guys on top of the mountain shooting amongst the sheep!

Also he used to go up to the little club at Cwmbran with the old guys on top of the mountain shooting amongst the sheep!
NOt been to that one but think its still running, Shame nelson don't do reg shoots anymore, (SW200 don't seem to put a lot on)

Latest posts

Back