Top 3 Dos and Don'ts for beginners

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Gaz

Hi Everyone,

As a completely new shooter, what are your top 3 dos or don'ts when starting out...

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Garry

Do:

Have fun

Get a bit of coaching

Be safe

Dont:

Worry about cartridges, super duper glasses or other fancy kit just yet, don't let your head get in the way!

Expect miracles, very few people are complete naturals.

Don't blow £10k on a gun tomorrow. ( Unless you really, really, really want it ! :)  )

1) Do not walk around with a closed gun. 2) Do not turn around in a stand/cage with a closed gun. 3) Do not put your finger on the trigger when closing a loaded gun.

1) Do watch the good shots not, the bad ones. 2) Do always check the gun is unloaded before putting it back into the gun slip. 3) Do think safety first and enjoy yourself

Get a lesson booked with a good Instructor and ask him/her a list of questions that you will have already written out, including advice on a first gun that would be suitable for your use and within your budget. If you ask on here for an Instructor in your area, I feel sure that it would be answered. 

Do:

enjoy shooting even if you miss most of them.

ensure your gun is safe before and after handling.

get some lessons.

Don't:

Worry about chokes. (chuck in 1/2 and 1/4 if your doing english sporting and forget about them)

chop and change cartridges. (pick one that suits your budget and stick with them,  No one is a better shooter than any cartridge on the market)

Store your guns barrel up

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for taking part, some great suggestions...

Keep safe, enjoy myself and don't get tempted to empty the piggy bank too early.

Do:

• Try the different disciplines (Sporting/Skeet/Trap) 
  • Get some decent coaching before you start learning bad habits
  • Keep it simple - concentrate on getting the basics right first
Don't:

• Buy a gun until your sure which discipline you like best
  • Bother too much about your scores to start with (Basics first)
  • Waste your money on expensive cartridges - they won't help as much as the money saved will if spent on lessons. 
Good luck! 

Do always know before you lift your gun what are you trying to achieve with that shot.

Don't fortget to have fun - once you are not enjoying it you are doing something wrong.

Just heard ANOTHER disturbing story regarding an 'exploding' snap cap at a shooting ground !

DON'T 

Bother buying snap caps, BUT if you must, then,

DO

LEAVE THEM AT HOME !

Just don't.  Don't do this.  Shooting will provide you with nothing but expense and frustration.  Deny yourself that.  Find an activity that is satisfying, socially acceptable, and perhaps even financially rewarding.  I recommend music.

electric guitars - incredibly therapeutic at high volume levels

I used to suffer alone, in silence

Now thru my music, many others can suffer as well 

Just don't.  Don't do this.  Shooting will provide you with nothing but expense and frustration.  Deny yourself that.  Find an activity that is satisfying, socially acceptable, and perhaps even financially rewarding.  I recommend music.

electric guitars - incredibly therapeutic at high volume levels

I used to suffer alone, in silence

Now thru my music, many others can suffer as well 
no good to me I'm afraid, completely no rhythm and tone deaf :smile:

Being fairly new I was interested in Xaphan's comment re storing the gun 'barrel up'. I was told to store barrel down so as to prevent any oil in the action seeping down into the stock. I would be interested in your views. Thanks

Being fairly new I was interested in Xaphan's comment re storing the gun 'barrel up'. I was told to store barrel down so as to prevent any oil in the action seeping down into the stock. I would be interested in your views. Thanks
you were told right (barrels down)........  if you notice I did put it in the don't section I.E. don't store guns barrel up

To be fair, I store my guns top to tail, one barrels up and next barrels down, this enables me to get them all in the cabinet with room to spare. Having said that, I do not over oil the barrels and I store each gun in one of those silicone sock thingy's, which also helps prevent cabinet 'knocks'. I have never had any rust problems or oil soaking into wood in over 50 years of gun storage. I do use a heavy oil on the barrels which has less of a 'runny' tendency, but only on the lesser used guns, the more frequently used guns get no internal barrel oil at all.

Now I feel stupid, I was always told at school 'read the question'. But thanks anyway for the explanation.

Latest posts

Back