Tips to figure out why you cant hit a certain target!!??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmybh

Can anyone help give me some tips on how to self analyse why I miss a certain target....I go to more practice grounds than actual Sunday style shoots and of late am having a bit of a frustrating time...I either have a great stand and smoke the lot or get to a stand and just cant find the target.....

I get wound up and end up shooting over and over and over again at the bogey target with little success.....how should I go about trying to figure out why I am missing?

Cheers, James

I'm going to be at Purbeck this Friday for a practice round, happy to offer my two penneth if you're about.

P.S I'm not an instructor though...

cheers

Darren

Watch how the good shots shoot the ones you miss. Then adapt what they do, to how you shoot. 

Watch how the good shots shoot the ones you miss. Then adapt what they do, to how you shoot.
​There you go then. Buy a Perazzi, (get shut of the Beretta),  buy some Pilla specs, change to White Gold and you have cracked it. It may prove cheaper to have a lesson though !      :wink:

Can anyone help give me some tips on how to self analyse why I miss a certain target....I go to more practice grounds than actual Sunday style shoots and of late am having a bit of a frustrating time...I either have a great stand and smoke the lot or get to a stand and just cant find the target.....

I get wound up and end up shooting over and over and over again at the bogey target with little success.....how should I go about trying to figure out why I am missing?

Cheers, James
​Remember that doing the same thing over and over whilst expecting different results is the definition of madness. Think about it more. Write a check list on the basics.

Have you set up the shot properly? Where is the clay largest? Where do you first see it? Where will you set your hold point?

Have you set your feet properly? If you haven't you'll run out of swing.

Are you holding your gun properly and swivelling like a tank turret and swinging through? You can lose birds if you go off line by dropping a shoulder from bad balance for example.

Did you put the right amount of lead on the bird? 

Did your gun wander off line? 

I've had all these things pointed out to me at lessons. Usually I wait until I'm boiling with frustration and then book a (remedial) lesson. I've had remedial lessons on everything from teals (timing issue) to long distance birds (length of lead, going off line as well as basic technique) to shooting down from banks (nothing wrong with that, wasn't setting up the shot properly).

"I get wound up and end up shooting over and over and over again at the bogey target with little success."

Because you are practicing how to do it incorrectly.

As ehb said , stop, think, get your head sorted out and apply a method .

An old old saying is if you are missing , double your lead , if you still miss , shoot at it. It works sometimes but is not to be relied on.

Find a ground that will let you shoot from any position (not easy to find) then shoot the bogey target at a very close range then when you are hitting them easily walk back 10 yards and try again. And then another 10 yards.

Find a ground that will let you shoot from any position (not easy to find) then shoot the bogey target at a very close range then when you are hitting them easily walk back 10 yards and try again. And then another 10 yards.
The poor fella will end up out on the road after a few shots?

you can throw money at it till you hit it, then you probably wont know how to repeat it and learnt very little from the process to take to other targets.Or you can strategically invest some money in a lesson and learn to solve the problem and gain something to carry forward to all targets.

you can throw money at it till you hit it, then you probably wont know how to repeat it and learnt very little from the process to take to other targets.Or you can strategically invest some money in a lesson and learn to solve the problem and gain something to carry forward to all targets.
There's your problem mate........ use the gun in future ??

Cheers for all the replies and advice!

Purbeck is my local and have had some time with Graham Brown (albeit back in Feb).  I do quite well at Purbeck, but yesterday we tried The Spitfire Shoot, and yes I have been through a lot of change since Feb with my shooting and am having a course of lessons at the moment...so I guess patience and more practice is needed, and must keep the mind-set positive.

i am feeling in a cheeky mood so here goes cos I don't care.

expensive coaches Imo are over rated. There is no substitute for experience even if experience has not brought cabinets full of trophies. Befriend an experienced shooter there are many of them buy them a brew and ask them to watch you they will be only to pleased to pass on there knowledge. If there over fifty you will acquire heaps of knowledge at no cost. And prob make a friend for life.

JOB DONE

i am feeling in a cheeky mood so here goes cos I don't care.

expensive coaches Imo are over rated. There is no substitute for experience even if experience has not brought cabinets full of trophies. Befriend an experienced shooter there are many of them buy them a brew and ask them to watch you they will be only to pleased to pass on there knowledge. If there over fifty you will acquire heaps of knowledge at no cost. And prob make a friend for life.

JOB DONE

I wouldn't say the right expensive coach can ever be over rated but there is truth in what you say. The stock answer to these queries seems to be to hurry up and see a coach but I think there is a right and not so right time to seek expert advice. 

In the old days people learned by watching and asking the better shooters on the field, can't say there is any harm in that even today. In my experience those who do befriend and accompany shooters better than themselves always improve, those who accompany their own level of shooters never seem to make that noticeable break away.

ps. BUT you have to be prepared to break odd habits and listen, no good if you only watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back