Think your Sunday is going badly? Look at my barrel..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would ask Teague to cut the old barrels down and multi choke for the remaining chokes you have.

Just remember the barrel length does nothing for accuracy - its just balance. 
The main or only reason for longer barrels is the different sight picture they offer, particularly on crossers. I actually prefer how a 30” barrel feels on most guns, but like the more detailed pointing that a 32” affords. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ever have the opportunity, shoot a MK38 trap gun back to back with a MK38 multichoke sporter ....  not all 38s are created equal ! 
Agree I’ve done exactly that - completely different feel and handling. 

I would ask Teague to cut the old barrels down and multi choke for the remaining chokes you have.

Just remember the barrel length does nothing for accuracy - its just balance. Getting a set of 1 inch chokes and taking 50g of wood out of the stock may get you very close to the original gun's balance. There is no harm in doing this before spending any money on anything. It always good to get your 'spare' gun right.

If that doesn't work for you I would get an MK38 with factory fit chokes - that will be cheaper. Swap your wood around etc.

You may find you don't want to remove any wood and if you do you can easily replace the weight with taped up cut off cartridges wedged in the stock bolt hole with a bit of old sock - I mean a bit of old clean sock !!!
I wish to stay at 32” - comfort (balance) and pictures for me 🙂

Or just get a 32 Ultra XS Pro, you know you want to 😄
Shot one at Oxford bud, have to say didn’t think too much of it (relative to my MK38 that is). Almost felt toy like if that makes sense. Guess I prefer the industrial feel. 

Hello all!

Further update - I'll keep this going until conclusion. Maybe celebrate with a video of me shooting it! 😄

Cost back from Browning for a set of barrels was £2200 - clearly not a financially viable route. It also had to be shipped to Belgium!

Teague have advised that the barrel could be cut and maintained at 29" - obviously I want a 32" so I'm definitely now in the market for a second hand MK38 in 32" to harvest from.

I have provided my ideal scenario to Teague, and just waiting to find out the costs. 

My ask:

• I will supply to Teague a used MK38, from which we harvest the 32” barrels (and action, if required)
  • Teague to fit new barrels to my damaged MK38 and multi-choke to accept my original chokes
  • Meanwhile, the original barrels are cut down to 29” and re-proofed (here I am assuming multi-choking these is asking for too much)
  • Any leftover components (e.g. wood, original barrels and action) to be returned to me
well, on reflection, agreeing with Feddypip

I think I would go with the original offer from Teaque to cut down and choke the barrels, then make no further decision until I had persevered and put a couple of thousand through it,

I think there is a chance that you will never be happy with this gun now, so instead of throwing money at it, wait see how you get on then you could investigate your options, fixed choke being the main one,  3/8 and 3/8 ????????????

OK so I've agreed the steps to be taken this morning with Teague:

• I'll supply a new MK38 in 32" (serial number to be matched as close to my MX and with 18.7 bore) to Teague via RFD - expecting to pay around £900
  • Teague to engage BWM for the gunsmith work (cost to me approx £110+VAT) to fit new barrels
  • Teague to multi-choke the new barrels (proofing cert at my cost, £70+VAT)
  • Meanwhile, the original barrels are cut down to 29” and re-proofed (proofing cert at my cost, £70+VAT)
  • Any leftover components (e.g. wood, original barrels and action) will be returned to me (with a view to selling)
In total, with transport costs and other things.. I expect to spend less £1500

This will then be offset by the sum I achieve through selling the spare parts - making it the most cost effective in my mind (vs just buying another second hand MK38).

Looks a good deal to me and Teague being very helpful imho, are Teague going to match both guns to your remaining chokes

Edit: Or just shorten the original to 29''

I know it's been a problem with what happened for you,but at least you get to keep your custom wood and end up with another shotgun. I think you've done the best you can with the situation you were in

Wow. I’ve just caught up on the thread - which took a while! 😄

In terms of where we are. Teague have requested a price directly from Browning for the supply and fit of replacement barrels.

This would be at my cost.

It’s far more likely that buying a second hand MK38 and bringing my wood over will be much cheaper - however simply going through the process at the moment.

Thanks all! 
Interesting conversation..... Just had my MK38 multi choked by Teague. Got it back last week and looking to use it next week when Lockdown ends. I am hoping this does not happen to mine (and yes, I will make sure it is thoroughly cleaned and that the chokes are not loose)... 

OK so I've agreed the steps to be taken this morning with Teague:

• I'll supply a new MK38 in 32" (serial number to be matched as close to my MX and with 18.7 bore) to Teague via RFD - expecting to pay around £900
  • Teague to engage BWM for the gunsmith work (cost to me approx £110+VAT) to fit new barrels
  • Teague to multi-choke the new barrels (proofing cert at my cost, £70+VAT)
  • Meanwhile, the original barrels are cut down to 29” and re-proofed (proofing cert at my cost, £70+VAT)
  • Any leftover components (e.g. wood, original barrels and action) will be returned to me (with a view to selling)
In total, with transport costs and other things.. I expect to spend less £1500

This will then be offset by the sum I achieve through selling the spare parts - making it the most cost effective in my mind (vs just buying another second hand MK38).
sorry antse7en, I don't get it when you can buy a new grade one for £1660, or a second hand grade 5 for a couple of hundred more then swap the wood, then you have a whole matching numbers gun to sell

sorry antse7en, I don't get it when you can buy a new grade one for £1660, or a second hand grade 5 for a couple of hundred more then swap the wood, then you have a whole matching numbers gun to sell
Can you elaborate please @b725black? Maybe I'm missing something.

If I spend £1660 on a second hand G1, then add the cost of multi-choking, proof stamp (still x2) and work to bring my adjustable trigger and wood over to the new gun I'd be worse off than the original proposed route?

Action and barrel will also match up.

I'll effectively have two guns when it's all said and done:

Gun 1 - My wood, new action, new barrel, my trigger, my isis pad, new chokes

Gun 2 - to be sold as one or parts. New wood,original action and 29" fixed choke barrels, fixed trigger, factory pad.

Sorry bit confused here, where are you getting a new MK38 32'' for £900

Sorry bit confused here, where are you getting a new MK38 32'' for £900
😂 No not ‘New’ bud! 

New in the context of providing to Teague! 

Second hand of course. 

(in my above post you’ll see I said close to MX serial i.e around 2003 model)

to late now you have done the deal, but I quoted for a new 'new' grade 1 sporter already Teaque multi choked at £1660 with warranty sourced from Guntrader not a dog of a second hand one for £900. which is probably the minimum that you could get for your complete 29" barrelled gun.

to late now you have done the deal, but I quoted for a new 'new' grade 1 sporter already Teaque multi choked at £1660 with warranty sourced from Guntrader not a dog of a second hand one for £900. which is probably the minimum that you could get for your complete 29" barrelled gun.
https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/shotguns/miroku/over-under/12-gauge/mk-38-grade-1-201012170309177 Not exactly a dog and I know the chap.. also I shoot a trap not a sporter.

Sounds like a plan, but to put the cat amongst the pigeons, would it notbe better to get your adjustable trigger swapped over to the action of this one, as its already had the trigger pulls regulated , then swap wood over and obviously teague it. I would think the same gunsmith who did the triggers would do the wood swap at a realistic price.

Sounds like a plan, but to put the cat amongst the pigeons, would it notbe better to get your adjustable trigger swapped over to the action of this one, as its already had the trigger pulls regulated , then swap wood over and obviously teague it. I would think the same gunsmith who did the triggers would do the wood swap at a realistic price.
Absolutely! That’s what I’m doing mate - taking the action and barrels off of that gun above from GT. 

Back