There is no 'Magic' Gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salopian

Whilst working at a number of grounds and gunshops  in the last few weeks, I am amazed at the number of familiar faces who are, or are contemplating buying a new gun or different make ???????

Most of these people shoot very well , but  'fancied a change' .

Amongst the guns being sold are all of the 'magic' brand guns and models.

I do think that many people would rather change guns than buy a lesson or have their gun correctly fitted.

How many of you have actually had your gun correctly fitted?

Perhaps they have a new gun fitted then have a lesson?

Not much different from people changing cars every year or two - Because they can and like a change, as well as showing off the new reg.

All my guns have been altered to fit. Cannot see the point in trying to fit to a gun. It makes it hard work at the best of times.

NO! they are all looking for the gun that cannot miss! whenever they shoot badly its either the glasses, refs  fault, cartridges  tea was too hot! and of course they need a new gun,  A fecking Psychiatrist should be first choice.

Whilst working at a number of grounds and gunshops  in the last few weeks, I am amazed at the number of familiar faces who are, or are contemplating buying a new gun or different make ???????

I do think that many people would rather change guns than buy a lesson or have their gun correctly fitted.

The trouble with having a lesson is that you don't walk away with a nice shiny new gun!!  :smile:

I made the mistake of NOT blaming the gun...for 3 1/2 years...it's WAS fitted to me...I did have lessons with it...I did blame myself for every disappointing score...I never blamed the gun...but as it turns out, it was just NOT the gun for me (or anyone else other than a skeet shooter, it liked skeet)!!!

Changed gun, had it fitted, got a lesson with it, score's and concistancy have risen, so has my enjoyment of shooting!!!

I say this, but at the same time I totally agree with Salopain about serial gun changers...at least 9 times out of 10, it's not the gun, it's the shooter that is 'lacking'...

I can understand the attraction in thinking a new gun might help you shoot better.

I swopped from a Silver Pigeon to a DT10 just under a year ago.  Scores improved slightly, particularly on the faster targets.  Now I'm having no trouble at all on the quick stuff but anything slow and relatively close I'm missing, generally in front.  The heavier gun is great for targets where gun speed works, but just seems not as controllable for me at low speed.  Do I try and find something in between, go back to the Silver Pigeon (it's still in the cabinet) or stick with what the DT10 and try to master it?  Or is it nothing to do with the gun, all in my head and a couple of lessons focussing on slow close targets would sort me out?  

Isn't the Magic Gun always the one you just sold?

Certainly amongst the DTL boys so many seem to spend countless hours and many more thousands trying to reacquire the gun they sold six months hence...

I made the mistake of NOT blaming the gun...for 3 1/2 years...it's WAS fitted to me...I did have lessons with it...I did blame myself for every disappointing score...I never blamed the gun...but as it turns out, it was just NOT the gun for me (or anyone else other than a skeet shooter, it liked skeet)!!!

Changed gun, had it fitted, got a lesson with it, score's and concistancy have risen, so has my enjoyment of shooting!!!

I say this, but at the same time I totally agree with Salopain about serial gun changers...at least 9 times out of 10, it's not the gun, it's the shooter that is 'lacking'...
I agree entirely.

I have had guns that fitted but did not suit me for various reasons.

Isn't the Magic Gun always the one you just sold?

Certainly amongst the DTL boys so many seem to spend countless hours and many more thousands trying to reacquire the gun they sold six months hence...
this is also very true. I have re aquired three guns in the past :)

NO! they are all looking for the gun that cannot miss! whenever they shoot badly its either the glasses, refs  fault, cartridges  tea was too hot! and of course they need a new gun,  A fecking Psychiatrist should be first choice.
I had a few guns that couldn't miss. But the week after they could ..... so they went.

I like buying new guns I think it can be a good thing and unless your winning every week with world cup scores why not ???

I've never had a gun fitted or had any lessons as such. 

I shot a beretta 687 until my Mrs pinched it to put a fitted stock she had on it.

I now shoot a cheap mk38 which is straight of the shelf.....

I even shot Richard Faulds lefthanded Caesar Gurini (until I got mine back) for 5 reg shoots and hardly noticed a difference in my scores! And I'm right handed.

If I miss it's because "I've" missed. The gun doesn't choose where to shoot.

I like to stick to one gun and spend the money on shooting. 

Although if anyone wants a lesson Ed Solomons is your man! He has taken me out over a few clay just to identify how I shoot and if there are any improvements I can make. Good guy!

Last edited by a moderator:

What's correct fitting ? It can vary from one knowledgeable fitter to another knowledgeable fitter, ultimately only the shooter can know the best recipe and some just don't care enough about scores to chose lessons over the retail fix of changing guns, taking home a new toy is a powerful aphrodisiac. 

Sometimes the gun IS what makes the difference, more so than the so called perfect fit. 

So, Hamster are we to believe that you have never attempted to obtain a good gunfit?

Preferring to change guns instead?

So, Hamster are we to believe that you have never attempted to obtain a good gunfit?

Preferring to change guns instead?
Of course not but never had one fitted from scratch, I have known ones that were fail to live up to expectations though. I'm just saying changing guns (apart from serial changers) needn't be a sign that they're chasing higher scores with a credit card, it is usually just retail therapy because life is too short. 

I have kept the same gun/make for ever because I am experienced enough to know my trouble lies elsewhere but had I had unlimited funds then rest assured there'd be one of almost any top make in my cabinet and that I would also have spent good money on a custom stock to give me a better grip than my current gun. 

"Retail Therapy" - - I really like that!

Being a know-it-all makes my life easy when it comes to guns/shooting.  And I have noticed thru reading various forums over the years that most shooters of anything don't have a clue and usually are not interested in getting one.  Same tired topics endlessly and same tired unheeded responses endlessly.  Good fun, eh?  Shooting most anything is a relatively simple activity but it hinges on a fairly complicated man/machine symbiosis that may require some outside consultation.  Called coaches.  Most coaches fail because the coachees simply haven't the capability to integrate the data provided.  And trying to modify what may be years of dufus must be a source of some real regret in the choice of careers for the coaches themselves.  Of course there are those who muddle thru and eventually discover what a decent coach could have provided in a couple hours - - or not.

Personally I'm not sure the "new gun" is actually always tied to an anticipated improvement in performance.  Long ago I realized that there was no magic wand that was gonna overcome my deficiencies.  And I never changed guns thinking that there was.  But  ......................  well, you know how that goes

same here. Long ago I realised a new gun was probably not going to improve my shooting BUT I still enjoy the drama of "new gun buying"

Gun fit is one thing, but how it balances and the ease of control is another IMO. An MK38 trap is a gun that generally has  user friendly handling and shoots where you point. I have tried plenty of guns in my time, many felt awesome in the shop but just did not shoot where I thought they would do, DT10 sporter especially comes to mind. 

There is no 'Magic' Gun

Started by Salopian, 5 hours ago

You spoiler. Ohh yes there is.

You also need a magic coach, magic shells, magic glasses to go with it. 

Then its magic. You wave the wand and the clays disappear in a poof of dust.

You left out the magic parrot feathers in the draw-bolt hole under the pad.

But of course those are only necessary with a

Krrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhoooooorrrrfffffffffffff

Latest posts

Back