The Spitfire Shoot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_P

You can tell I've had a few days off work, and spending them getting to know a few local grounds I have'nt visited before.

The Spitfire Shoot is situated a mile or so west of Stockbridge Hants, right next to the A30, so about an hours run for me. Arranged to meet up with Peter Harding, the owner, and have a stooge around. Good sized car park, and a cosy club house, where Richard sorts out the paperwork, issues your "Promatic" card and takes your money. The card is pre loaded with several hundred clays, and the Promatic system counts the number of clays used, so you tot up at the end. TClays are charged at 30p each, so on a par with most other pay and play grounds. I had to show my shotgun certificate, and fill out a brief registration form, apparently Hampshire Constabulary like to know who's been shooting there. You also get issued a loyalty card that is stamped each time you shoot a hundred clays. After seven visits you get fifty free clays, not a bad idea....

The ground is nestled in a small open valley, with grass walkways between the well marked out stands. The ten stands were equipped with the Promatic Claymate radio system, so as I was shooting by myself, Peter showed me how to use the delay system, and how to set up following or simo pairs. Must say that the system worked very well, just had to remember to push the delay button before starting to shoot, ideal if you are shooting solo.

Good varied layout, a couple of midi traps and a 25 yard rabbit. All relatively close in, so I would say it was an ideal ground for beginners and intermediate shots. I would have liked to see one or two tougher presentations, but then I am fast becoming a FITASC addict and that means a bit of target masochism :)

Overall a very enjoyable morning, a warm welcome from Richard and Peter, and I wouldn't hesitate to take a group there for a bit of relaxed and fun shooting.

http://www.spitfires...o.uk/index.html

Bob

post-74-0-79515900-1331801501.jpg

post-74-0-11485200-1331801523.jpg

Attachments

• G4_B.jpg
    G4_B.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Nikki_Camera_094R.JPG
    Nikki_Camera_094R.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using Spitfire for solo practice over the last couple of months. The layout can appear relatively standard and simple on a still day, but the course radically changes even with a moderate wind as many of the traps seem to be wind exposed. Even the simple teal becomes a challenging target. The crossers on all the stands take on quite startingly different speeds and angle of arc depending on the strength and direction of the wind on any given day and this keeps things interesting. Stands 1 (going away birds) and 10 (incomers) should really always be shot as simo pairs as they are usually too easy on any day "OR". Peter and his team, including Poppy the lovely cocker puppy, have been very friendly and keen to chat.

I chatted to a few of the local shooters while I was there, and they made exactly the same point. It was very calm last week, so I was seeing the ground at it's easiest. I can imagine it would be a different matter with a stiff breeze blowing.

:D Oh yes, I've coached at Spitfire and it sure can blow through that little valley.

Tidy little ground though but needs some decent food. :(

Latest posts

Back