The "New" Promatic 70mm Clay.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Lawrence

What exactly is the point of this?

We have Mini at 60mm, so very close in size, Midi at 90mm, so a fair bit larger, and the Standard of course at 110mm, which still aren't big enough for some shooters!

So the 70mm is nothing but a "Fat Mini" with so little difference it will make no practical difference from a Mini? (Which you rarely see anyway).

Marketing hype again? Or just trying to set a trend that will be fasionable for 10 minutes, then die a death, particularly as you have to buy a new trap just to throw these things.

Is it worth it Ground Owners?        Convince me...........................?

Have you shot 70mm clays yet or are you just bumping your gums? They had one on at the Beretta Worlds,  Hodnet...to me it was like shooting a mini you could see!!! Same flight characteristics as a mini, looks like it comes off the trap at warp speed, then slows down very rapidly, but a fair bit easier to see.

Have you shot 70mm clays yet or are you just bumping your gums? They had one on at the Beretta Worlds,  Hodnet...to me it was like shooting a mini you could see!!! Same flight characteristics as a mini, looks like it comes off the trap at warp speed, then slows down very rapidly, but a fair bit easier to see.
So like a mini, but not a mini? So close to being a mini, but not different enough to be a midi. Never had any trouble seeing minis myself, so again, is it worth it?

I will admit to not ever seeing one, or the traps to throw them, but I've never seen the moon close up, and I know I wouldn't want to go there. :smile:

Sales seems to be the prime motivator for this so far? Is it working? Are they popular on the shoots where you go Darkside? They haven't made it as far as Devon yet as far as I know, but then we are stuck in the 60's as far as modern life goes!!

Another reason might be the inconsistent trajectories of mini targets. The extra size might just help to give a more regular flight line, whilst retaining the characteristics of the mini

regards

Leigh 

The new 70mm target was used at Hodnet for the Beretta world,,,,,,, it did catch a few out, thats for sure !!!

I throw a mini target every now along with a mixture of standards, midis, battues, rabbits & even the odd rocket !!! but the mini can be wind effected, if you apply too much spring they can be inconsistent which nobody likes.

The new 70mm target is slightly larger, therefore has a bit more weight to it & will give consistant trajectories in its flight path.

Its another tool in the target setters box to keep shooters happy & think congratulations are in order for Promatic for introducing this  :smile:

I am currently waiting for the demo machine to be delivered to me & looking forward to introducing one to my repatoire of targets !!! 

The new 70mm target was used at Hodnet for the Beretta world,,,,,,, it did catch a few out, thats for sure !!!

I throw a mini target every now along with a mixture of standards, midis, battues, rabbits & even the odd rocket !!! but the mini can be wind effected, if you apply too much spring they can be inconsistent which nobody likes.

The new 70mm target is slightly larger, therefore has a bit more weight to it & will give consistant trajectories in its flight path.

Its another tool in the target setters box to keep shooters happy & think congratulations are in order for Promatic for introducing this  :smile:

I am currently waiting for the demo machine to be delivered to me & looking forward to introducing one to my repatoire of targets !!! 
Thanks Phil. Good to hear it from the course setter's point of view. Now I get the point. Perhaps it will replace the 60mm mini eventually?

Pity you are not closer to the South West. It sounds interesting at your ground with that mix of targets. Maybe one day I'll do a trip East.

Shot at the Spitfire Shoot last week and they had this on as part of a simultaneous pair.  First bird caught me out and I over-led it substantially.  It was only when it hit the ground that I realised that it wasn't anywhere near as far out as I thought.  If it had been set up so that you couldn't see the missed bird hitting the ground I reckon it would have taken me a lot longer to get on it.

I would say yes !

It is now a readily available clay and they have used them in Europe for some time now.

Obviously it is a new one here and maybe the CPSA have not had time to discuss it or recognise it.

But it cannot in anyway be deemed an unfair target presentation.

Can it ?

I am not sure CPSA says fitasc target and I cannot see where 70mm is recognised  on the fitasc web site hopefully  cpsa will accept it so there are no disputes .

It's being used in reg shoots can't see there'd be a problem though.

One question is the 70mm target allowed under CPSA regs ?
Its been approved & used already in a England team selection shoot & at the Beretta World Sporting which is now a CPSA reg event

I am not sure CPSA says fitasc target and I cannot see where 70mm is recognised  on the fitasc web site hopefully  cpsa will accept it so there are no disputes .
It was also used in the European FITASC event in Hungary this year & i have confirmation from Chief international FITASC Ref Hugh Smith that its okay to use under reg events !!

Back