Tennis/Golfers Elbow

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes i have it too, from over work and too much shooting. If its really bad i year a elasticated bandage thing...thats bandage not bondage thats a whole different thread :)

Yes i have it too, from over work and too much shooting. If its really bad i year a elasticated bandage thing...thats bandage not bondage thats a whole different thread :)
What like '50 shades of shooting'....... :eek:

Thanks for all the advice folks, I shall be tackling it in a 3 pronged approach.

Firstly, going back to my Docs and if I get no joy from them I have asked a few local mates for recommendations for a sports injury clinic.

Secondly strapping and icing it to try and prevent further damage while I get the Docs on the case.

Thirdly, try to get to the root cause which at the moment I believe to be recoil related as it only started 3 months ago when I changed my stock to one without a recoil reducer. Game season probably isnt helping either as I have been putting quite a few 40 odd gram bombs up it. I shall be dropping down to 21g loads for a while to see if that helps and if so looking at getting an isis fitted.

Fuz,

I remember from yesterday at Owls Lodge, when you were having trouble hitting one of the R/L crossers, out the front of the club house, that I thought at the time you had the gun mounted along way over more onto the shoulder muscle as opposed to in the shoulder pocket, I was going to remark on this but I think Mrs Fuz had to get some more cartridges or other and I forgot all about it at the time. Not sure whether you normally shoot like this as it's been a little while since I last watched you, just something that might be causing pressure on the joints.

You're right Andy, I did have a couple of dodgy mounts at Owls, a real long way out, could feel it on the shoulder last night. I think it was only a couple but I will get Mrs Fuz to have a watch when we shoot next, something may have changed in my mount.

"something may have changed in my mount . . . . . I will get Mrs Fuz to watch"

Yup, well I guess she would be the first to notice !!!   :oops:

Get back down the doc's Fuz.

Been having a few probs with my hands and wrists lately, rang the doc's 8.30am today, in at 9.20am reffered to x-ray dept at Abingdon.Got to ring x-ray dept at 14.30 for appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Booked in for 15th, can't get any earlier cos of my stupid shifts :(

Update.

Managed to sneak into the docs on Friday. Got lucky and saw a doctor whose new wife has done a bit of shooting :) Diagnosis was acute tendonitis which is pushing against the ulna nerve.

We chatted about possible causes and when I mentioned shooting he said he would be worried if I was shooting 4 or 5 times a week 100 odd shells a pop but 100-200 over the weekend probably isnt the cause :D His thought is driving is probably the root cause as this is something I do for 50 odd hours a week.

Treatment is a months worth of Naproxyn anti-inflamatories, a full elbow support when driving (wearing it shooting wouldnt hurt just in case) and massaging ice cubes into the affected areas every night to "topically" ice it rather than just cooling the whole elbow with an ice pack. Also said try to adapt my driving style, less hauling it round one handed.

lets see how it is in a month :)

Had a very similar experience with tendonitis in both my knees...took 15-18 months to heal, very sore, still have to watch it doesn't flair up, kneeling on concrete caused it,

Been on naproxyn for when my knees swell up ( plumbers knee ) all that begging to get paid :))

Be carefull with your stomach as they are quite strong and I would always take them with food.

They do the job for me and when my knee goes down I stop taking them but as soon as I feel it getting tight I'm straight back on them.

Hope the pain eases soon for you fuzz

Would hate it to be an excuse for bad shooting :))

Yeah, thats what the doc said, with food and any stomach pain get back to him and he will give something less aggressive. More excuses are always welcome :)

Had the same problem some years ago.

After a lot of visits to doctors , i cured it with a combination of a neoprene elbow support , some vitamins (B1 , B6 , B12) , rest and a pad under my elbow while I'm using the PC at work.

Fuz.

I'm not a doctor but positive good health (as opposed to ill health which is what doctors study) is a subject I've studied fairly closely for more than 40 years. Naproxyn is an NSAID; the same type of drug as Ibuprofen but much stronger. These drugs work by reducing the hormones which cause the inflammation, but they can have numerous side effects, some of which could render you unfit to drive safely. It's not widely understood but this can also happen with relatively mild, non-prescription NSAIDs like Ibuprofen and Naproxyn is a seriously wicked strength version.

There are always safer, healthier ways than NSAIDs to resolve joint inflammation as Androu suggests above, and I very much recommend that take the Naproxyn for as short a time as possible.

Your heart and your circulation will thank you.

Hi,

I'm a real newbie when it comes to shooting but Like to think I am a bit of an expert in Tennis elbow...I am a physiotherapist!

Best treatment I find is using an ice cube to massage the area of tenderness. Also complete stretches of both the wrist extensors and flexors (tennis elbow affects the Extensors but wort stretching both - check on you tube for exercises). Self massage (rubbing the area of tenderness) can help. If you can get to a Physio whilst is in the early stages, Therapeutic ultrasound can help too. It can be injected by docs/some physios but most will try to treat it with the above first.. It is basically an overuse injury, so try to find ways of using both hands when lifting something heavy (I.e kettle etc) Or alternating which hand you use for things (no comments there ;-) )It will eventually go away by itself but the above will help it to go quicker....

And take regular anti inflammatories/pain relief when it is painful..obviously only take the recommended dose on the packet...

And take regular anti inflammatories/pain relief when it is painful..obviously only take the recommended dose on the packet...
But only when it's really really painful as in debilitating or sleep preventing. Inflammation pain is there for a reason; prevention of further damage. Anti-inflammatories and particularly pain killers should not be used instead of proper recovery & repair. Even some medical professionals are now agreeing that, despite the relentless TV advertising, NSAIDs should only ever be used as a last resort. Just do a search on health risks of NSAIDs.

As mentioned previously, there are better, safer and healthier ways to resolve joint inflammation.

Back