Stratstone 7

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Moore K-80

Hi, firstly i am sorry if this is in the wrong section so admin please relocate if so. I am off to shoot the Stratstone tower challenge on the 8th Jan and was wondering what to expect? To the guys and gals that have already had a go, what are the birds like both in angle and distance? Do you get to see them all prior to shooting them and do they give away which are midi's and which are standard? To the AA shots, what shot size do you consider to be the best for this please? I generally shoot 3/4 and Full which i guess will be a good choke choice for the birds in question? Sorry for all the questions but it's nice to be prepared and as i have done no clay shooting for ages i will need to buy shells.

Hey there - good questions...

1. Book in - they'll take you round the course with an instructor who will button and score.

2. You'll do 5 x stands of 10 on the sporting - nice stands, will get the gun swinging

3. Then into the tower. Give them a box of shells, and keep two more in your pocket.  They'll show you the first bird... then load, close the gun and shout PULL - the whole sequence flows without stopping. 

4. They'll call the birds - but only where they are going - not the clay - so 'two straight on report', then 'wide left full use' 

5. Shoot them all.  The sequence carries on. If there is a no-bird, the scorer will shout you to stay on that one and they'll resend.

6. Break your gun and let the ejectors do their work - they load for you.

7. Have another go from step 3. You get two goes for your money.

They are pretty high, and the wide birds are big.   Some are pretty deceptive (think edge on driven, or upside down clays)... and one split pair requires some bloody good shooting to get.

But - it is singularly the most fun I have had shooting for a while.  

You can go up to 30g 8's  - I used 28g 7.5's - an expert might tell me I am wrong. 

Closest are 35 yards above you. Longest are 70yards I would say from memory. Nothing ballisticly challenging, but don't use skeet choke and 9's!

I would say the wide right and wide left on the current challenge are at least 70 yards. 

Forget chokes, shot sizes for a start! Stick with what your used to and just approach the targets with the respect they deserve! U2,U3 & 7.5 shot on everything for me, but different people have different preferences

Not shot this yet, but have watched the sequence, I would say what is catching a lot of people is line, 2 of the driven are climbing and 2 are descending, the wide birds need lead but also you have to watch the line.

Only 5 are full size, the other 20 are midi's. It fools you into think they are higher than they really are. Play the percentage game on the pairs by staying on the same clay if you miss it with the first shot.

Back