strange things are happening (re-seeing lead)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Through the hedge and just where the path starts.  Took a few goes before hitting one from there.  I think we guessed it at about 80m.

I'm not sure I see the point of all the mega-range targets but then shooting clay targets in itself is a pretty stupid hobby.  Unless of course one has the talent/skills to make the money shoots for BIG$ pay. 

I'm not sure I see the point of all the mega-range targets but then shooting clay targets in itself is a pretty stupid hobby.  Unless of course one has the talent/skills to make the money shoots for BIG$ pay. 
Pointing a gun at the target is surely the least interesting thing ever? We call it a waste of lead. (That's ledd, not leeeeed). The ONLY reason to do this sport is to be shooting at a bit of fresh air that will eventually contain the clay when it gets there, surely? Otherwise we may as well just be knocking tin cans off a wall with an air rifle.

Shot the tower up at sporting targets a couple of time recently and no way the A bird was killable with just gun speed - needed a massive gap - great fun - feels good when they dust 

really like the new areas that they have created there to shoot the towers especially the one in the middle section as the old stand they had was pretty poor - the new stand on the right down some steps is great - good to see they are still developing the ground and making improvements 

There was a good 70 yard battue on the black course stand 13 at Hepworth last week I don't see how anyone could hit that without seeing lead. I saw around 25- 30 ft.

And before anyone asks. Yes I did hit it 
It's funny how lead is perceived Jonathon Balls hit all 4 on that stand in his 94 and said he only saw about 6 feet. By the way I didn't even frighten it!!

It's funny how lead is perceived Jonathon Balls hit all 4 on that stand in his 94 and said he only saw about 6 feet. By the way I didn't even frighten it!!
He's taller than me.  Closer to the clay.

An easy way to see how people perceive lead is to ask what they see on a station 4 skeet target. It needs around 4 feet it doesn't matter if you shoot maintained swing through or anything else if you smoke it your giving it 4 foot. Now that 70 yard battue certainly needed more 6 foot didn't it.

I think we have to go back to the original topic of the thread and indeed my whole point about churchil method and that is that we are talking "normal" distance sim driven and game. We or rather I am not talking about stupid high pheasant (which personally I would not shoot) or stupid distance / presentation trick shot clays. For the target / bird that I am talking about gun speed / instinct can work. I am now aware of lead but I am still using gun speed to attain it. That is and will remain my style because that is how I naturally shoot and how I enjoy shooting. I have no interest in AAA esp or in high pheasant. Sporting and sim driven for me is purely practice for game shooting at a distance that I am happy to attain a clean kill.

He's taller than me.  Closer to the clay.

An easy way to see how people perceive lead is to ask what they see on a station 4 skeet target. It needs around 4 feet it doesn't matter if you shoot maintained swing through or anything else if you smoke it your giving it 4 foot. Now that 70 yard battue certainly needed more 6 foot didn't it.
I would have thought so but as I said I was no where near it so tricky for me to comment.

I am still confused when it comes to lead at distance, Paddy Howe sees lead as a fag packet but from different aspects. If it is really close it is the the thickness of a Rizla and to my knowledge he doesn't even smoke!!!

I think we have to go back to the original topic of the thread and indeed my whole point about churchil method and that is that we are talking "normal" distance sim driven and game. We or rather I am not talking about stupid high pheasant (which personally I would not shoot) or stupid distance / presentation trick shot clays. For the target / bird that I am talking about gun speed / instinct can work. I am now aware of lead but I am still using gun speed to attain it. That is and will remain my style because that is how I naturally shoot and how I enjoy shooting. I have no interest in AAA esp or in high pheasant. Sporting and sim driven for me is purely practice for game shooting at a distance that I am happy to attain a clean kill.
If you're happy with the number of sporting clays you're hitting then all good.  But if you only use one technique you'll hit a plateau and there are some targets that you'll always struggle with.  You'll find that there are always some targets at a sporting shoot that require a significant amount of lead.

I was half way short on the Battue on stand 13 black at the Essex then if it needed 25-30 foot. I thought it must have been a midi battue!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're happy with the number of sporting clays you're hitting then all good.  But if you only use one technique you'll hit a plateau and there are some targets that you'll always struggle with.  You'll find that there are always some targets at a sporting shoot that require a significant amount of lead.
I accept your valid point however as I say I am not interested in top scores at trick shot esp I am only interested (for now) at honing my skills on "normal" driven sim and game. I would not shoot at a sixty yard pheasant as I personally would not accept the high probability of an injured not dead bird therefore I see no point in practising the shot. For me if I need to be able to measure twenty foot of lead then the shot is too difficult and I would leave the bird until next week, plus I enjoy the way I shoot but I accept the limitations that come with it.

Pointing a gun at the target is surely the least interesting thing ever? We call it a waste of lead. (That's ledd, not leeeeed). The ONLY reason to do this sport is to be shooting at a bit of fresh air that will eventually contain the clay when it gets there, surely? Otherwise we may as well just be knocking tin cans off a wall with an air rifle.
Interesting point Will, and put in a way that I've never really considered before. I guess the issue for some, is that Sporting is/was meant to replicate the live quarry. However, with the advent and proliferation of competitive shooting, I suppose some feel the "bit of fresh air" can become a bit too much of a sh*tload (to borrow Bebo's vernacular)  

Personally, I agree with what you've said but reserve the right to keep it within limits. So for me, I prefer my targets to be in the same county as me when I'm shooting. 

Interesting point Will, and put in a way that I've never really considered before. I guess the issue for some, is that Sporting is/was meant to replicate the live quarry. However, with the advent and proliferation of competitive shooting, I suppose some feel the "bit of fresh air" can become a bit too much of a sh*tload (to borrow Bebo's vernacular)  

Personally, I agree with what you've said but reserve the right to keep it within limits. So for me, I prefer my targets to be in the same county as me when I'm shooting. 
exactly ...

Ips it wasn't long ago when you were totally convinced that you didnt see a gap,now its becoming more apparent, in time you will see more and more,and maybe even come back to this thread and realise shooting the bigger distances isnt a trick shot or anything unusual at all.keeping with in your limits is fine but natural progression will expand them anyway,and you may even find yourself using different styles at some point maybe even without noticing.

true Paul. As I said on the first post I am now aware of it BUT I am not measuring it or taking it into account and neither do I want to as I like instinctive shooting. This is why I like sim driven its so fast that you have little time for a pre meditated shot. I enjoy the odd round of esp but I dislike the whole script of watching others shoot the target and working out were and how and by how much. Its all to clynical and synthetic for me.

pigeon roost shooting was fun no pigeon, then a pigeon ... Bollox it went before I got gun up. No pigeon, pigeon half a second to mount pull trigger and take the shot between a small gap in the trees. Got it ? no way can you measure any of that ?

I know, let's change the name of this site to Shoot Wimpclay. I'll start another one called Shoot Worthwhileclay. ?

There was a good article in Clay Shooting mag a few years ago by Carl Bloxham. The two things I recall from it were "Sporting has moved way beyond just attempting to replicate live quarry" and "only take advice from a sporting shooter if their CPSA average is 85 or more". (Quotes from memory.. not word for word..). Admittedly, this makes me a borderline case for advisor. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are missing the point of this specific thread . I say again I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT SPORTING, I AM TALKING ABOUT SIM DRIVEN AND GAME AT REASONABLE DISTANCE.

Latest posts

Back