Standards at shooting grounds

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was speaking earlier to a young person who had attended the Reading pop concert,l challenged him on the dreadful mess that had been left by those who attended,His reply was as he  and his girlfriend had paid £600 to attend the organisers  could easily afford to clear up after them .Is this attitude creeping into  Big event clay pigeon shoots?
No, just life in Britain in general, have a look at the verges around traffic lights, the car parks around fast food outlets, football matches AND Game Fairs. Mind you I did observe one of the worst culprits, a large black backed gull pulling pizza boxes and burger boxes out of the rather full litter bins and scattering the contents around the car park, after finishing the remains of the food.  What chance do we stand when kids see their Parents chucking litter around, ?  They grow up believing that it is 'the normal' thing to do   !

I find this staggering above as i was under the impression that the main shoot loos were locked up all week , thats why i had a big trailer loo delivered in and serviced every day !!!

but while we are on the subject if messy grounds u fo know it took me about 40 mins every night to collect spent cartridge bixes and 250 cases that had just been dumped in the car park and on the grass , is there really need to do this ???

errr... think I’ve stumbled onto the wrong forum, this is clearly a cottage industry..

In all seriousness, no excuse for littering, ever... travelling home from wales shooting last Saturday and stopped at Oxford services and some fat git threw his starbuck cup out of the window and on to the floor, was pretty surprised when I opened the door and threw it back in again...

PP that is exactly what I do when given the chance. I find it personally amusing to catch a litterer up and say " Excuse me , but you dropped this."

I cannot remember the name of the ground at Milton Keynes that was built on the golf club theme , beautiful clubhouse and a dedicated clayshooting ground , lasted about three years and went bust.

But could this be a way forward ? Worked on the Golf club system of a high annual membership , I am sure if we had an ownership in something we would care for it?

Had a very intersting chat with Kim, the chap that owns the land where the shoot was WestonWood, now theres been no shooting of any description there since March, hes still finding rubbish hidden away in “nooks an crannies” which in his words “took a effn lot of effort to hide rather than use the effn bin” 

I find this staggering above as i was under the impression that the main shoot loos were locked up all week , thats why i had a big trailer loo delivered in and serviced every day !!!

but while we are on the subject if messy grounds u fo know it took me about 40 mins every night to collect spent cartridge bixes and 250 cases that had just been dumped in the car park and on the grass , is there really need to do this ???
I wasn't suggesting that you were in anyway responsible for this Steve but as you walked up to the club house the trailer toilets were obscured.

When i went back the second time i was aware of the other toilets but thought it fair to give them the opportunity that they may have cleaned them.

I have no idea who was responsible for the logistics of this but i did mention to the CPSA on registration about the portaloo at the bottom and was met with looks that said WTF has that got to do with us and no verbal response...i see that as an opportunity ignored.

I didn’t see them either, I used the club ladies loo at the beginning of my day and at the end, both times very clean.

I find that toilet facilities at most shoots are pretty rough, longridge has toilets near the clubhouse that are not entirely enclosed from the corridor that leads to the ladies next door and then there’s the portaloo half way round that contains specimens of creatures not seen since the last ice age. On my first visit to four counties some years ago the door slammed behind me and a piece of ceiling fell on my head. Meadowcroft and Gunsite have both significantly improved since first starting out but there seems to be no provision for a toilet break at any point around most shoots and as more and more ladies come into the sport just nipping into the hedge is becoming less appropriate, that said we had a lady in our squad at the British but even the refs on stands 10&11 had to nip into the bushes when the traps were being filled as the toilet block was too far to just ‘pop’ to the loo. Why were the clubhouse toilets and the toilet block so close together?. I sampled both the club toilet and the toilet block and have to say whilst the toilet block that Steve claims he provided was clean and tidy the club toilet was as disgusting as in the pics above,  I’ve attended the ground previously and also some other grounds with similar amenities and just can’t help thinking that 1 toilet and 1 maybe 2 urinals between 150-200 shooters just isn’t adequate and there’s no wonder they end up in a state, however we as the ‘users’ should help keep them in a condition  where you’d rather use them than either wait or use the hedge.

Last edited by a moderator:
We see it happen and in true British style quietly ignore it until we are home and can have a bleat on the Internet. 

Say something to the tw*t who won't pick up his spent cartridges or dumps boxes in the car park.

Of course the abuse you'll get will make you a pariah at every shoot! :)  

The 'I've paid so I can act like a pig' crowd need a firm kick up the arse! Total lack of self-respect.

Perhaps a few discrete cctv cameras followed by posting the culprits pictures on the Internet and the rubbish to their work addresses might give a few wake up calls. Or is that just a little too passive aggressive?  :)  

An addition to competition entries. Your entry fee does not cover wiping your arse and basic consideration for your fellow competitors ...... £40 to shoot ... £25 additional if you require a cleaner you lazy, inconsiderate sh*t! ( Cleaners will accompany shooters around the shoot wearing high vis jackets marked with 'I'm cleaning up after this pig' )

Sorry but it really pisses me off. I'm currently on holiday in Greece and the stunning countryside is blighted with piles of rubbish by the roadside, the attitude of 'someone will clean it up because I pay tax' is astounding. Especially in the light that tax evasion is a national pastime! It's as if some people are totally blind to it. 

I will now return to soaking up some sun! :)  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Could easily rig a camera to take a shot of person as they enter a toilet. A shot of the inside of the cubicle and a shot as they exit ...... For 'evidence'

trouble is the culprits would spend time vandalising the camera rather than cleaning up!

Per littering - I see it as my responsibility to ensure I don't leave any, anywhere.

It's not for me to take responsibility for others poor behavior and risk a public slanging match or indeed a potential broken nose! 

Per littering - I see it as my responsibility to ensure I don't leave any, anywhere.

It's not for me to take responsibility for others poor behavior and risk a public slanging match or indeed a potential broken nose! 
 True. But a broken nose would ensure that at least one lout was never allowed near a shooting ground or even a shotgun again.

If I see people ejecting cartridges on ground or leaving boxes on ground I make a point of picking them up and putting in the bins whilst they are there in the hope of shaming them!  Sometimes it works!  

If I see people ejecting cartridges on ground or leaving boxes on ground I make a point of picking them up and putting in the bins whilst they are there in the hope of shaming them!  Sometimes it works!  
One top shooter just drops boxes on the ground by his car. Somehow, they found their way under his windscreen wipers.

its down to the individual !  some slovenly gits about in all walks of life , they just continue to be slovenly at shooting grounds !  

“Look at them, sir,” he said, with a motion of his hand towards the wallowing swine. “Rightly is they called pigs.” “Rightly indeed,” Mr. Wimbush agreed."

The unfortunate truth is that people are no different than other primate species in terms of fouling their environment.  And unfortunately that is a universal truth.  There are some who are notable exceptions but by and large the general population anywhere is rightly called pigs.

JMO of course

Latest posts

Back