Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes everybody you spoke to said "6 and 8". I shot this shoot with my Perazzi which I haven't shot for almost a year. I couldn't tell if the shoot was deceptive or more likely it's odd to pick up an old gun! Just wanted to clear my head by changing; but a bit daft to go straight in to a registered.. I missed some easy looking stuff with it for sure, while hitting longer ones pretty well. Only missed the first battue on stand 6 but only found the orange dropper once! Needed a ton underneath. Finished on 80 and felt it might have been 85 with my Blaser.. 93 won it I believe. 
I felt I could have been low to mid-70's with less sloppiness on some of the stands.  Five stands on 7 is not good.  I also missed a last pair on a stand I was all over, getting over eager instead of doing exactly the same thing as I'd done on the earlier pairs.

I was definitely missing the orange bird on 6 over the top then as I wasn't giving it much.  Was doing the same thing on the overhead on 8.

I felt I could have been low to mid-70's with less sloppiness on some of the stands.  Five stands on 7 is not good.  I also missed a last pair on a stand I was all over, getting over eager instead of doing exactly the same thing as I'd done on the earlier pairs.

I was definitely missing the orange bird on 6 over the top then as I wasn't giving it much.  Was doing the same thing on the overhead on 8.
I'd be surprised, I inked them and shot JUST off the bottom edge.

I'd be surprised, I inked them and shot JUST off the bottom edge.
My reasoning was that it wasn't that far away so wouldn't need much, so I was going just below.  Didn't work for me though.

Your coaching on sim pairs is working.  Sim pair of teals I hit a 7.  Slowed myself down to let the second bird peak and took it just as it was dropping. Got a six on Stand 1, rushed the second bird twice, but got the other two well by leaving them slightly longer and making sure that I pushed through to get the lead I needed.

My reasoning was that it wasn't that far away so wouldn't need much, so I was going just below.  Didn't work for me though.
I suspect Ed was pushing hard to that small gap. He doesn't sod about. ? I tend to pull away then slow up a bit. This will account for a different visual gap.

I suspect Ed was pushing hard to that small gap. He doesn't sod about. ? I tend to pull away then slow up a bit. This will account for a different visual gap.
I've watched you shoot, you're much more measured and deliberate about it than I am.  I was attempting maintained lead just underneath.  I've been told off by Ed for my bad habit of pulling away with a downward flick on dropping targets and going too far under as a result.

Horne today for a 75. As usual dropped lots of ones and twos. Only problem bird for me was again my usual - high incomer. Everything else I could hit comfortably, just kept making silly unforced errors.

Gunsite today bit windy, no wet stuff though felt autumnal, shot it with brother, aka Billy Bunter, started steady, dropped two bouncy bunnies hit a rich patch only to fall apart like a cheap watch dropping 9/16 targets, Billy 73 Old Codger 78 which not only gives me family bragging rights on the drive home might even be a C class place

High gun when left was J Heargan 94, though some AA AAA superstars still out there

Work beckons and busy week ahead, might have to wait until next week to shoot again, Ill be at Meadowcroft please fo say hello, Im the one with the grey hair Billy has no hair ?

Hepworth Hall for the 120 bird super sporting and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Was slightly nervous after reading Hammies report as I struggle with 'close' targets but I've been trying very hard to not panic on them.  Anyway finished on 90, mucked up the rabbits on stand 6 but was chuffed to bits to straighten stand 5 over the pond and a few others too.  Enjoyed the shoot, good bit of fun and it makes a change having 3 targets to worry about rather than just 2!

First time visit to Doveridge to shoot for Gloucestershire at the Intercounties today. Slightly spoilt due to a person dropping out a matter of hours before the shoot. This caused a chain reaction of drop outs due to logistics and meant that I had a long journey to shoot a normal registered as we didn't have the numbers to field the team I was in. 

It was still a merry bunch to go around with and share the journey with. Stew Keen, Sue Tippet and the legend that is Matt Turk.

Its a nice ground and there were target presentations I've not really seen before so it was a good test and a great learning curve. 

Some big and tricky targets that really felt rewarding to break, but caused quite a few misses on the card. Ended on 67/100 which is a shame as I felt my actual shooting was good, just the losses soon added up over 14 stands.

First time visit to Doveridge to shoot for Gloucestershire at the Intercounties today. Slightly spoilt due to a person dropping out a matter of hours before the shoot. This caused a chain reaction of drop outs due to logistics and meant that I had a long journey to shoot a normal registered as we didn't have the numbers to field the team I was in. 

It was still a merry bunch to go around with and share the journey with. Stew Keen, Sue Tippet and the legend that is Matt Turk.

Its a nice ground and there were target presentations I've not really seen before so it was a good test and a great learning curve. 

Some big and tricky targets that really felt rewarding to break, but caused quite a few misses on the card. Ended on 67/100 which is a shame as I felt my actual shooting was good, just the losses soon added up over 14 stands.
How did Matt do? Used to work with him. 

Toughie at honesberie today. Not made any easier by a stiff breeze and some questionable use of  dodgy coloured clays on unsuitable backgrounds. Shame ... Only one in the 90's when I left. Still a few stars about though. 

Jasper. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Meticulous planning was meant to drive 165 miles up to Honesberie with a friend for our first visit there then down to Weston Wood and maybe even catch Gatton Bottom last entry, traffic allowing, as it turned out up at 5.15 getting ready was about to jump in the car when text brings me the awful news that one of his labs had taken a very nasty turn during the night and things not looking good  :cry: , feel for you mate.

I couldn't face the 300+ mile jaunt alone so back to bed I went and ended up doing Greenfelds, then Abbey then Gatton Bottom reg, the former two more than a bit testing but great shoots nonetheless, bumped into a few friends as well.  :smile:  

Gunsite today bit windy, no wet stuff though felt autumnal, shot it with brother, aka Billy Bunter, started steady, dropped two bouncy bunnies hit a rich patch only to fall apart like a cheap watch dropping 9/16 targets, Billy 73 Old Codger 78 which not only gives me family bragging rights on the drive home might even be a C class place

High gun when left was J Heargan 94, though some AA AAA superstars still out there

Work beckons and busy week ahead, might have to wait until next week to shoot again, Ill be at Meadowcroft please fo say hello, Im the one with the grey hair Billy has no hair ?
Well shot Rich. I didn't realise the 419 northbound was closed so on the way home I ended up spending almost an hour crawling through the dreary wilderness that is Swindon.

Hepworth Hall for the 120 bird super sporting and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Was slightly nervous after reading Hammies report as I struggle with 'close' targets but I've been trying very hard to not panic on them.  Anyway finished on 90, mucked up the rabbits on stand 6 but was chuffed to bits to straighten stand 5 over the pond and a few others too.  Enjoyed the shoot, good bit of fun and it makes a change having 3 targets to worry about rather than just 2!
A straight on stand 5 was top shooting I only hit 4. Shot the rest reasonably well for 101.

Scores are up on FB, won with a 115 but plenty of good shooters seemingly struggled a little. 

Well shot Rich. I didn't realise the 419 northbound was closed so on the way home I ended up spending almost an hour crawling through the dreary wilderness that is Swindon.
Thank you, well Ive felt a bit beaten up in four of my last five shoots, had to dig deep to save feeling humiliated, did not have any lucky dip stands today (where B & C have Bob Hope of a chance) and managed to find some tricky looking targets early, will confess to feeling a bit pleased with myself as for the A419, It was closed when we drove down from Cirencester re-surfacing & looked an all day job,  when homeward we took m4 west to RWB then B4696 onwards to Cirencester, less than 10 mins added to the usual drive home.

Toughie at honesberie today. Not made any easier by a stiff breeze and some questionable use of  dodgy coloured clays on unsuitable backgrounds. Shame ... Only one in the 90's when I left. Still a few stars about though. 

Jasper. 
I struggled with a few coloured ones at Honesberie.  Honesberie and Westonwood both good shoots but I really should just have stayed in bed today,   

Well shot Rich  :hunter: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back