Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another great day with Southdown reg scoring 86 which I'm very pleased about because between stands 3-11 I dropped only three birds which included some good straights on birds I'm not too fluid on, unfortunately dropped 4 birds on stands 1 and 12  :oops: , the saving grace being that it was the same bird each time meaning lack of knowledge rather than mental block etc, - then went to Horne with friends around 1.30 and managed 3rd in AA with 91 despite dropping the last two pairs off the platform  :oops: , shot the rest pretty well even if they're not world class targets. 

500 reg in 2 days is the most I've done  :cool: . Oh what it must be like to be either sponsored or idle rich.  :angel:
Well ive been called idle (and worse) and Rich so Im part way there ? 500 in two days well done and Fair play youve more get up and go than I

Last edited by a moderator:
No we shot off to the Barley Mow, where they serve Badger Best Bitter. That's the beer that my Local tells me is a bad batch and nobody is doing it right now...

Are you doing the 100 bird ESP that allegedly might happen on Wednesday at Purbeck maybe? 
I did FB message you..if i have nothing workwise i will...what time you shooting?

Also Horne and I think I shot behind you on almost every stand.

Finished on 77. Started out well but stuffed up a couple of targets that I definitely shouldn't have, so feeling a little disappointed.

Also spoke to Will. Thanks for the advice. You're right, I do need to slow down and be more controlled on those sort of target. I'd done well earlier not to rush the long incomers (which I normally do) and totally lost the plot on that one.
Sorry missed this reply amongst the many. You were the lady working your way up the hill whose card I took a couple of times to hand to the ref with mine? I was wearing a black cap, navy musto skeet vest. If so sorry I had no idea. Should really check scorecards to see if I recognise the name. I was just happy to be hitting stuff after saturdays nightmare.

As for the long incomers they suit gun down more but I shoot everything gun up. I think most miss over the top as need to properly get under them.

Say hi if you see me out again.

Sorry missed this reply amongst the many. You were the lady working your way up the hill whose card I took a couple of times to hand to the ref with mine? I was wearing a black cap, navy musto skeet vest. If so sorry I had no idea. Should really check scorecards to see if I recognise the name. I was just happy to be hitting stuff after saturdays nightmare.

As for the long incomers they suit gun down more but I shoot everything gun up. I think most miss over the top as need to properly get under them.

Say hi if you see me out again.
I was.  I didn't know it was you or I would have said hi.  I will do if I see you around again.

It was the incomer over the tree that accompanied the rabbit I lost the plot on.  Missed all three trying to spot shoot them, rather than tracking them.  For a change I did well on the low incomer, only dropping one out of the 8 targets there. I also shoot gun up, but lift my head off the stock and wait until they've come in a fair bit to drop it down and track them.

Felt I let myself down on that one and the stand with the mini crosser.  Thought I was in with the chance of a PB after a very good start (I even hit five off the platform).

I had a think about it on the drive home and realised I'm probably just trying too hard on some of the targets and that I shouldn't get so annoyed about having a bad stand now and again.  This time last year I would have been over-joyed with a 77.  It seems that the more I improve the better I keep expecting myself to do every time out.

Shot Highwaymans on Sunday Messy 82 verses a HG of 91 left me one away from the prizes. It was stiff but that is why we went. 

Shot Keghole on Monday again need to be less messy. Shot 106/120 for no where near the prizes. Very steady course 116 HG. 

I would have been satisfied at 110. 

Shot 87.33 over the last four shoots so pleased with that progress 86/93/82/88.33 

I was.  I didn't know it was you or I would have said hi.  I will do if I see you around again.

It was the incomer over the tree that accompanied the rabbit I lost the plot on.  Missed all three trying to spot shoot them, rather than tracking them.  For a change I did well on the low incomer, only dropping one out of the 8 targets there. I also shoot gun up, but lift my head off the stock and wait until they've come in a fair bit to drop it down and track them.

Felt I let myself down on that one and the stand with the mini crosser.  Thought I was in with the chance of a PB after a very good start (I even hit five off the platform).

I had a think about it on the drive home and realised I'm probably just trying too hard on some of the targets and that I shouldn't get so annoyed about having a bad stand now and again.  This time last year I would have been over-joyed with a 77.  It seems that the more I improve the better I keep expecting myself to do every time out.
I would have called that one over the trees on stand 11 more of a teal tbh. I pretty much shot it bottom right hand edge and got all 3. Strangely on that type of target I find myself coming back to the clay and shooting just before my barrels meet the clay i.e. swinging in reverse and reducing the lead. I know that’s not the “correct” way but I just seem to do it automatically and it works. The rabbit was pot luck as to what speed it came at and whether it jumped or not. Will said well done for straighting it but I thought I missed one of the rabbits that jumped and my scorecard confirmed I had. As for the mini – Richard Faulds once told me when I blanked a mini stand that very rarely at all does a mini need much if any lead. Since taking that on board I rarely miss them and got all the ones at Horne.

Yes it’s funny how your expectations change. Saturday I struggled to hit much at all – Sunday I was annoyed at myself for not hitting a new PB and breaking into the 90’s as it was there for the taking. The 6 lost on the platform I can accept as just couldn’t read the targets (the two I got were 2nd barrels on the 1st pink R-L). But the other 8 I dropped were just sloppy slowing the gun down by being too casual and making an adjustment to my mount on the stock for no reason.

I would have called that one over the trees on stand 11 more of a teal tbh. I pretty much shot it bottom right hand edge and got all 3. Strangely on that type of target I find myself coming back to the clay and shooting just before my barrels meet the clay i.e. swinging in reverse and reducing the lead. I know that’s not the “correct” way but I just seem to do it automatically and it works. The rabbit was pot luck as to what speed it came at and whether it jumped or not. Will said well done for straighting it but I thought I missed one of the rabbits that jumped and my scorecard confirmed I had. As for the mini – Richard Faulds once told me when I blanked a mini stand that very rarely at all does a mini need much if any lead. Since taking that on board I rarely miss them and got all the ones at Horne.

Yes it’s funny how your expectations change. Saturday I struggled to hit much at all – Sunday I was annoyed at myself for not hitting a new PB and breaking into the 90’s as it was there for the taking. The 6 lost on the platform I can accept as just couldn’t read the targets (the two I got were 2nd barrels on the 1st pink R-L). But the other 8 I dropped were just sloppy slowing the gun down by being too casual and making an adjustment to my mount on the stock for no reason.
No I meant well done for 5! Looked tricky. I just stung the back edge of the first one, then was glad to properly hit the other two, which were completely different speed. And you mean Sunday and Monday.. 

No I meant well done for 5! Looked tricky. I just stung the back edge of the first one, then was glad to properly hit the other two, which were completely different speed. And you mean Sunday and Monday.. 
Ah that makes sense. Struggle to hear with the CENS at Gatton as they pic up the background noise from the M25. Dont know why they insist on putting rabbits like that out at the top end of the course.

And yes you are quite right. 3 day weekend messed up my mental calendar.

The rabbit was OK, I missed one that jumped but hit the other two.  It was the other bird that did for me, I thought I was missing underneath, Will tells me I was high and left (stopping my gun).  I also hit two of the mini's but only one of the r-l's following it.  Too busy looking to see whether the mini broke or not and not getting back to my hold point, then moving the gun too slowly as I started in front of where I should have.

On the platform, I missed the first green one, hit the next two pairs and then got cocky and missed the last pair (behind both I'm pretty sure).  The green one looked like around double (maybe just over) the lead on the pink one.

Bit of a mixed weekend for me.

Battled to an 80 on a very good shoot at Widdington on Sunday, one bad stand with 1/8 and I genuinely can't remember the last time I did that.   

Southdown yesterday where I started well on the sportrap with 89 which was enough for 3rd in A.  Sporting again was a struggle; started really well then dropped off on 2 stands in the middle with 3/8 & 5/8, rest was quite tidy to finish on 84.

Good weekend for me - second in Class at Weston Wood on Sunday with an 83 after a bad morning at Valley View on a 73.  The ref on my second stand I think was replaced - sending second birds before the gun had gone off or sending them really late!!!  Messed up Tony and I.   Then Southdown Sunday, GLN Ladies Champ for Sportrap and Mr Hoskins GLN Champ and shot with George which always make me happy and on the Sporting an 84.  Missed my last two right down the bottom in the field simply because I mis-mounted, knew it but didn't re-mount and just called pull - miss miss.  Stupid error.  Very very hot and sticky and a real trial in that heat.  Had a double discharge which took me a bit by surprise and put me on edge for a couple of stands but soon settled down.  

Good weekend for me - second in Class at Weston Wood on Sunday with an 83 after a bad morning at Valley View on a 73.  The ref on my second stand I think was replaced - sending second birds before the gun had gone off or sending them really late!!!  Messed up Tony and I.   Then Southdown Sunday, GLN Ladies Champ for Sportrap and Mr Hoskins GLN Champ and shot with George which always make me happy and on the Sporting an 84.  Missed my last two right down the bottom in the field simply because I mis-mounted, knew it but didn't re-mount and just called pull - miss miss.  Stupid error.  Very very hot and sticky and a real trial in that heat.  Had a double discharge which took me a bit by surprise and put me on edge for a couple of stands but soon settled down.  
I started on that stand I believe and could not believe how many times the ref kept releasing the over head away bird as I raised the gun  :huh: , I kept turning round and looking at him to say I hadn't called pull and he would apologise and then do it again, for a split second I even thought he was doing it on purpose but he looked so uncomfortable and confused, eventually someone turned up and started to tell him he had to wait to hear "pull"  :D  a very odd experience I must say given the status of the shoot and its organisers; still easily one the best shoots I've been to in a long time. 

Purbeck yesterday for me. Unexpectedly the rain had cleared up, there was a gentle breeze, and the visibility was good. I was on the afternoon squad - the shoot was not well attended, and the six of us wandered off at the appointed time. This time I wimped out and took a buggy; it can be quite a hike these days at Purbeck.

There were only a very few targets that were really hard, everything else was pretty testing but not impossible. No rabbits.  I would classify the overall level of difficulty as "normal Purbeck", which isn't a bad thing, although a couple of the others (a good bunch) thought maybe it was a bit stiff, and one comment was that it was more like FITASC than ESP.

However stiff or soft it was I made a complete and utter hash of the whole thing. I couldn't judge lead, my hold points were poor, my focus pathetic, and I allowed my confidence to simply disappear. These are birds that are very close to those I can usually hit, as I've said nothing was impossible. 

Scores generally weren't high, Sean Stacey ended up on top with 86, second was a 71. Mind you that's out of 12 shooters.

I knoiw there are lessons there for me - one most definitely is to wear a hat, I forgot the dam' thing yesterday and glare can be an issue. I was having contact lens trouble, too, and I found my eye dominance wandering despite copious drenching with drops. Perhaps I'll just have to bite4 the bullet and get a pair of glasses where that particular problem just doesn't happen ever. But the biggest reason for yesterday's appalling performance lies firmly between my ears.

Did I enjoy it? Yes of course! I'll be back. 

Just had my arse kicked by the targets at Greenfields (again). My worse Registered score this year and nearly 17 points below my current average.

Out of 10 stands I would say there were four, maybe five that I had a chance of straighting if I'd been shooting well. I generally ended up with 7s and 8s on those. The rest had at least one target that was really tough or were sim pairs that made them trickier.

There was a left to right middy crosser off a low tower that was really edgy and going like the clappers. I didn't get anywhere near it. Also struggled on a quick quartering away battue (with hindsight think I was missing in front).

On a good day I think I could have added another 8 or 10 to my score but think I would have struggled to get closer than that to my average.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rabbit stand on my local shoot is usually my lowest scoring stand of the round. This morning I hit 6 out of 8 on my first round and 8 out 8 on my second round. I just need to remember what i did next week.

Just had my arse kicked by the targets at Greenfields (again). My worse Registered score this year and nearly 17 points below my current average.
I'd rate it as hard today  :blink:   can't readily think of any gimme's, made worse by making certain stands simmo when they'd have been hard enough on report. I was 5 down on two different stands today  :(  so not too devastated to end on 82 which was one behind AA lead score by a very good shooter when I left ! 

Also shot non reg Court Farm today which was nice enough, let 4 misses on a wind affected overhead pair of std/midi rob me of possible place. 

I'd rate it as hard today  :blink:   can't readily think of any gimme's, made worse by making certain stands simmo when they'd have been hard enough on report. I was 5 down on two different stands today  :(  so not too devastated to end on 82 which was one behind AA lead score by a very good shooter when I left ! 

Also shot non reg Court Farm today which was nice enough, let 4 misses on a wind affected overhead pair of std/midi rob me of possible place. 
The sim pair on Stand 1 was awful, amazed I managed a 4 to be honest.  The one on Stand 9 I was going ok on by taking the teal early and hit 5 out of the first 6.  Then I got a no-bird and instead of resetting just called again and ended up missing the pair.  Stupid of me.

There were at most 5 targets out of the 20 on display that I would have considered as relatively straightforward, but nothing was a given at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back