Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AGL today in perfect sunny weather. A nice course, but if I was the course setter I would have turned the two easiest stands into a couple of belters. Zero wind made it a tad easier than it looked perhaps. I shot in a very messy way indeed and still managed 92. 5 misses were total sloppiness. 
Typical on the day I can't make it. 97 in A!!!

Typical on the day I can't make it. 97 in A!!!
Yes I shot round with him. Only been shooting under three years, but very tidy and careful. Missed three of the longer targets I recall. It was a course that should have seen anybody being careful hit above their average. I missed 1 target on each of the first five stands! Stupid. Would have had HG if not being tatty to start with.

Bisley police shoot this morning. I think they probably thought it would be a bit steady by having lots of stuff that didn't need a big gap, but actually made it pretty fiddly. Far too much short window / throw it into a tree stuff to ever feel like a satisfying shoot IMO. A couple of good stands.

I hit 1 ex 6 on a stand where two sim midis were fired at a tree. Didn't even pull the second trigger twice. Maybe I need to learn to shoot quicker but I thought it was silly. I was in a strop after that so it cost me two more next stand.  Rescued an 87. Anybody else on here go?
Hi Will

I had a go with a mate but started too late after a rifle shoot in the morning by which time the world and his wife were there.  We were entrants 255 & 256 and I expect over 300 went through.  Queues everywhere and we ended up missing out two stands as we lost the will to wait for two huge queues.  I got 56 ex 86 which is 65%.  Stands were 3 or 4 pairs so about 15 stands in total.  Lucky with the weather which stayed dry after a night when the heavens had opened and nearly forgot to shut!  Managed to clear two stands and I was quite pleased with how I got on.  It is however a beautiful ground and I enjoy it for that.  Normally the shoot is on the Friday before our week of rifle shooting but this year was at the end and we wanted to get back to watch the match between GB and America which takes place at Bisley every 8 years and at Camp Perry in Ohio every 8 years four years from now for the next match.  USA won by about 10 points across a team of 10 shooting a Double Dewar so ex 800 per shooter.

Shot AGL today. First time I've done a Registered shoot there and only the second time I've visited. Was feeling nervous at the start and completely stuff the sim pair of crossers in the middle. Managed to retrieve a 74 by only dropping 1 clay on the last 4 stands.

Shot AGL today. First time I've done a Registered shoot there and only the second time I've visited. Was feeling nervous at the start and completely stuff the sim pair of crossers in the middle. Managed to retrieve a 74 by only dropping 1 clay on the last 4 stands.
Good to meet you today Bebo.  

Yes, I think we were following you on the last few stands.

I should have introduced ourselves, I have several of your gearboxes in the back of my cars!
I think I was following you. He was shooting so well! Do say hi next time.

Good to meet you today Bebo.  
And you Sian. Sorry I said hi and ran. Needed to get finished to get up to Sporting Targets. My haste was wasted, had a half hour wait on Stand 12 because of problems with the rabbit trap.

And you Sian. Sorry I said hi and ran. Needed to get finished to get up to Sporting Targets. My haste was wasted, had a half hour wait on Stand 12 because of problems with the rabbit trap.
Sorry you got caught up.  I shot stand 8 onwards on my own to try to get a grip.  I'm sure we'll see each other again.

Last of the Kent and Sussex Clubman shoots yesterday. Put in a 63 from 70, not enough to take the ladies class this year. By my reckoning, it's congratulations to my sister-in-law. Well done Jayne.

Valley View SE England championship today. A great course by Kevin Gray. Pretty warm in the sun.

I shot 10 stands fairly well and two really badly, including 2 ex 8 on stand 6. Just misread the orange crosser completely. ?

Finished on 88. There was a heap of decent names leading on 89 when I left, so really kicking myself. I think somebody will bang in a 94 though.. 

Update: Matt Hance and Julian Freeman 95. Very good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot Barbury, with Stew & Lord Pewsey, rocked  up at around 10 and some had already finished, tough was oft mentioned, our merry gang plodded round and yes it was a tad stiff, that said other than a longish l-r crosser (stand at skeet / compact range) that preceded a rabbit one hit everything I just made too many unforced errors in not hitting enough of them. How stiff? Well when we left out on his own was Stuart Rudling high gun on 89, and yes a fair few AAA & AAs had been through that said Richard Faulds had just rocked up so its "on" so to speak 

Reactions: Zea
Saturday was decent enough - had a nice relaxing round at my local club Pirbright. They had a non reg Compak comp on and I managed to win that.

Today was the complete opposite and I learnt two important lessons 1) shooting a comp after getting up at 5.30am to watch a fight does not help you 2) if you shoot terribly and one registered don't head off to another one as its unlikely to get better.

Went to Barbury for the first time. Quite a few cars there at 8.45 and a bit of a queue signing in (not long but taking forever) but I breezed around in 1hr. Unfortunately I could not hit a barn door and had a shocker finishing on 57. Should have taken that as a sign but being stubborn I headed off to Widdington which was fairly quiet - surely I could not shoot any worse? Had a few good stands with a couple of straights but again some shockers. Ended up in exactly the same score of 57 I think. One of those days I wished I had just stayed at home. 

Horne tomorrow ..

Reactions: Zea
Saturday was decent enough - had a nice relaxing round at my local club Pirbright. They had a non reg Compak comp on and I managed to win that.

Today was the complete opposite and I learnt two important lessons 1) shooting a comp after getting up at 5.30am to watch a fight does not help you 2) if you shoot terribly and one registered don't head off to another one as its unlikely to get better.

Went to Barbury for the first time. Quite a few cars there at 8.45 and a bit of a queue signing in (not long but taking forever) but I breezed around in 1hr. Unfortunately I could not hit a barn door and had a shocker finishing on 57. Should have taken that as a sign but being stubborn I headed off to Widdington which was fairly quiet - surely I could not shoot any worse? Had a few good stands with a couple of straights but again some shockers. Ended up in exactly the same score of 57 I think. One of those days I wished I had just stayed at home. 

Horne tomorrow ..
I hope you don't have another Heinz day Simon!

went to Hepworth Hall for the sporting and as usual, a great JD layout.  Nothing too hard but as usual, minced up all the longer targets and dropped the stupid ones right in front of my hand.  Dropped 13 targets on the first 2 stands, 3/10 and 4/10 which was unforgivable so done well to pull back and have an 8/8 and quite a few 7/8.  Great course, lovely weather, and great targets.  Looking forward to the supersporting in a few weeks time. 

Horne tomorrow ..
As before "tis tough" one was told, Stuart Rudling 89 high gun, think Swindon Samaritians have called in sll staff 

As before "tis tough" one was told, Stuart Rudling 89 high gun, think Swindon Samaritians have called in sll staff 
No doubt it was a tricky course and a lot of battues which is my new bogey bird - but no excuse to fall apart that badly. Just seen the scores and a lot of the top shots dropped a fair few on Stand one which was actually my best stand with a 9/10. Always some positive to take away but this sport is all about consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back