Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a high wind today which likely didn't help.. but there you go. Well shot Sian. That orange battue was 50 yards and never turned open today. Just an edgey blur thrown into a hillside. I didn't touch it either. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And another day shooting poorly. Owls  Lodge; wasn't their easiest course but all my fault today. And I have a Weston / Honesberie double tomorrow. Hope my weekend picks up!!!

If you see me, rub my shoulders. Or kick my backside. Your choice. 

Pilford for me today. A good layout, among good company. This 40-bird Sporting is a great favourite of mine, and today it coincided with the Dorset County DTL Championship. As I had never shot DTL before I thought I would have a go. Great fun, but a bit of a mistake to mingle two shoots simultaneously.

I did four stands of Sporting, one round of DTL, the other two Sporting stands, coffee & a bacon bap (always excellent at Pilford), then the second round of the DTL. Exhausting, but great fun. I have done more chokme swapping today than I have since I bought my gun 19 months ago!

shot the Barbury challenge today... :)

yes it was on the stiffer side but very well set and very well run and also you are shooting to win a gun ! so a bit of work to win a good prize for the AA shots is how it should be IMO.

I shot around with the the welsh wizard (shortlegs) and we had no hold ups and only a couple of no birds,yes there was a few big targets and the wind does affect them and it was today but thats sporting..

Well done barbury and all involved to make the shoot run smoothly. :good:   

Last edited by a moderator:
shot the Barbury challenge today... :)

yes it was on the stiffer side but very well set and very well run and also you are shooting to win a gun ! so a bit of work to win a good prize for the AA shots is how it should be IMO.

I shot around with the the welsh wizard (shortlegs) and we had no hold ups and only a couple of no birds,yes there was a few big targets and the wind does affect them and it was today but thats sporting..

Well done barbury and all involved to make the shoot run smoothly. :good:   
I have to concur poacher really enjoyed the day and agree well done Barbury well run , no break downs or delays all ran very smoothly 
shootclay_good.gif
 with a challenging mix of targets with something to test all classes  :thumbsup:

Took my gun to Simon Willmore at Doveridge today so had a little play while there and then went on to Lakeside owned by Simon Hadfield, a very nice place with fishing lakes, a good club house and although a compact ground, very enjoyable.  He has giant Skeet there which I enjoyed.  Stinking great fish in the lakes!

Shot the registered at Doveridge on the 30th while I was in the area on holiday.

Thought I'd see what the fuss was about in relation to Clive bramleys targets!

Ended up on a 60. I am C class but have been shooting nearer the 70's lately.

Was only a 12 stand shoot, apparently had issues with the planned 15.

Straighted my first stand and dropped 6 off the next 5 stands, thought I was on for a good day but boy was I wrong!

The targets made good use of the hilly terrain but there were some very difficult targets, 4 full targets below the feet, most grounds in the north can barely do 1 so I struggled on those aside from a bouncing 30 yard quartering rabbit which I powdered annoyingly.

Huge huge queue on stand 4 for some reason 30 shooters went before me I think. Lots complaining as it was a 5 pair stand and B bird was being missed a lot! Hit it on the final pair for a 6/10.

Overalls enjoyed the shoot, the ground and fellow shooters were all very friendly.

There were a half dozen very difficult targets though. A mini crosser, fast l-r quartering away below feet, rapid from behind with very short kill window being the worst for me.

Gives me something to work on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got home from shooting Horne with the OH. The usual mix of targets with lots of quartering stuff. Most of my misses where in front, which is usually the case for me there. Only one melt-down - rushing a SIM pair of low going away targets from on the platform. Retrieved it from total disaster by slowing myself down and hitting the last pair.

Gunsite today with my younger and much tubbier brother, did cause a few quizzical looks from scorers thankfully no mix ups, we have quite contrasting shooting styles but the same abllity to go pair/pair/ loss kill/ kill loss, ? We both managed to straight one stand an the same stand so no sibling in fighting there. As per Gunsite was busy, near 200 I think that said we started around 12 and didnt have any monster q's lots of regular faces and a most enjoyable shoot. Score, Bunter Moreing 64, Old Codger 74, high gun when we left Dorain Evans 98, in front of a stellar cast of AAA & AA gods.

Just got home from shooting Horne with the OH. The usual mix of targets with lots of quartering stuff. Most of my misses where in front, which is usually the case for me there. Only one melt-down - rushing a SIM pair of low going away targets from on the platform. Retrieved it from total disaster by slowing myself down and hitting the last pair.
Yeah that was a tricky stand. Think you had to take the faster pink on the right first and have a good hold point to get it quick. I hit first pair but messed up another for a 5. Was doing fairly well until I got to stand 9. Didnt look anything too taxing watching those in front but I had a complete brain fart and blanked it. A trailing pair stand is not where you want to find such a target as double dosage. Was amazed after that stand that I managed to finish on 77.

Yeah that was a tricky stand. Think you had to take the faster pink on the right first and have a good hold point to get it quick. I hit first pair but messed up another for a 5. Was doing fairly well until I got to stand 9. Didnt look anything too taxing watching those in front but I had a complete brain fart and blanked it. A trailing pair stand is not where you want to find such a target as double dosage. Was amazed after that stand that I managed to finish on 77.
Ouch. If that's the one just before you go into the woods at the top, it was one of my few straight stands today. You beat me on the platform, only managed a 3. Finished on 78. The OH, who thinks he isn't an A class shot, finished on 80.

Ouch. If that's the one just before you go into the woods at the top, it was one of my few straight stands today. You beat me on the platform, only managed a 3. Finished on 78. The OH, who thinks he isn't an A class shot, finished on 80.
Yep thats the one. It was one of those - is there any shot actually in these cartridge moments. I can only think I was overleading them which I have a habit of on edgy targets as they look faster to me. Rule #1 of building a decent score is do not have a horror stand.

Yep thats the one. It was one of those - is there any shot actually in these cartridge moments. I can only think I was overleading them which I have a habit of on edgy targets as they look faster to me. Rule #1 of building a decent score is do not have a horror stand.
It was quartering and didn't need a lot even if you took it fairly early.

Well after 27 years and 3 different 682 guns today I suffered the first proper breakdown,  :mellow:  the one before broke a lever spindle once which made the gun difficult to open and close but it finished the round, this time the 48th shot top barrel wouldn't fire so tried again thinking must be a light strike, no go again and it became apparent that gun wasn't cocking the trigger no matter what so had to shoot last 2 pairs on that stand with a friends CG mid height rib job resulting in 3x4 misses  :( , from then on and for the last five stands used another friends Zoli Kronos and managed 2 x 10, 2 x 8 and 1 x 7 ending up on 86. 

Lets hope it's a cheap fix.  :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back