Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We started just after 10.30 and took about 2 hrs 15 mins, one squad turned up late so they had to fit them in and we had quite a few no birds on the rabbit/teal/floppy bird from right.  (Stand 5 or 6 I think) The teal was just no birding all the time.  Stand 7 was also throwing no birds on first target (green low crosser) but all ref could do was apologise constantly.  Apart from that we went round and arrived at most stands with one squad just finishing and another just going on, so it was nice to see the targets instead of straight in.  A couple in our squad kept forgetting to put the 3 cartridges in too, so we had a laugh on the way round, taking the mick out of each other.  Weather was kind to us, and we shot the sport trap afterwards.  Struggled on the 2nd layout, but shot the others ok, was pleased with my 21 on the 3rd layout, especially as I missed the A target twice, once with both barrels!! I ended up high gun on our squad for that layout so was chuffed.  I did call myself a silly xxx but it's a learning curve, especially as Phil and I shot the sport trap with our autos!!! All good fun, good squad, met some people hadn't seen in ages and lovely refs, didn't hear too many moans.  Just wish they had more of these comps as it is good fun. 

We started just after 10.30 and took about 2 hrs 15 mins, one squad turned up late so they had to fit them in and we had quite a few no birds on the rabbit/teal/floppy bird from right.  (Stand 5 or 6 I think) The teal was just no birding all the time.  Stand 7 was also throwing no birds on first target (green low crosser) but all ref could do was apologise constantly.  Apart from that we went round and arrived at most stands with one squad just finishing and another just going on, so it was nice to see the targets instead of straight in.  A couple in our squad kept forgetting to put the 3 cartridges in too, so we had a laugh on the way round, taking the mick out of each other.  Weather was kind to us, and we shot the sport trap afterwards.  Struggled on the 2nd layout, but shot the others ok, was pleased with my 21 on the 3rd layout, especially as I missed the A target twice, once with both barrels!! I ended up high gun on our squad for that layout so was chuffed.  I did call myself a silly xxx but it's a learning curve, especially as Phil and I shot the sport trap with our autos!!! All good fun, good squad, met some people hadn't seen in ages and lovely refs, didn't hear too many moans.  Just wish they had more of these comps as it is good fun. 
Stand 7 doing the same for us,the old boy who is usually wandering around there went and had a look announced that the clays looked ok and left?

We started 10.20 and on arriving at stand 1 there were 3 or 4 squads waiting but seemed incomplete we were to as someone didn't turn up till stand 6

I was I the first squad out at Southdown for the Benelli Sp'Auto shoot.

Everything was going great until a motor seized in the teal trap on stand 7 I think (1/4 in rabbit, teal, close floppy thing)

So this meant a full trap change which was done as quick as possible, but still took best part of an hour to resolve.

Had a few no birds but probably where the traps were filled right up as we were first squad out.

Was a well set course, not too hard but plenty there to catch you out!

Took about 3 hours to shoot for us but enjoyed every minute

An England team vet I think you will find Phillip. Come on , get it right, a lot of people are relying on you tomorrow !!
How times have changed eh  ?   If you are an England team shooter and you take ill, it's 2 Bob Martins and get on with it.  Now if you were an England footballer.......................................????

Was at Southdown yesterday for the Benelli auto comp. It was my first ever comp and I found some of the presentations quite challenging.  My squad was very friendly and despite some delays it was quite enjoyable.   I learnt a lot and discovered some new weaknesses, also the first time I have had 3 targets to contend with. Enjoyed the experience and will probably enter a few more in due course. 

I fancy having a go at one of these semi auto shoots  B)  just hope everyone picked up their empties.  :lol:

Off for a few days away in our motorhome, with a few visits to shooting grounds planned.  Today was Kibworth.  I really like this ground, shame it isn't closer to home.  Interesting targets, with the one's off the high bank a challenge.  Managed 73 from 100.  Sporting Targets tomorrow and probably Northampton on Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off for a few days away in our motorhome, with a few visits to shooting grounds planned.  Today was Kibworth.  I really like this ground, shame it isn't closer to home.  Interesting targets, with the one's off the high bank a challenge.  Managed 73 from 100.  Sporting Targets tomorrow and probably Northampton on Thursday.
There is a good shoot at Honesberie , near Southam, I was going there on sunday, but family, y`know,  :angel: .

There is a good shoot at Honesberie , near Southam, I was going there on sunday, but family, y`know,  :angel: .
We're heading back south on Friday.  Pretty sure Honesberie don't do practice during the week or I'd be trying it out.

We're heading back south on Friday.  Pretty sure Honesberie don't do practice during the week or I'd be trying it out.
Don't know your movements, but EJC open for practice anytime, but book. Or Wednesday from 4pm is STR for £7 a go, no booking needed. 

We're up near Market Harborough so EJC not really that close.  Might swing by AGL on Friday on the way past.  I think it's their Registered this week? I'll be up at EJC on the 10th June for National Ladies Shooting Day, followed by a caddied round in the afternoon.

We're up near Market Harborough so EJC not really that close.  Might swing by AGL on Friday on the way past.  I think it's their Registered this week? I'll be up at EJC on the 10th June for National Ladies Shooting Day, followed by a caddied round in the afternoon.
It is AGL reg this Friday x

Honesberie have a fantastic shooting school that does practice and lessons during the week. Only thing to note is the school is limited to 21gm fibre cartridges. If you haven't got any you can buy them there. 

Their registered shoots are held at a sister ground just a couple miles away where you can use competition loads (28gm etc). 

Well worth a trip ?

Shame I'm there Sunday
Looking forward to seeing you shooting in the series final again ?

Honesberie have a fantastic shooting school that does practice and lessons during the week. Only thing to note is the school is limited to 21gm fibre cartridges. If you haven't got any you can buy them there. 

Their registered shoots are held at a sister ground just a couple miles away where you can use competition loads (28gm etc). 

Well worth a trip ?

Looking forward to seeing you shooting in the series final again ?
Not with the shooting ability I seem to be displaying the last few months although I am hoping to snap out of it.  Would be nice to be in it for the third time.

Me again,  Barby Sporting is about 2miles from rugby. they shoot on Wednesday, 30 clay, re-entry. was £8.  Also a pleasant spot, with a full-on restaurant and bar, tennis and so on, very friendly.

http://www.barbysporting.com/Pages/default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back