Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Throckmorton again. Worse than last time but this weeks excuse is a scratched eye that is out of focus  :wacko:

I was missing some really easy targets that I normally don't struggle with. I did manage to straight one stand though and it was the only stand where I didn't have a queue behind me watching, not sure if it was an easy stand or no pressure.

I dragged my dad along to press and mark for me and he seemed to enjoy it, his eyesight isn't great though, so I could probably add anther 7 or 8 to my score that he didn't see!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot 50 birds at Ashcombe with Brand New on Saturday, first round of sporting for me and first time with my own gun. Shot blowfully, but had a great time. 

(Pretty sure I know where I was going wrong though) 

I have a had a good couple of days. 

I feel now after a shakey start with the Parcours (including my worst ever score) that I feel confident with the gun. 

I shot 89 at AGL at their Registered, 

Then an 87 at Northampton on Sunday. 

Both scores placing me 3rd in A class.

Looking forward to improving further

Weston wood FSP today. Lovely weather. A compact feel to much of it, but a different type of FSP to most shoots. We all enjoyed it for sure. Knackered now.. so much concentration needed for a technical course with a lot of fast targets. As usual dropped some soppy ones, but not unhappy with 84 given I rarely shoot FSP and gun-down is not my usual art. Great squad and nice to bump into Matt, our SC proprietor, it's been a while.

Good to see you as well, Will.  Has been a while.

First time out with the gun for six months for me - I had to think about which way round the wooden end should go, and my timing was cock - finished with less than 60 - which is poor, but not unexpected. 

Good course, some tricky targets but some lovely weather, and a great squad made the day.   Some pics on my FB if you are connected on there.

The mid-week FITASC is my absolute favourite shoot - it feels like a cheeky holiday in the middle of the week and there are usually a lot of smiles around the place. 

Well done @Steve Lovatt for a nice day out at the Wood. 

Coleys today, watched MrFaulds straight his last three stands to then be told it was 100 straight on the day, man is a shooting God, that said there was a fair few strong performances today, in our merry gang Stew Keen 93 but the shoot of the day went to young Zea, 74 a PB and the merry jig she danced at end was joy itself, lovely to see, too many miserys at a lot of grounds nice to see a happy one 

the shoot of the day went to young Zea, 74 a PB and the merry jig she danced at end was joy itself, lovely to see, too many miserys at a lot of grounds nice to see a happy one 
Thank you Rich, I'm afraid I just couldn't contain my excitement! ? Taken a fair while for me to get a score with a 7 in front of it; much deliberation and self examination having occurred prior to today! Had a cracking day with our squad at Coley's again. And apologies to anyone who did actually witness my best 'Easter bunny' impression at the end of the day! ?

Oh nearly but not forgotten, two others had PB's yesterday at Coleys, the young Lauren Goodman (of R & T Faulds / Owls Lodge fame) and Nick "Wilf" Selby both had deserved grins as big as the most Cheshire of Cheshire Cats, even this old grumpy codger was moved by the joy they were showing, sometimes when out I forget for me and most probably the vast majority of its a hobby, albeit very serious one for all of us at time, a hobby away from our normal routines and enjoyment often gets lost, saw some elation on faces that was warming.

Oh nearly but not forgotten, two others had PB's yesterday at Coleys, the young Lauren Goodman (of R & T Faulds / Owls Lodge fame) and Nick "Wilf" Selby both had deserved grins as big as the most Cheshire of Cheshire Cats, even this old grumpy codger was moved by the joy they were showing, sometimes when out I forget for me and most probably the vast majority of its a hobby, albeit very serious one for all of us at time, a hobby away from our normal routines and enjoyment often gets lost, saw some elation on faces that was warming.
cheers Rich. It's a great feeling when it goes well. 

Shot a 91 at Churchills Registered yesterday. 

Scores going in the right direction.

Still more control needed on easily straightable stands. 
Great score. I could do with some of that control as the only stand I managed to straight was the grouse butt (stand 5 I think). Very scrappy round and seemed to be missing a lot of stuff in front. Finished on a 75. Cracking weather though. Unfortunately I can’t make the Premier League shoot tomorrow as an unthoughtful friend decided to book their wedding for the same day :(

Great score. I could do with some of that control as the only stand I managed to straight was the grouse butt (stand 5 I think). Very scrappy round and seemed to be missing a lot of stuff in front. Finished on a 75. Cracking weather though. Unfortunately I can’t make the Premier League shoot tomorrow as an unthoughtful friend decided to book their wedding for the same day :(
Well shot. 

Dropped two on five, last two going away birds after starting pair dead pair dead. 

Hence my need for control, shot over the top of the blaze!! 

I've had a busy week so far. 

Saturday: lesson and then Westfield for the English selection shoot. Put in a 66/100 on a testing course. That was enough for 3rd place in C.

Sunday: Longridge for a 100 sporting. Always an enjoyable visit down there and I put in a respectable 77/100. Sadly, not enough for a placing! 

Tuesday: trip down to the Essex Masters where I shot 70/100 on the black course and then 75/100 on the Red course. About 15 clays light from a placing sadly.

Wednesday: Ian Coleys Summer Series. Managed to really get in the zone and put in an 84/100 which meant a class win. Very pleased with my shooting there.

Saturday (today): Premier League at EJ Churchill. Fantastic ground and a really well run event. I managed to put in 80/100 which looked ok when I left but still waiting for the scores to come out.

Sunday (tomorrow): Grange Farm. Hoping for another score with an 8 at the start!

I've had three great days of shooting, all in fantastic weather. 

Started at EJ Churchill's on Thursday with their monthly registered where I shot a steady 87.  No targets that needed a huge amount of lead but a good mix of tricky angles.

Then from there a drive up to Bedford for an overnight stay before a fantastic coaching session with Ed Solomons on Friday.  

Yesterday was a return to Churchill's for the Premier League shoot where I shot another steady 85 but I was a bit disappointed in some stuff I let go.  Worse stand was the very close R-L with the edgy going away rabbit; missed 5 on there, including all the rabbits.  

I've had three great days of shooting, all in fantastic weather. 

Started at EJ Churchill's on Thursday with their monthly registered where I shot a steady 87.  No targets that needed a huge amount of lead but a good mix of tricky angles.

Then from there a drive up to Bedford for an overnight stay before a fantastic coaching session with Ed Solomons on Friday.  

Yesterday was a return to Churchill's for the Premier League shoot where I shot another steady 85 but I was a bit disappointed in some stuff I let go.  Worse stand was the very close R-L with the edgy going away rabbit; missed 5 on there, including all the rabbits.  
Wan't just me that couldn't get on that rabbit then.  I'm off to see Ed on Wednesday so I may add that to the list of things to practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back