Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No but I will next time I am at the Ground I hope he don't show his thieving face at the ground again.

I cannot believe the thieving git who tried to pinch my £250 leather gun case today at Churchills my case was on top of my bag and just before I was about to go on the stand  I looked round and it wasn't there I shouted where's my gun slip the Thieving git must have heard as he came back and said something like I made a mistake he made no mistake he know exactly what he was doing as all he had was just a cheap canvas slip and that was worth about £5 That was left on the fence rail near my bag I told him to piss off thieving bastard I should had took a picture of him so beware if you see a guy with a pink/ reddish schoffel sleeveless  sheel jacket on watch your stuff as he a thieving git.
Yes sorry about that it was a genuine mistake. 

And my gun didn't fit in it.

Don't believe you I think you know what was was doing.

Don't believe you I think you know what you was doing

Weston Everglades was good today. A slightly low turnout as the weather looked bad, but was actually ok when I went at 11.30. There had been enough rain overnight that I was more than a bit worried about being attacked by alligators on the way round. Steve Lovatt had swapped to a hovercraft for his trap filling run.

Targets were a tad stiffer than some of the recent shoots I thought. Very good and deceptive in places. I absolutely died on two stands dropping 9! So despite a reasonable performance elsewhere I was never going to feature highly.. enjoyed it.

Weston Everglades was good today. A slightly low turnout as the weather looked bad, but was actually ok when I went at 11.30. There had been enough rain overnight that I was more than a bit worried about being attacked by alligators on the way round. Steve Lovatt had swapped to a hovercraft for his trap filling run.

Targets were a tad stiffer than some of the recent shoots I thought. Very good and deceptive in places. I absolutely died on two stands dropping 9! So despite a reasonable performance elsewhere I was never going to feature highly.. enjoyed it.
Tony and I on our scary journey up north to Garlands and Kegworth wondered wether you would venture out.    The weather on the way up was atrocious and some drivers needed a kick in the nuts but there was only actually a spit of rain now and then during shooting.  Didn't shoot too well either of us but enjoyed both shoots.

Did a good FSP at Windrush today. Reminded my self just how much gun-down affects me on quicker closer stuff, missing a good few of those. Dragged me back to 83, but hit most of the long stuff. Enjoyed it, despite getting a large bit of clay in the ribs, then later, another bit on my head, cutting me through my cap. I was just about to step into the hoop as well! Seeing a few stars for a moment..

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to get to Purbeck on Wednesday for one of their FITASC shoots which is the first 100 bird competition I've done for a long time as my wife has had a succession of medical problems, operations, tests, scans, various endoscopies and finally had her gall bladder removed over the last 8 months.

I shot in a squad of 5 with Shaun Stacey and his daughter Emma and Julian and Guy from the gun shop in Chard and myself.

I was last to shoot the first stand and could see that I was in experienced and very capable company!  Shaun is a GB sporting shooter who ended up 2nd on the day with 92 with Emma in fourth and top lady with 89.

I think gained a false sense of my capabilities with shooting 20 on the first layout with which I was delighted!

We then moved out into the woods and the clays got much more difficult.  I managed 11 on the 2nd layout, 12 on the next and 13 on the last to give me 56 total and tail end charlie by 6 clays for the shoot.  It was a great day out and Shaun was giving me tips as my feet were all over the place and hold position was wrong in a lot of cases with me starting the gun too far back and throwing it after the clay!  You also have to be very disciplined to remember all the various clays and their flight paths with up to 6 traps on a stand.  Not the same as shooting 5 on report pairs!

Perhaps FITASC is too advanced for me yet but I enjoy squad system and the relaxed shoot with no queuing and lunch was good with roast pork with all the trimmings followed by a nice choice of puds and I had apple crumble and custard.  Cost for the entry including lunch was £60.

Did a good FSP at Windrush today. Reminded my self just how much gun-down affects me on quicker closer stuff, missing a good few of those. Dragged me back to 83, but hit most of the long stuff. Enjoyed it, despite getting a large bit of clay in the ribs, then later, another bit on my head, cutting me through my cap. I was just about to step into the hoop as well! Seeing a few stars for a moment..
Get checked out

Was debating whether to shoot Owls today as thought it would be busy with the county champs. But weather forecast was good so headed down early doors. Managed to get around in 2hrs and that was with a big queue on stand 8 that I shot last. Was happy to finish on 86. Dropped 4 on stands 4 and 10 - the latter I knew I needed to move my feet for the 2nd bird but ignored my own advice until the 3rd pair.

Finally met Hammy face to face as well.

Was debating whether to shoot Owls today as thought it would be busy with the county champs. But weather forecast was good so headed down early doors. Managed to get around in 2hrs and that was with a big queue on stand 8 that I shot last. Was happy to finish on 86. Dropped 4 on stands 4 and 10 - the latter I knew I needed to move my feet for the 2nd bird but ignored my own advice until the 3rd pair.

Finally met Hammy face to face as well.
Well shot! I had a few awful stands, including 10 which looked ok I thought. You beat me mate!

Well shot! I had a few awful stands, including 10 which looked ok I thought. You beat me mate!
Thanks. Saw you in the background around stands 5-6 and would have said hello but you were heading back to the lodge and I was going up top. 10 was most annoying as once I moved my feet I hit them all - typical it was a 5 pair stand. Missed one of the rabbits on 7 due to a double jump ?

Nice to see some of you there today, 260 miles return journey but enjoyed it very much, no disaster stands ended on 89 but just a thought about that split incomer pair which I feel is just a tad unfair on the elderly. I watched one old boy refuse to tackle the second bird and although I managed to straight it I could see why as each pair was giving me noticeable back strain on the second bird. 

Nice to see some of you there today, 260 miles return journey but enjoyed it very much, no disaster stands ended on 89 but just a thought about that split incomer pair which I feel is just a tad unfair on the elderly. I watched one old boy refuse to tackle the second bird and although I managed to straight it I could see why as each pair was giving me noticeable back strain on the second bird. 
I thought it looked ok then dropped 5 on it! Would have hit your 89 if not.. anyway, like me you were disadvantaged by not practicing there on Thursday. Ooo ouch.. I'm off out now..

I did Gatton Bottom today. I think it was as tricky as I've seen it there.. pretty average performance from me. Bumped into Hamid half way round.

Notable moment was watching Ricky Draper shoot his last stand with only three losses on the card. He missed another one, I said "shame still a great card" he said "yes just took my face off the gun" and he wandered off. A minute later he was back because the scorer had given him a straight and he wanted the miss recorded. Great sportsmanship as this likely cost him High Gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back