Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha. Sorry Doug. My vest has my name on but I'm not wearing it in the winter. Churchills cap always on, but that's not unusual.. I'll tap you on the shoulder if I see you.

Four Counties was my bogey ground for years whereas it's where I'm suddenly doing best these days! I think it must be partly that it's not as tough as it used to be and partly that I've sussed that the stuff out over the open fields never needs as much lead as I thought. I think a 94 was leading at 2pm and RF was still out there, hopefully suffering a massive hangover. 

There were two tough stands today, the sim battue and crosser, plus the one at far end of car park with the long l-r and fast high away sim pair. Managed 9/10 on both of those which I was happy with. Where I tossed it away was stand three, the sim high away pair in the woods. I hit 2 out of first six! Then just took a simpler approach to last pair and smashed them, still 4 away on a stand that should not have hurt so badly. 

Yes a good enjoyable round at 4C these days for sure.
I've been slightly jaded as Westfield is my local shoot. I find I do the exact same thing on the open fields and have to keep winding the lead back.

I managed a 9/10 on the simo at the end of the car park as it was like a normal Westfield presentation! 

The battue and crosser over the field (stand 5 I think?) made my card look like a Christmas card! OHOHOHOHOHOH

I went to Owls Lodge today. Lovely weather, good course, nothing nasty but I felt so tired for some reason and could not find any form. Nothing made sense. Dreadful score. 

Went to Four Counties for their 50 ESP on the way home now feeling more awake and did 47. (HG was 48). Wasn't easy either. Ho hum.. hopefully I remain awake for College Farm tomorrow. 

Southdown for me today.  Straighted the first two stands did OK on the third and then the wheels fell off.  Was missing stuff I shouldn't have been. Feeling a bit disappointed in myself.

Another lesson learnt today; 300 registered targets in a day is too many.

Started off at Horne with an ordinary 83, then on to Southdown for the sportrap first for an 80 then I shot the sporting course quite well for an 85.  

It's left me feeling mentally drained, I should have just gone to Southdown and shot both comps there instead of rushing around.

Another lesson learnt today; 300 registered targets in a day is too many.

Started off at Horne with an ordinary 83, then on to Southdown for the sportrap first for an 80 then I shot the sporting course quite well for an 85.  

It's left me feeling mentally drained, I should have just gone to Southdown and shot both comps there instead of rushing around.

Quality beats quantity any day

College Farm today. Such a different and enjoyable venue. Too many silly misses to be in the money, but a great day out. 

Westfield is on tomorrow, but it's a bit of a trek and fog looks a factor.. hmm.. could be a day off. 

College Farm today. Such a different and enjoyable venue. Too many silly misses to be in the money, but a great day out. 

Westfield is on tomorrow, but it's a bit of a trek and fog looks a factor.. hmm.. could be a day off. 
Around the Clays in 80 Days :)

I went to Owls Lodge today. Lovely weather, good course, nothing nasty but I felt so tired for some reason and could not find any form. Nothing made sense. Dreadful score. 

Went to Four Counties for their 50 ESP on the way home now feeling more awake and did 47. (HG was 48). Wasn't easy either. Ho hum.. hopefully I remain awake for College Farm tomorrow. 
I went the opposite way around. Started at Four Counties to finish on 41/50 which included straighting the car park stand and a couple others. 

Then on to Owls for a 79/100 which I was pretty pleased with as it put me third in C.

Well done Windrush today. Safe to say it wasn't the best setup shoot so won't be returning anytime soon.

Not enough refs so a few  were having to cover 2 stands. 4 of the stands had 4 traps so you shot 2 stands on one stand. All 10 birds. So on off on off. What was a pain for people when they thought you had finished and you started again. And then because of that people were waiting for over 15 mins for a ref to turn up at the stand.

Not enough refs so a few  were having to cover 2 stands. 4 of the stands had 4 traps so you shot 2 stands on one stand. All 10 birds. So on off on off. What was a pain for people when they thought you had finished and you started again. And then because of that people were waiting for over 15 mins for a ref to turn up at the stand.
Welcome to my world!!! We get Scottish sporting shoots like that too often, most of our shoots are 10 x 10...Windrush wasn't that busy, you should try it when 110+ turn up to shoot 10 x 10 with 9 refs and a plague of breakdowns and all for £45 take it or leave it because that's the only registered shoot on in the country that week!!!

Welcome to my world!!! We get Scottish sporting shoots like that too often, most of our shoots are 10 x 10...Windrush wasn't that busy, you should try it when 110+ turn up to shoot 10 x 10 with 9 refs and a plague of breakdowns and all for £45 take it or leave it because that's the only registered shoot on in the country that week!!!
We said the same. If it was busy they would of been screwed. 

Been in a slight slump lately, so went back to my old gun today at Horne. The idea was merely to make me pay attention (as something was different). Not a tough shoot at all, but all that edgey "no-lead" stuff does actually need great focus. An amount of daft misses, but otherwise I felt fairly effective. Just goes to show that "new gun syndrome" is real. It just makes you think carefully about what you are doing. So, perhaps I will swap between my guns every ten shoots, just to keep my brain working..

I wouldn't recommend this if you have two very different guns, but mine are just different enough to jolt my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
totally agree will, I used to swap between the DT10 & the DT10eell whenever I was struggling and I found exactly same as you, different enough to make you know it but not enough that your lost. Probably in the head of course .....but.

totally agree will, I used to swap between the DT10 & the DT10eell whenever I was struggling and I found exactly same as you, different enough to make you know it but not enough that your lost. Probably in the head of course .....but.
Oh.. this is ALL in the head. That's the point of it for me.

Greenfields today for me.  Learnt a useful lesson.  Make sure you check that it's your card being scored.  Looked at the end and found they'd put my score on my sister-in-laws card and hers on mine on one stand.  Fortunately only one target lost for me as a result and she's not registered so doesn't matter, but annoying nonetheless.

Am on track with my 2017 aim to do more registered shoots than last year.  Three in the last two weeks.

You only need one good episode of card chaos to focus the mind for the future. I always look and check it's my card before shooting any stand. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back