Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horne for me and ended up shooting round with a couple of Will H’s mates – Steve & Tony. I started off ok but stand 5 with the pink L-R cross I smoked the first 2 pairs then blanked the last two. Stand 7 simo pair I couldn’t make my mind up which to take first and by the time I did I had dropped 5 of 10. And then the jumping lottery rabbit on stand 12 cost me 3. Finished on an 82 which I was happy with – still not enough to even place in C Class (87 1st and 83 2nd).

Drive home was a pain on the M25 clockwise. I swear they stick those lower speed limits and queue warning signs on just to slow traffic down as not one junction I drove past was their queuing on the slip lane.

Shot poorly at Greenfields then onto Dartford 100 all round which was affected by the breakdown of the ABT layout so turned into a slightly different but still enjoyable format of 25 Sk 25 Tr 25 ESP and 25 Compak - straighted the slightly soft Compak, a good 23 on the sporting but really let the guard down on Skeet and Trap missing 4 on each  :lol:  missed the pair on stand 1 for crying out, just can't seem to keep a serious face on with these uber close targets, I've always struggled with not turning my head away from the shrapnel as I shoot the incomer on 1 and 7,  4 away on Trap was also unforgivable, still managed joint 6th though so a good day. 

The hound decided to mangle her dew claw so it was a trip to the vets rather than any shooting today! Oh well. 

Hot shooting in the forest at Weston Wood today. Lot of bodies about (some seriously impressive CPSA competitors, and presumably others getting some last-minute practice ahead of the Glorious Twelfth), with some demanding, challenging birds. Took hits from four clays at various points around the course (including one to the bridge of my nose, that hurt like a son of a...): can it be that the pigeons are after revenge?

I would like to know where on the course you allegedly got clay on you as apart from the driven on stand 7 there were no clays thrown anywhere near to the walkways .

I would like to know where on the course you allegedly got clay on you as apart from the driven on stand 7 there were no clays thrown anywhere near to the walkways .

Hot shooting in the forest at Weston Wood today. Lot of bodies about (some seriously impressive CPSA competitors, and presumably others getting some last-minute practice ahead of the Glorious Twelfth), with some demanding, challenging birds. Took hits from four clays at various points around the course (including one to the bridge of my nose, that hurt like a son of a...): can it be that the pigeons are after revenge?
In the last 18 months I have shot at every shoot held at Weston Wood apart from one. I have never been or seen anyone else hit by a clay at that ground on any of the occasions I have shot their. So if you have been hit four times in one shoot, you must have been very very unlucky.

Shot Bisley’s round of the Premier League. Well spread over 15 stands. Free ice cold water dished out due to no drinks out on the course (they learnt from previous events). Started early and on had to properly queue on about 3 or 4 of them. Good quality refs. Not one stoppage. A fairly mild course – nothing extreme but with ten 3 pair stands it meant you had to find the targets quickly. Missed out on a registered PB by dropping 4 on the last stand. And generally dropped too many silly last birds / pairs but was happy to hit 2 of the distant L-R crossers on stand 13. Finished on an 81 which I expect was a chunk off the pace even in C class.

In the last 18 months I have shot at every shoot held at Weston Wood apart from one. I have never been or seen anyone else hit by a clay at that ground on any of the occasions I have shot their. So if you have been hit four times in one shoot, you must have been very very unlucky.
You are right  Paul  it is a rare thing but yesterday was extremely windy (I was glad of that) so it is possible little bits of clay got blown off course.  I think at the end of the day you just have to be aware that it can happen however well a course setter sets the targets not to drop onto shooters and Mr L is very safety conscious.  Its part and parcel of shooting, awareness is the key.  Same with shot, it sometimes gets blown into areas that you would not expect it, again it happens.  Can't be 100% safe all the time with these things unless of course we stay at home.

A good rule of thumb is to look around where you are standing waiting, in the stand, on paths, etc for broken of unbroken clays on the ground especially on driven incomer type stands, and don't stand there. In the cage shooting if broken clays are coming at you don't stay in there and report it as unsafe to the ref. Grouse butts at a clay ground can be very dangerous, at one very local ground I refused to shoot at a fast low straight at me target when I was showered in broken clay.

Three of them were nothing more than smallish shards on the headgear: like you say, wind was probably the factor in all of those. It's a great ground, and I can't fault the layout at all for my being underneath some flypaths on what seemed like quite a busy morning.

As to the fourth, well I've only myself to blame, to be honest: I had my hat on back to front at the time, and a stray piece from the bloke in front's clay caught me square on the bridge of the nose while waiting at Stand 6. My Oakleys took the rest, without a scratch. There were a lot of us milling about, so in future I think I'll wait a bit further back until called!

I am quite a large target, to be fair: and as for luck, well let's just say that the shooting gods weren't exactly on my side.

Two were at stand 7 (high driven), and one was just as I was leaving the raised walkway area (I'm sorry, I don't remember the number of the stand).

Last edited by a moderator:
Headed over to Holland for the Masters of Clays (its fitasc but they can't call it that)

Enjoyed it a lot, shooting steel for the First time.

Hull Sovereign Steel 7s did the trick on everything bar 28 of the 200 but that wasn't the shells fault. 

Managed my first 25/25 straight and top 20 overall from 250 shooters  ending on 172/200

http://www.mastersofclays.nl/

No comps this weekend but did head over to Royal Berks Shooting School to have a go on their grouse layout. £49 for 100 birds or £45 each if 2 or more shooting. 4 practice sporting stands of 5 pairs each that were fairly basic but a good warm up for the grouse sequence which is 30 birds (you get two attempts). It was pretty hectic with some fast birds that were buzzing through the air due to the velocity. Your caddy loads for you. I was pretty happy to hit 21 on my first go but didn’t improve on my 2nd as hit 20 – probably as I was tiring. The top score so far is 25. In the sequence you get 2 x 4 bird covy’s where you have to hit any 2 of the 4. Looks easy as so close together but hard to pick two and stick with them. Our caddy Steve Turner was really good and very informative – was nice not to feel rushed. 3 of us went around in just under 2 hours and a lot of that was chatting.

If you fancy something different then definitely worth a visit and not a bad price for the venue

I shot two local 100 sporting's Sunday and was very consistent 82 at both spot on my average. Neither were gimme shoots but a local junior shot 98 at one and 97 at the other. The standard of sporting shooting is amazing.

I shot two local 100 sporting's Sunday and was very consistent 82 at both spot on my average. Neither were gimme shoots but a local junior shot 98 at one and 97 at the other. The standard of sporting shooting is amazing.
And some hater is bound to say must have been easy. They don't seem to want to give credit. 

I've had four pretty good days shooting.

Thursday was at Owls Lodge where I shot a tidy 88 for which earned me a class win.

Friday started at NCSC with some Olympic trap (that's a tough discipline, I reckon I hit less than half of the 25 targets, but happy to have given it a go) a round of DTL then a couple of rounds of skeet.

Saturday I shot the clubman at Wallers Ash near Winchester, this was more for a catch up with some friends who I hadn't seen in a while plus I hadn't shot there in years.  This turned out to be a pretty tricky shoot with not much distance but some awkward angles and some edgy targets made me really concentrate.  Finished on 62, 2 of the misses were silly and four were of one massive teal which seems to be a bit of a bogey target for me.

Went to Barrow Heath today, brilliant course set by Phil Moss which I really enjoyed, and I was happy to straight some of the stands which had the bigger targets on.  Shot a reasonable 83, lost a few in the wind but that's the same for everyone.  2 of the stands with the sim-pairs did me with 4/8 and 5/10 where I was trying to attack them too much.  Two very nice sportrap layouts 2, the second one had some great targets especially.

I had a really good day at Greenfields 90 birder (one trapper short) with only 2 birds down, GD and Jamie Attwood 3 each  :) , then onto a proper old school charity 60 birder at a place called Pluckley, missed 4 tough Teal and 1 away on a stand with 10 foot high stilts instead of an actual stand which meant I couldn't address properly  :mellow: , shot a very good 9 on the Pool. 

I had forgotten how, ehem, interesting casual shooters gun handling is with their side by sides  :D , ready to duck I was. 

I had a really good day at Greenfields 90 birder (one trapper short) with only 2 birds down, GD and Jamie Attwood 3 each  :) , then onto a proper old school charity 60 birder at a place called Pluckley, missed 4 tough Teal and 1 away on a stand with 10 foot high stilts instead of an actual stand which meant I couldn't address properly  :mellow: , shot a very good 9 on the Pool. 

I had forgotten how, ehem, interesting casual shooters gun handling is with their side by sides  :D , ready to duck I was. 
Had it again today, clown in front in the queue today, opens up his slip, pulls out  his gun unbroken, bends over with the gun pointing straight back towards me and my wife. The air turned blue by me and he was apologetic, but one day that could be to late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back