Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shot orston today good round of clays , just managed to beat the weather a pb for me today of a 86/100 and was leading b class as i left .i was using soveriegn parcours ( not many chippy kills with them ) on the odd close stuff i used the laylvale  power gold fibre ( i know dont swap an change but wanted to try them ) another good cartridge good breaks so 2 sloppy misses on stand 13 on my last pair but hey ho on a bit off a. High today :) 

Shot orston today good round of clays , just managed to beat the weather a pb for me today of a 86/100 and was leading b class as i left .i was using soveriegn parcours ( not many chippy kills with them ) on the odd close stuff i used the laylvale  power gold fibre ( i know dont swap an change but wanted to try them ) another good cartridge good breaks so 2 sloppy misses on stand 13 on my last pair but hey ho on a bit off a. High today :) 
 86 That's an excellent score for that shoot, I thought I shot pretty well for 79 in A. The shoot itself was brilliant, great variety of targets! I also had 4 sloppy misses on stand 13, a sim pair, standard and midi going away overhead. I think there was something a bit more tricky about it than it looked.

Had a look at results this morning won my class :) the top 2 stands were tricky i thought dropped 1 on each but as coming of the stands i thought to my self am happy dropping 2 on them as i think they were scorecard killers .. ( heres a picture of my card bad qaulity ) 

image.jpg

The Classic. Nice ground ......... and that's all I can say about my day apart from the fact that it managed not to rain on me despite being grim most of the day.

I seem to be one of the few who spotted the camera van facing oncoming traffic in the village of Little Glemham.

Back from a pleasant morning in the sun at Southdown for my June Registered shoot.  Finally think I've regained my confidence after the kicking I got at West London Shooting School at the beginning of the year.  Just need to work on my concentration.

Had the added pleasure of bumping into Donna from the forum.  Nice to meet you and good luck next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bebo, it was great to meet you too.  It's nice to put a face to the name!!  It was a lovely morning out, sun shining, and great targets.  It's just such a shame I mucked up every close rabbit stand (3 of them I think) or else I would  have ended up with a reasonable score.  I seem to panic on really close stuff, so I've worked really hard on mastering close targets in the air but close rabbits are a different thing.  I need to go to a practice ground and just shoot them until I've got it in my head there's nothing to be scared of!!  

Anyway, looking forward to the Worlds next week.  Hopefully it will be good weather for all.  Good luck everyone and I hope to meet a few old friends and make some new ones. 

I was OK on the others, but the rabbit on the last stand did for me too.  So close that your pattern had barely opened and with a limited window, needed to be bang on it I think.

Sim pairs often stuffs my card, but today I managed to stop myself going into panic mode and took my time on them.  That's my positive from today.

Honesberie today for their second registered of the season. 

Firm shoot and I felt quite disheartened when I counted the card up to see 70/100; but once I handed it in I found out I was 6 clear at the top of C. Hopefully it stuck as a decent score.

Sadly they don't seem to get the results out quickly. It would be great to see them posted up the same evening as the comp. I've been spoilt by Steve's shoots where the app pings the results to you within a few hours of it finishing! 

Not been able to shoot for 6 weeks so yesterday shot a Practice round at my local club (Pirbright) on saturday and scored an 87. This morning I tried Horne at Court Farm (non reg) for a bit more practice ahead of Beretta Worlds in 2 weeks time. Managed an 82 but was disappointed in missing some silly birds - mostly the slower closer stuff. Was trying some Black Gold 28g 8's I bought on a whim and didnt find them that thumpy (last time I shot some was on a demo DT11 that was RH and me being a leftie) and got some very impressive breaks.

Shot in the Hampshire Clubman yesterday for Bramley Clay Club at Spitfire Shooting Ground near Stockbridge.  Nice little ground, finished on 60/70 mostly overleading stuff that didn't need any lead at all.

Then we drove straight up to Bury St Edmunds, stayed there for the night and headed to Barrow Heath this morning where we met with Rosso to shoot the Premier League competition.

Really impressed with the set-up that Phil Moss has there, had everything running really smoothly and put on a great course with a mixture of everything including a cracking pool shoot which made a great warm-up.  Ended up with 86/100 which I was happy with.

Left all weekend to my own devices so lined up the ducks to shoot both Hornets and Weston Wood. I am beginning to become a bit more consistent with my prep and actually thinking about what I am doing. Put a 55 in at Hornets with some long waits really not helping on some stands. Then whizzed around Weston Wood with maximum wait of 2 shooters in front of me on any stand. Popped 62 of the blighters which is my first 60+ score. Happy days. Struggling with much bigger birds especially loopers. Advice please, do I try to identify boggie birds myself by shooting tough registered comps and then go to a coaching session armed with what I think I struggle with or just go for a coaching session and see what they pick up?

Left all weekend to my own devices so lined up the ducks to shoot both Hornets and Weston Wood. I am beginning to become a bit more consistent with my prep and actually thinking about what I am doing. Put a 55 in at Hornets with some long waits really not helping on some stands. Then whizzed around Weston Wood with maximum wait of 2 shooters in front of me on any stand. Popped 62 of the blighters which is my first 60+ score. Happy days. Struggling with much bigger birds especially loopers. Advice please, do I try to identify boggie birds myself by shooting tough registered comps and then go to a coaching session armed with what I think I struggle with or just go for a coaching session and see what they pick up?
The coach I use first looked at me shoot and put a few technical things right, there are probably things that you are doing that you think are right but in reality are wrong.  

Once you've ironed those out then start working out specific targets. 

Up bright and early although feeling a bit rough and of to Meadowcroft no long queues but a few awkward to be consistent on then off to Kingweston first time.  

Proper country shoot with great use of topography,hedges and trees with a few big targets to go with the technical stuff really enjoyable as very different to your usual shooting ground environment.

Will be looking forward to returning there for the next no queues at all,best laugh of the day was a first time female scorer who told us when it was explained that she may be asked to "show a pair" she almost took it literally!!  :D :D

I'm pleased to say that I had my first ever class win at Honesberie on Sunday. This means I have joined Sian and Tony in securing a place in the shoot off in October for some very nice prizes. I would be happy with 2nd place in the final as I have my heart set on some Pilla glasses :) 

Really good Premier League shoot put on by Sporting Targets today.

Good mix of targets, I didn't think any of it was particularly easy.  It was all there to be hit but if you weren't on it then it was easy to let one or two slip away.  

Finished on 76, I wasn't at my consistent best today sadly.  One really bad stand with 1/8, the rest was sloppy.  

My second ever registered 100. Demoralising and humbling. 47 at Weston Wood. Pretty much last.
Have have often reached the 40's and wondered if it's really for me, as with all sports there are some "kicked my arse days" one needs those to appreciate the good ones. Went to meadowcroft today, thought it was stiffer than of late, didn't think I'd shot badly whilst not quite getting it right enough. Chris C and Ade Johnson leading on 94, don't think it will be bettered 

I think it's worth mentioning James Attwood's 100 straight at Greenfields today  :cool: , Kevin Howland's 96 would have won it most days and shows it was no skeet layout, I made 2-3 unforced errors for 93 which was outside the money. Highly tidy darts James. 

wivels.jpgIf you missed the 70 bird charity shoot at Wivelsfileld today you missed a really good shoot. Put on by Jan and Dan and the Northall crowd to raise funds for Breast Cancer Research it's a great fun little shoot and the community put some cracking raffle prizes up including Two guns for auction. The compact pool shoot totally fooled me. I got 12 and 15 x 25, my excuse is a new gun and new cartridges on the same day but I enjoyed myself nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back