Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to Horne for my registered shoot for May.  Started a bit tentatively on the first three stands, missing a few that I shouldn't have on each stand.  Got to the platform (which I blanked a fortnight ago) and started poorly, but decided I just needed to be a little more aggressive with gun speed and lead and as a result smashed the last two pairs.  Straighted the next stand and was one away on the next two. Then had a partial meltdown on a stand where I should have been hitting them all, but rather than doing my usual and fretting over this I shrugged it off and dropped one target on each of the next three stands.  Finished on 73, which is way off what's needed for a class or category win, but made me happy as it's my best registered score so far.

Hoping to get to Greenfields on the 5th for my June registered shoot.

Added an extra target to last week's PB of 80 at Grange to get 81 at Oakedge today after hitting a miserable 13 out of the first 28!

Managed to channel the words of Mr Solomons and sort myself out ?

Mum also hit her PB after some stock adjustment again by Ed and a lesson yesterday. 

All in all, a cracking weekend!

Shot the county Sportrap yesterday at Owls Lodge, very disappointing 64 after completely losing my way on layout 3 and 4.

Then a dolly up to Four Counties this morning, three bad stands cost me a decent score with a few straights and a couple of one-away a. Finished on 72, but lovely weather and good company on both days.

Shot Garlands first today and only got 66 but improving there, lovely weather and some super targets.  On to Kegworth where I did better 79 but got frustrated with myself on a couple of stands.  Little things please me like straighting my last stand where I watched AA and A shooters drop some.  

It appears I came joint second in C class at Kegworth and only one clay behind Linda Grayson who won ladies on 80. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
bit of a trek for you Sian !!

Added an extra target to last week's PB of 80 at Grange to get 81 at Oakedge today after hitting a miserable 13 out of the first 28!

Managed to channel the words of Mr Solomons and sort myself out ?

Mum also hit her PB after some stock adjustment again by Ed and a lesson yesterday. 

All in all, a cracking weekend!
mum ??

can we elaborate on this ??

bloody well done mate that's a hell of a score ?

so spill how olds your lovely mum and what's the story with her shooting career I am genuinely interested. I think that's super cool to be shooting with yet mum ?

Shot the county Sportrap yesterday at Owls Lodge, very disappointing 64 after completely losing my way on layout 3 and 4.

Then a dolly up to Four Counties this morning, three bad stands cost me a decent score with a few straights and a couple of one-away a. Finished on 72, but lovely weather and good company on both days.
I know the feeling Matt. Shot a 70 at Owls yesterday but the wheels also fell off on the same layouts after posting 18 and 20 on layouts 1 & 2.

Now I have a thing about close rabbits - I cannot hit them for a toffee. Hit all the fast and distant rabbit on layout 2  but a fat zero on the really close one on layout 4........

Likewise to Four Counties today for another 70 and guess what - another fat zero on the simmo rabbit. Five pairs and 10 zero's for Christ sake. How to ruin a reasonable score in one easy lesson.

Enjoyed both shoots nevertheless. Damned good targets both days, faultless running on both grounds and like you good company and weather for a change. Just need to learn how to hit clays at ground level hahaha.

I know the feeling Matt. Shot a 70 at Owls yesterday but the wheels also fell off on the same layouts after posting 18 and 20 on layouts 1 & 2.

Now I have a thing about close rabbits - I cannot hit them for a toffee. Hit all the fast and distant rabbit on layout 2  but a fat zero on the really close one on layout 4........

Likewise to Four Counties today for another 70 and guess what - another fat zero on the simmo rabbit. Five pairs and 10 zero's for Christ sake. How to ruin a reasonable score in one easy lesson.

Enjoyed both shoots nevertheless. Damned good targets both days, faultless running on both grounds and like you good company and weather for a change. Just need to learn how to hit clays at ground level hahaha.
I had this issue and found even aiming bang on close rabbits I was over leading especially on L-R's (left handed shooter). Shoot at the back legs and I now hit them.

so spill how olds your lovely mum and what's the story with her shooting career I am genuinely interested. I think that's super cool to be shooting with yet mum ?
I cant say exactly how old she is as that would be indiscrete, but i'm 36 and she might've been a similar age when i appeared ;)

She's had a shotgun licence for a few years but only shot once a month if that at little straw balers. She was introduced to shooting by myself and taught by Phil Gutteridge at Park Farm who was really good - great facility too. 

She met Tom Giles then relatively recently Joe Kitson at Millride who got her on the skeet and shooting more regularly, i then threw her in the deep end at Grange Farm for her first registered at the Christmas shoot. Having never shot 100 targets before or seen anything like a looper, battue or chandelle, she came away with a 19.

Her gun fit was horrible so after a little more local practice, one lesson with Ed and a bit of Solomons stock wizardry, she then hits 39 today. Over the moon is an understatement!!

And yes, its good fun shooting with her and everyone we've met along the way over the last few months have been really lovely.

I've especially enjoyed hearing her say s**t and b******s almost as much as me!! :D

I would never usually complain about a shoot but Gosport & Fareham should be ashamed of themselves at yesterday's Clubman shoot.

First of all there was no catering, didn't matter to me as I'd eaten before I left but a few from our group alone were disappointed. 

7 stands, only 1 had 2 different targets, another had a sim-pair being thrown off a manual trap.

3 of the targets you probably wouldn't have even seen at the hardest of shoots, and this was supposed to be a competition aimed at C-class shooters.  Someone on our team got 15/70, I got 36/70 and I'm about to go up to A.

Our captain spoke to the person who set the targets and his reply was "you've got to make it hard haven't you"

I got a message from someone who I know from the opposition who is looking to start shooting registered asked me if registered shoots are like that then he won't bother.   Poor lad is a reasonable club shooter and he got 20-odd.  

I would have some sympathy with them on the catering front, some small clubs just don't have the facilities to provide catering, but even the smallest club should be able to put on some decent targets.

I would never usually complain about a shoot but Gosport & Fareham should be ashamed of themselves at yesterday's Clubman shoot.

First of all there was no catering, didn't matter to me as I'd eaten before I left but a few from our group alone were disappointed. 

7 stands, only 1 had 2 different targets, another had a sim-pair being thrown off a manual trap.

3 of the targets you probably wouldn't have even seen at the hardest of shoots, and this was supposed to be a competition aimed at C-class shooters.  Someone on our team got 15/70, I got 36/70 and I'm about to go up to A.

Our captain spoke to the person who set the targets and his reply was "you've got to make it hard haven't you"

I got a message from someone who I know from the opposition who is looking to start shooting registered asked me if registered shoots are like that then he won't bother.   Poor lad is a reasonable club shooter and he got 20-odd.  
Sorry to hear of your disappointment but I have a question are you allowed to shoot Clubman competitions if you are a full CPSA competition member?  Just curious.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment but I have a question are you allowed to shoot Clubman competitions if you are a full CPSA competition member?  Just curious.
this may help.https://www.cpsa.co.uk/userfiles/file/ClubmanClassicRulesRegsv10.pdf   yes, as far as i know , anyone can shoot, the more the merrier,,however, only eligible shooters qualify for the league  as such. , ie, c and b class or not cpsa registered,, which is a snag when a shooter has stopped cpsa membership, but is very capable.,,, if you follow me  :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I am, each team can have as many C class & unregistered shooters and max of 4 B class shooters.  I'm about to go up to A but will be able to shoot as I was B when the competition series started. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back