Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Made the most of the weather on Friday and made a first visit to Barbury Shooting Ground. Lovely setting but nothing too testing across the sporting layout. Had a go at their high tower challenge which was interesting, only managed 19/25 though.

I was hoping to head down to Hornet on Saturday but ended up wiring up the garage with a friend; it sounds like it was the right decision! 

Tomorrow I am either going to the Point to Point or Longridge. Weather will dictate play tomorrow! 

Wrecked plans for today as was going to do Horne reg on the way back too but reckon the 10% rule is going to mean futile cards anywho. 

EDIT : Just heard Gatton Bottom, Horne is cancelled too, what a Bank Holiday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Point to Point has been called off due to overnight rain so it looks like a trip to Longridge is on the cards. Will get there for 12ish; might see some of you there.

A very pleasant afternoon out at Longridge in the sun. Picked up some cartridges for £5 less than normal and got a decent score of 69/100 which I am pleased with considering all my scores this year have mainly been in the high 50's low 60s. 

The repeat visits to Westfield must be starting to pay off as I didn't find any stand today too daunting or unnerving. 

horne1.JPG

I went to Horne :-(

Had the same idea as Hamster, at least Southdown are on the ball and informed all via facebook very early, shoot cancelled. think Horne cancellation was on FB about 9am. Would presume they set up day before or very early in morning, so could have been a bit more proactive, oh when we arrived at 9, blue sky and a slight breeze.

Longridge also for me. Thought it was tricky and some of the scores bore that out until Chris Daniels straights it and Nick Hendrick does 99 to make us all look like Muppets. Great shooting. 

We were on our way to Southdown when I checked Facebook, drove past Gatton Bottom nothing there so rang Michelle so ended up going to Dartford  for the day.  Had a huge breakfast to start followed by two rounds of compak, 3 rounds of DTL, 2 rounds of Skeet and 100 sporting.  It was very blowy but blue sky with white clouds and sunshine and no rain.

Pleasant morning in the sun at AC Sporting Targets for a change of scenery and discipline.

24/25 on skeet, 23/25 & 23/25 on the 2 different Sportrap layouts, and 20/25 FITASC.

I have been commissioned to submit a report on behalf of 'Westley's Midnight Runners' who shot the Cheshire Shield at Hodnet last Thursday. The 'Team' of ips, 40up and myself from here, and two sandbaggers who were going to ensure that we got the Team Prize !   Their combined scores were supposed to get us home and dry, with our 3 scores as incidentals. Well, I think they were having an off day because the 3 Forum contributors were the top 3 scores. Only 40up and myself managed to top 70,  with ips coming in a close 3rd. Not bad for a bloody invalid and 2 of the Nations top Trap shooters though.  I can only praise the Shooting Ground and the Refs, for helping to make the day the success it was. With Teams from the Armed Forces, and the Emergency Services along with a lot of Guest Teams, it made for quite a big entry but we encountered the minimum of hold ups. I do not think we were ever in contention for the glassware, but the spirit and camaraderie in which it was shot was a joy to behold. We were following a team of RAF lads with an average age of 20 (if that) whose behaviour was impeccable, hit or miss, "Teddy never left the cot".  However whilst at the top of the ground, an RAF helicopter did put in an appearance, we suspected it was bringing in reinforcements !  Maybe our scores could have been improved upon by using tighter chokes, different cartridges or Ref bashing, but I was happy with the performance of MY equipment (so to speak) and there was not a single target that I or 40up missed all of. Yes, we were dropping the odd target here and there, but not I feel,  due to our gun or cartridge combination. One minor problem was with my auto failing to cycle on 3 or 4 occasions, much to the amusement of the 2 Trappies. This was down to user error and NOT the gun. Tension was causing me to not fully release the trigger, which with the O/U would cause the second barrel to fail to fire, but with an auto it fails to feed the next round properly. So there we have it, not too bad a show all things considered and not a K P nut in sight !    3 Beretta's, 2 Browning/Miroku's instead. I will leave it to others to announce the actual scores, but when I returned the scoresheets to the organisers, they punched a hole in the top right corner of the sheets and asked me to hang them up on a nail in the 'Gents'  !

a great day in great company what's not to like. Had a chat with some friendly folk and yes the RAF lads were a credit to the armed forces which is a good job as being born (literally) and brought up on RAF bases I would have had something to say if they weren't. Some difficult (to me) targets and how many midges were there ????

Westley and 40up shot very very well indeed I thought. If it wasn't for zeroing one stand I would have broke 60 but hey ho I never said I was any good.

I forgot to mention that in my bag was a 3 piece cleaning rod,  a small multi tool (stuck cartridges), spare Pilla lens, insect bite relief, reading glasses Oh, and er.............some Jungle Formula.......what midges  ???

I was eaten alive mate, I don't do midges. You don't get em in trap you know.

Southdown today started with the Compak out for 8.54 am - let myself down on the third layout which didn't even have the simo pairs on it, just had a wobble but finished on 72/100.  Then the ESP coming joint first in C class with a 75/100.  Poor old Tony felt and looked like the walking dead, third week of a really bad cold and he got bitten on his cheek on Friday which immediately blew up and is still swollen and whatever bit him literally blistered his skin to about the size of a 10p.  Then on to Horne where I took ladies for 83/100.  A good day.

also good to see Hamster today who shot a brilliant 99/100 taking joint first with George at Horne.  George also shot 99 at Southdown.  I saw him miss his target on a simo pair as I was next. i went on and got to my last pair thinking if I get this I'll have beaten him on this stand and then missed one!!

Hopetoun FITASC today, I was expecting a tough but fair shootWell...I was right!!! Tough shoot, five layouts of 20, one strait forward layout, one normal difficulty layout, one layout that was stiff from every hoop and two layouts that were "stiff" on two hoops and very difficult on the last hoop!!!? Everything highly visible, most things "technical"...some "technical/at distance/with pace".
Fantastic bit of ground to set a FITASC shoot, every target good, easily seen and all killable...shot steady at times, apart from two hoops, one 0/6 the other 1/6???
Finished on 76, not a great score, but not embarrassed by it either. 
HG Colin Will on 89

A day to forget for me at barrow. Lost it mentality. Nothing was going right. Had no consistency, was second guessing myself all the time. Don't think I hit a single battue or chondel all day. 

A great round as usual at barrow but I was not up to it today.

all time low of 49. I knew I should have gone fishing ?

Up and down weekend 

72 at Barrow, started ok miss read on two targets costing me 8 sent me into a spin. Focus went home so should I have. 

84 at Garlands was again poor focus, 10 targets lost in last pairs..................... 

A morning with @EdSolomons and @Henry Hopking on Thursday with lots to do. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back