Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shot at barrow today, managed a 53 which I was pleased with as haven't shot for 3 weeks. Plus it seemed Phil had put on a more technical round today which is always more fun and challenging, allowing myself to be more tested. No really gimme birds out there in my opinion, one super mini thing that I just couldn't judge as a R-L left crosser maybe 30 yards out, and was a toughy

Meadowcroft, drive down with Stew Keen where we met up and had a very pleasant shoot with Tony Pewsey Wez Carnell and Gareth Jones, grounds undergoing continued improvement which is good to see, only blight being the rather unsympathetic trap filling shoot stopping ground staff. 

The boys all, shot rather well, myself finding ever new ways to struggle less so, young Pete Dennet was leading when we left though there was still quite a few scores to come in.
Yes Rich a very enjoyable morning out in yours and the lads company as you say the only blight was the ground staff stopping 6 stands at one go to fill the traps when they were all at least half full which created unnecessary delays and ques I appreciate they have to be filled to keep the shoot going and the hard work they do for our enjoyment but stopping 6 stands when they were filling the first of the 6 was a little bewildering. Poor Stew had the hold up twice when they filled the traps a second time . Well shot  parcours pete  leading the pack when we left 

Went kegworth today shot a 76 first stand i shot was my bogey stand dropping 5 .then doped odd sily ones and 2 's but enjoyed it 

Scottish team qualifier FITASC at Lindertis Woods Kirriemuir. Five layouts of 20. Lots of edge on, lots of distance, too many sim pairs...HG 89. 

First layout strait first two hoops. A bird from the 3rd hoop was loooong and edge on, killed it, YES...thought "20 in on" missed midi looper full use, fud!!! Missed 40yd rabbit to two cruel bounces and missed the soft bird in the simo by powering past it to take it early 17/20

second layout pink one away first hoop, overlead, one away second hoop in sim double, two away third hoop...unforced error 16/20

third layout eyesight test extreme added to me missing 2-3 unforgivable ones = 14/20 fud, fud, fud!!!

forth layout, not so many eyesight tests, missed a loooong looper first hoop in the double and missed an awkward edge on midi eyesight test under power, hit the loooong standard that had to be shot through a tree, stupid target 18/20

last layout started with a very nasty dying pink quartering incomer that had to be shot through a tree...again!?!? Got it, got the completely edge on teal, got the awkward battue...were on...strait on singles second hoop, hesitated on the teal in the double and shot under it...bastard!!! 19/20 to finish on 84, five behind high gun, should be delighted, but I'm not!!!

...just been told, 5th overall with 70 guns shooting it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Rich a very enjoyable morning out in yours and the lads company as you say the only blight was the ground staff stopping 6 stands at one go to fill the traps when they were all at least half full which created unnecessary delays and ques I appreciate they have to be filled to keep the shoot going and the hard work they do for our enjoyment but stopping 6 stands when they were filling the first of the 6 was a little bewildering. Poor Stew had the hold up twice when they filled the traps a second time . Well shot  parcours pete  leading the pack when we left 
Gareth its not the filling of traps, we all accept that it was the tearaway on the quad who was stopping shooters already in the cage, I dont hit many pairs and they cleverly awaited until I did then demanded I stop 2 pairs into a 4 pair stand so they could top up traps that are all 2/3rds full :-(   

Must balance that out by adding that it was a good course, the AAA boys worked for there 90-95 and us in the lower bowels of C class didnt feel anything was set to humiliate, far from it one really felt everything was hittable despite the fact that we clearly did not, the ground staff antics wont put me off returning.

Again nice to see you Gareth, better work on those bunnies though :) and if all else fail always remember to "swing low" 

Did Southdown ESP reg with a friend, a very nice round I thought with cheerful scorers no hold ups for us at all and we got 1 no bird between us, one or two rangy birds, a few deceiving loopers and even the close ones had been thoughtfully presented so as not to be boring like a 6 yard rabbit that bounced on purpose to begin with and had to be shot before a bollard  :smile:  you had to see the 2" wide bullet holes left in the ground  :D , a very close but fast crosser and a curling in orange which was inside 20 yards. 

I had one poor stand on the simmo away and Teal, reckon if I'd shot the Teal first might have scraped a respectable score but 4 away there left me with 90 which I felt was still not shabby. 

Gareth its not the filling of traps, we all accept that it was the tearaway on the quad who was stopping shooters already in the cage, I dont hit many pairs and they cleverly awaited until I did then demanded I stop 2 pairs into a 4 pair stand so they could top up traps that are all 2/3rds full :-(   

Must balance that out by adding that it was a good course, the AAA boys worked for there 90-95 and us in the lower bowels of C class didnt feel anything was set to humiliate, far from it one really felt everything was hittable despite the fact that we clearly did not, the ground staff antics wont put me off returning.

Again nice to see you Gareth, better work on those bunnies though :) and if all else fail always remember to "swing low" 

I agree Rich but they didn't need to stop you on your stand when they were filling the other one as it was in the next field, then the tearaway as you put it on the quad drove past your stand like he was in slow motion until he got to the gate then opened the throttle to go down the next field and stopped the other 3 stands. 

I'm short enough now if I swing any lower I'll be on my bloody knee's trying to shoot them  :laugh:  just watch the wheels don't wobble on your chariot 

We had another family lunch as there are relatives down from York so I just managed to squeeze in a 50 bird sporting shoot at Meltor Shooting Club, near Sigford which is between Newton Abbot and Ashburton on a typical Devon lane just off another lane that goes up to Widecombe in the Moor.  My 686e is now confined to the cabinet as I just don't have confidence in it any more.  I do know, secretly that there is nothing wrong with the gun, but I let the set screws get loose on the adjustable cheek piece and I didn't put it back in the right place.  I need to devote some time to get it right again but no time yet.  Anyway I shot my old 682 trap gun, choked 3/4 and full and shot a 36 ex 50 which got me joint second with a 38 ex 50 winning the shoot.  Have to say that I was well pleased to get back to a good score for me after Wednesday at Podimore when I only managed a 35 ex 100 due to the cheek piece problems on the 686e and some of the clays were beyond my skill level anyway! 

Reactions: ips
kegworth today 77  okish    but never going to win owt in a class .     :baby:    
What class you in lecter what you reckon to the teal on stand one 

Sorry lecter just read your post back i no it a now . 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I was going to be clever by going to Weston Wood thinking everyone would be stood in lines for hours at Churchill's. It turns out many shooters decided to use Weston as a warm up so it was busy. Not too many waits apart from a long one half way round the course (stand 7 I think... R-L OR L-R) cold wind plus a long wait didn't help but I picked it back up after that until I dropped half of the clays on a stand that wouldn't have looked out of place on a beginners day! L-R Rabbit then a nice gentle going away. Loads of silly mistakes ended up bringing the score down to 62/100. Really should have cleared 70 but every outing is a learning experience.

Kind of regretting not going to Churchill's purely because it was on ground I haven't shot on before.

luke 725   I thought stand one was mega hard  I got 2     suppose I read em wrong , many others  shot em well .
It wasent a nice stand to break into the round wish i would have shot it last off ( lot of people did that) good targets in the feild area though

83 at Northampton pretty pleased as its first time out with The Ellipse Evo Ascent. 

Its a nice ground but I did notice a few similar birds to last registered....

I can only  think of 3 Jeremy? And they were all different positions. 

The dropping orange on 13,

the high midi on 7,

l-r 1/4ing on 8

Stand one was such a different position I don't even count it..

I can only  think of 3 Jeremy? And they were all different positions. 

The dropping orange on 13,

the high midi on 7,

l-r 1/4ing on 8

Stand one was such a different position I don't even count it..
Those were the ones............

Actually was only the dropping orange. 

But I like to keep you on your toes buddy. 

Now this Fitasc layout..............

Last Sunday after finding ever new ways to let clays get away to live another day I've decided to have a bit of a break from pulling the trigger, well that is until 2pm Thursday at Owls, might see one or two of you there I'm sure 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back