Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pilford again this morning. I do look forward to Pilford.

It was colder than promised by the Met Office, I wasn't the only one to feel it, so I have my dear wife that the heating at home is now officially in use. I have already conducted a search for thicker socks, vests and the like and from now on I shall dress for winter.

A great little layout; I was caught out by a long looping flat clay that presented itself as a disc for everyone else but a thin edge-on line for me (at least it felt that way) and I dropped a couple of those. All my other misses were simply lack of focus. I knew where I wanted to put the shot, but simply failed to do it. Sloppy shooting. Apart from one shot where I actually seemed to flinch. The muzzle jerked away from the target, the shot was fired, and I was miles off.

I enjoyed the morning, and my next door neighbour who joined us gave a memorable display of hesitation followed by an excellent shot when a colourful pink clay emerged from the trap - he didn't know about the random "hit this one and win a bottle of wine" thing that they do there. He acted just like a pigeon shooter confronted by something that isn't quite like a pigeon and did the "do I shoot it or leave it alone" action for a second. This is the chap who last year shot the first of a simultaneous pair, auto failed to load for the second shot, and in one fluid motion cycled the bolt to load the next cartridge, returned the gun to his shoulder and fired at the rapidly descending second clay resulting in a cloud of clay dust. Great stuff!

I would say that the standard of target difficulty was well chosen, a few easy, some hard, one or two rather challenging. 

Importantly, I rate the bacon baps there as first class. Everyone is friendly (staff and shooters alike), and I can't wait for next month.

Edited to add: I shall not allow my eventual score the oxygen of publicity.
i shot that loopy crosser early maybe a 1/3rd of the way throughits flight and straighted it on the first round then missed 2 of the teal on the next stand rushing it!

pulled the trigger to early on the second round and dropped 2 before i realised!

36 1st round 35 2nd round lack of concentration as usual..2 on 39 won it so didn't even get a bottle for second :cry:

Westfield for me today. I seem to be in a pattern of one good shoot, one rotten one, and this was a rotten one for me. It may be my imagination but I remember Westfield in the past being tough but fair, while this seemed like it was really out to beat me with tricky stuff. Several stands that would have been easier if targets shot the other way round. No doubt some superstar will knock in a 113 but I was nowhere near getting comfortable today. Anybody else on here do it?

Oakedge for me again today, some nice targets and they seem to be shifting the cage positions around which is making for some new presentations. 

Decent mix of distance, speed and angles and I finished on a steady 85, with 94 leading as I left.

Really brought it home to me today, looking at my card there were no targets I couldn't hit so why did I miss 15...and what do you have to do to hit them.....I guess that's the difference between us mortals and the greats..

After last weeks abstinence I also realise I prefer shooting to washing the cars.....

Westfield for me today. I seem to be in a pattern of one good shoot, one rotten one, and this was a rotten one for me. It may be my imagination but I remember Westfield in the past being tough but fair, while this seemed like it was really out to beat me with tricky stuff. Several stands that would have been easier if targets shot the other way round. No doubt some superstar will knock in a 113 but I was nowhere near getting comfortable today. Anybody else on here do it?
For a one shoot a week me, I did not enjoy that.

First off urchfont today a real toughie 

88 me and the kingmeister joint high gun 

followed by meadowcroft nr bath 

high gun Andy moon with a monster 97 

john kendall 93 ist AA 

me                92 2nd AA 

All in All Another very good day at the office 

the K gun just keeps smashing Em up !! 

Westfields for for me today and I must say It was an education. Whilst not shooting a very good score, I thoroughly enjoyed it, as it highlighted lots of things that I need to work on.

Steve (the magician) was able to deceive with some clever presentations and angles. For those on here who have not shot at Westfields it is a must visit ground in my opinion.

If you like a challenge you will definitely get it at Westfields.

Sporting targets today a tough round with only one score in the ninety's. Some tricky sim pairs so fairly happy with 80 apart from dropping 5 on the last stand which was not that hard.

Saturday was an afternoon of practise - 300 clays worth of practise followed by Sunday at Southdown for the SE Championships - Fitasc.  First two layouts for me went well, in fact the second layout I was only a clay behind most of the squad for that layout.  My attempt at the third and fourth were abysmal - seriously hacked off with myself.  Lost concentration and discipline and just cocked it up royally.  Still it was a good fitasc and my squad were a great bunch.

Reactions: WB
Shot at my local Fareham CTC this Sunday. 50 bird Open Sporting, was a really good layout. The have moved it from down in the woods to where Trap Layouts A and B (I think) are, made a huge difference. It was extremely busy all day which is fantastic news for the club!

I think I did pretty well too, first shoot since my lesson and reducing the length of my stock so I didn't expect to do that well. Did a 28/50 followed by a 31/50 which I was happy with, had 2 awful stands on both cards, it just so happened they were all completely different stands! Adding the best stands together, I would have finished on 38/50, which would have won C class and 2nd in B class which I'd be very happy with!

Purbeck Sporting yesterday, what a poor performance!

Resident fluffy dog found it necessary to shout loudly at foxes just outside the front door for a while in the early hours, so I was tired. But that shouldn't be enough. The course setters had actually done a good job with a good mix of targets, and the shooting was enjoyable as ever. But I just wasn't connecting - even with those that normally wouldn't bother me too much. Lack of focus and poor concentration accounted for many of my numerous misses, but there were a few which better gun hold might have helped - as pointed out by a kind chap who was having no trouble smashing everything in sight.

Tiredness, snuffles, stress, they all affect my performance quite severely; I must work on this aspect and develop a method of really concentrating. It's fair to say that I am convinced that I know where to put the shot, I'm perfectly happy with gun/choke/mount/cartridge combination, it's actually getting the barrels to move to the right point that foxed me this time.

Major omission of mine - I didn't have my customary sausage bap. I wonder if that's enough to throw me?

A couple of trap failures (including one up the high tower) got a lightning response from the team, and young Emily who was doing the buttons 'n stuff did a sterling job.

Can't wait for the next one...

Horne Sunday 1st

Nice selection of targets and an interesting round. Sun started to burn the mist off by late morning. 

Stand 1 a snails pace rabbit and then a deceptive one from the left.

3 off the tower, second of two going away escaped me every time!

interesting sim loopers left and right on stand 7(?) 

A enjoyable mornings shoot, just over an hour to complete and a respectable 80x100 which I can live with considering I have a stinking cold.

B class in December!

Longridge a very pleasant morning with Stew Keen and Gareth Jones (short legs) it was very foggy which hadn't lifted when I left at 2pm, entry wise quite busy, me, I'm still getting to grips with the dt10 but no she didn't cost me any targets, my own foibles do that, 150 entries when I left and 91 was leading, there was an 85 in C which was very impressive as there was also a number of sub class scores in A and B before I get a "ice cream shoot" comment

Pilford this morning. A damp drizzly drive to the ground made me & my mate wonder about just turning round, but we persevered.

The ladies in the caravan are always a ray of sunshine, and a bacon bap and a coffee revitalised our enthusiasm. As ever the stands were pitched, in my estimation, just right. A very bouncy (mostly airborne it seemed) rabbit was challenging on stand 4, for me anyway. The dam' thing behaved perfectly for the others in my little group. An "overhead going away from directly behind" on stand 3 had me fooled at first, and a misleading looper on stand 2 was catching out quite a few. Stand 1 had a simple going away first bird rendered rather less simple by a breeze that gave it a definite lift just at the point where you are attempting to kill it, that caught out a few. 

We tend to do the stands in reverse order to avoid too much queuing, today quite a few of the regulars had wimpishly stayed away (softie town-dwelling types no doubt) so the waiting time was minimal. I came away pleased with 37/40.

Always a good bunch at Pilford, always chat and fluffy rabbits, and as ever I can't wait for the next one. 

*Edited to correct the nonsense about fluffy rabbits, but I have no idea at all what it was I intended to write...

Last edited by a moderator:
i was at Valley gun club near Capetown today,nice fitasc compak which was the South African compak national championships, i am down here for 4 months, but did stuff up the sims field badly!, 

a news item under FITASC section .

Morning all

I shot Westfield on Sunday 15th Nov, and what a damn great shoot!  The best way I can describe is to say the targets were exciting.  In the big wind that was on, the targets I shot were hardly affected, but the ones in the open had pace and face.  Lots of clay to look at against the dark grey skies, but with plenty of speed and good angles, I really enjoyed moving the gun on them.  I am B class and shot 73 (4th in class) and thought I shot really well.  Great targets from a course setter who obviously knows what they are doing.  There was a mix of crossers, driven, towers, fast overheads, chondels, sharp Battues, long rabbits.  As a relative newcomer to the sport, I shoot because I enjoy it, and the more testing a course, the better for me.  That is how you learn after all.

Well done to Westfields........I will be back whenever they are on!!

Shot Owls Lodge as well, straight for the first and last stands and very dodgy in between ? but despite the annoying rain enjoyed myself with a good squad.  Well done Will a very good score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back