Sporting shoots. Where - and how did it go?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Pilford this morning, despite the drizzle. Not the highest turnout, which was understamdable.

It's always fun there, high quality bacon baps, some testing targets, friendly people.

My score was utterly pathetic, mindnumbingly poor on two stands, but the chum who accompanied me managed a personal best which greatly alleviated my post adding-up-the-scores gloom.

I always enjoy Pilford.

Drying out the gun prior to a clean & oil ready for the Tuesday old gits gathering at Purbeck.

Went to Horne, kidding myself I might not get absolutely soaked. Got absolutely soaked, which amused Sian. 

Dire start, pissed off, gave myself a talking to and had a better second half, which caused an upgrade from total disaster to merely a bit poor. Hoping for three good shoots in a weekend was just greedy..
half way through Horne Tony's firing pin broke so he had to use my midget gun and leave the comb raiser on .   Think he did very well considering that 89/100.  I was shocked to see Will it has to be said. On my way to Southdown now to shoot ESP reg and the Compak county comp.  

i had better do a half report.  A good round of super sporting nothing silly distance and all the sim pairs were hittable, as dysons shoots always are. I started badly and carried that form throughout most of the shoot finishing with my one and only straight on stand 12. Finished on 96 I never thought George digweeds 117 would be beat so very surprised to see Suffolk junior Aaron harvey hit 119.
shot this on saturday, as you say all there to be hit....

But I was crap!!!! 

suspended myself from shooting after such a dire display!!! But..

My good lady wanted to go shopping looking at "wedding stuff" so I dropped her off to bluewater and popped into JJ's for their Sim pairs shoot ended up on 76/84 to be honest I was disappointed to drop the 8 I did 3x last bird each stand and a few silly ones in the middle..

Last edited by a moderator:
Went on to Southdown and the rain stopped Will so shot the sporting and then the Compak.  Started off well with two layouts and then the third layout went to pot recovering a little for the fourth.  Stupid thing was layout 3 was not overly hard and no sim pairs just me.  Knackered now.

Went on to Southdown and the rain stopped Will so shot the sporting and then the Compak.  Started off well with two layouts and then the third layout went to pot recovering a little for the fourth.  Stupid thing was layout 3 was not overly hard and no sim pairs just me.  Knackered now.
Were you on the compak squad that started at 14.50?

Hard focus practice at Dartford yesterday.  Had a DTL shed all to my self. Been a tad weak on concentration lately so I thought a bit of DTL would help. Shot 20, 22, 22, 23 so quite pleased, all bar a couple were on 1st barrel.  The misses I think were down to poor concentration and lack of hard focus.

No sim pairs ???........ was this a reg sportrap  !!!

No sim pairs ???........ was this a reg sportrap  !!!
no reg Compak, sim pairs were on layouts 1 and 2 and then on report pairs layouts 3 and 4.  Should have been clearer was just shocked that I did badly on that layout.

Shot Horne yesterday. Kicked off at 2.50, just before the cutoff. Might well have been the last starter. Took about 40 minutes to do 100 birds. Only went straight in to one stand without looking at the birds as every other stand was empty when I got to it so had to see a pair! Great way to go around a reg shoot! The mob in the earlier day had churned up the mud so it was damned slippery in places ( Nearly fell on my butt on stand 14 ) but the rain had passed so didn't have to contend with that.

Worked back from stand 14 dropping only 2 birds in the first 4 stands, very chuffed. Then it all fell apart and I dropped quite a few and 6 on one stand alone, finished on a disappointing 75.  Right on my average but ho hum 'twas better than sitting at home looking at the grey skies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Purbeck Shooting School this morning for the regular Tuesday "Old Gits Get Together and Clay-Threatening". Fabulous clear blue sky and a light breeze coupled with many new targets, some of them really quite unexpectedly challenging.

Naturally the sausage bap was good, so was the company.

I took my old Beretta 686 Special (haven't shot this gun for ages) all taped up with a cardboard-and-electrican's-tape-comb-raiser. The better overall quality of this one compared to Modern Beretta OUs is quite marked. My modifications just plain didn't work, and I shot even less well than Saturday's outing at Pilford; I really shouldn't mess with things when there's not much wrong to start with. I have also been experimenting with daily contact lenses to alleviate an orientation problem with my dominant right eye. So no more changing guns, it's back to my usual from now on and I'll be leaving everything alone. My dreadful score marks, I hope, a low point. As things stand there's no point getting too despondent and attempting to shoot myself 'cos I would miss!

The morning was fun; I really enjoy wandering round at Purbeck, the variety of targets is go be applauded. There are always a few that prove quite daunting, and some that the others in the group simply don't want to attempt.

If I can find some form over the next week I'm tempted to have an exploratory go at FITASC. Maybe not the registered event but the informal "Farmers' FITASC" run the following day on the same layout. I know I would enjoy the shooting, but I'm a little mithered about not moving my gun until I see the target.

Just a thought - it's a good idea to have this thread, it's good to see where people are and what's happening. Perhaps we should compare prices, too?

Charles 

very honest write up 

thumbs up for the farmers fitasc very friendly bunch 

Richard runs it very well and you will be. Made most welcome 

best of luck with your shooting 

No alternative to honesty. There were witnesses!

Thanks for the encouragement. I got myself on Richard's mailing list a little while ago with every intention of giving it a go. The Graham started up the mid week Sporting, which I've been doing, and hugely enjoying. I was incredibly nervous first time, dithering and clumsy. I even managed to drop a pair of cartridges outside a covered stand...

I had a few hours spare this afternoon so I went over to see Kevin Gray at College Farm in Long Crendon, on the Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire boarder. From the start of September Kevin has now opened College Farm Shooting Ground for open practice (it's opposite his other venue Hornets). Kevin is a keen FITASC shooter so he has put on some interesting presentations as well as a wide variety of Sporting presentation. It's strictly bookings only at the moment and is one to one therefore you have the whole ground to yourself with Kevin doing the buttons. Kevin is able to put on any target presentation that you want so it's great for practicing any bogey targets etc. I can not think of anywhere else locally where you are able to shoot whatever presentations you ask for, also from varying distances and angles as Kevin simply moves the hoop around for you. I hope that he does well with this new service offering so if you are after some bespoke practice Kevin can be contacted on 07702 243308

View attachment 5129

View attachment 5128

Saturday I shot 200 practice over at EJC, went in the afternoon for a change and had the best of the weather.

Sunday I shot at Flightline Targets in Maidenhead for the first time ever, more just to catch up with some friends who I hadn't seen in ages.  

I thought that it was going to be a fairly floppy Sunday morning shoot and how wrong was I.  There wasn't anything there that I hadn't seen on a registered shoot before and I worked hard for 57/70.  Should have got more really but I messed around a bit missing 2 rabbits as I was trying to kill them far too quickly and missing 4 slightly quartering and rising targets as I was trying to kill them too quickly.  

A friend afterwards said that I should have treated it like a registered, knuckled down and shot it properly.

All good fun though.

Pilford again this morning. Wipers on twice during the short drive to the ground, but rainwear not required as it happens.

This was one of those days when I knew it was going to be dodgy - at 4.00 this morning I was digging contact lenses out of my dry eyes having forgotten to take them out last night. 

But it was OK when I started. The chap in front of me had a lot of trouble with the rabbit - for him it bounced violently (almost enough to be termed a looper rather than a rabbit , then rolled to a standstill, remaining vertical. Fortunately my rabbits were all smooth and predictable. I was quite satisfied with myself until stand 2 which presented a simultaneous pair of left to right loopers, one high and one low. People in front of me tried both ways, without clearly demonstrating which go tackle first and I chose low then high. I dropped three on that stand, dammit, but I strongly suspect that two of those were actually broken (well, chipped!) but below the tree line, which meant the half blind chum who was scoring failed to register them as kills. If that had been a registered competition with an eagle eyed young scorer I might have had those... Another two I dropped through just plain bad concentration - an area upon which I must, er, concentrate.

A plus point is that I am getting on famously with my Beretta Outlander. I've been using this gun since January with no complaints or problems at all. Not a single misfeed, no failures to extract or eject, it has several thousand cartridges through it now. It's an easy gun to clean and is wearing well apart from the expected and understandable dinks on the woodwork (which isn't exactly exhibition grade walnut anyway) from ejected cartridge cases bouncing off cage walls and of course a little of the black anodised finish wearing from inside the receiver aperture.

My small gang (four of us chaps and one lady who carries cartridges and is referred to by her partner as his "Sherpa") prefer to shoot in our own order; we go to the stand that has the fewer people queuing, so there's little waiting time. Today that wasn't really necessary as there wasn't the large attendance I had expected. I have explained to my dear wife that carrying cartridges/surplus coats/gunslip is no more than normal wifelike duty but for some reason she has failed to embrace the concept.

But all in all I had fun, and ended up with 35 - or was it 36? - 37 even?

The bacon baps are good at Pilford, never any trouble parking, and the people running the event are lovely without exception. The other shooters are a great bunch, and I thoroughly enjoy it.

Purbeck Shooting School next Tuesday for another Old Gits Outing. There are some extraordinarily difficult targets there at the moment, at least four of which defy all my attempts to hit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back