Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point and you have to qualify to get to the Olympics…..
And funnily enough you can shoot alongside our Olympians and multi multi world champions and they don’t concern themselves with whether you can hit a barn door or not. in fact I have never found them to be anything but encouraging.

And funnily enough you can shoot alongside our Olympians and multi multi world champions and they don’t concern themselves with whether you can hit a barn door or not. in fact I have never found them to be anything but encouraging.
Not at the Olympics you can’t 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not at the Olympics you can’t 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well you wouldn’t get me wanting too as they aren’t disciplines I particularly enjoy and I wonder how long we’ll even have those in the Olympics going forward.

Well you wouldn’t get me wanting too as they aren’t disciplines I particularly enjoy and I wonder how long we’ll even have those in the Olympics going forward.
Confirmed for 2028 so till then at least,ive heard about them ending shooting for the last 20 years and at some point they will fir sure just like everything else ends at some point.

ps Not my favourite thing to shoot myself niether but it is a good shop window for clay shooting

Last edited:
Give it a few years and the woken will be in charge. And if clay shooting still exists , the woken won't let anyone win or lose. There will be no competition anywhere. As is happening in schools. No winners, no losers.
Just think of the psychological damage you will incur by freely entering a world championship and being beaten hands down by the world's greatest. No coming back from that.🫣🤫🤔😂.
So make the most of open entries to the world's.
For different reasons it won't last long.
Jasper.

But Darts and snooker are hobbies for lots of people and also a highly sponsored sport and a way of life for those at the top. You can’t just enter the world championships in any other sport so why is clay shooting so poorly sponsored and still a minority sport?? Perhaps it needs to get more professional and become something that the media would be interested in?
Because companies who sponsor them don't have to worry about the next incident with someone brandishing a snooker cue or set of darts

Because companies who sponsor them don't have to worry about the next incident with someone brandishing a snooker cue or set of darts
Possibly but the car company’s don’t get blamed every time a car is involved in a fatal accident , so why would the sponsors be worried about putting their money behind a legal and controlled sport?

When I started playing hockey - many a year ago - I could play in the "Summer League" with internationals who would 'make up' for my mistakes and talk to me about the right options - I recall playing with Colin Cooper & Paul Bolland who in the late 80's had so much time they could hold the ball whilst telling me where to be and then where & when to pass it back to them. If you take the internationals away from the 'day to day' sport it may develop but it also becomes remote. Be careful what you ask for - for the young its being around the top dogs that sticks in their memory.

When I started playing hockey - many a year ago - I could play in the "Summer League" with internationals who would 'make up' for my mistakes and talk to me about the right options - I recall playing with Colin Cooper & Paul Bolland who in the late 80's had so much time they could hold the ball whilst telling me where to be and then where & when to pass it back to them. If you take the internationals away from the 'day to day' sport it may develop but it also becomes remote. Be careful what you ask for - for the young its being around the top dogs that sticks in their memory.
II’m not suggesting that the sport is segregated at all levels, my original comment was that the World Championship event should have a qualification requirement to allow entry and not be available to beginners thus allowing those who qualify in the lower classes to shoot on the same day and then the higher classes on the same day later in the event making it fair in terms of weather conditions and more professional

II’m not suggesting that the sport is segregated at all levels, my original comment was that the World Championship event should have a qualification requirement to allow entry and not be available to beginners thus allowing those who qualify in the lower classes to shoot on the same day and then the higher classes on the same day later in the event making it fair in terms of weather conditions and more professional
Ok, lets assume all of the other countries sending teams are, like the England Team using a selection shoot process, how, for those in the home country (that's all EE numbered CPSA members) do you see this qualification process working for the individual entries? If your idea is a goer how about you putting said idea to your county committee / region & the national body? Having only certain classes shoot on same day is also going to be difficult due to the relative short re-classification periods?

That said am not alone in thinking that maybe there should be some entry criteria, maybe as simple as that any entrant should have shot x amount of reg ESP targets in last 12 months etc, grounds would hopefully seen some positive bounce but not too sure.

The present entry system seems more to favour those that are quick on the computer keyboard judging by how fast these shoots sell out.

Last edited:
Possibly but the car company’s don’t get blamed every time a car is involved in a fatal accident , so why would the sponsors be worried about putting their money behind a legal and controlled sport?
Because it's the driver not the car that causes the accident/incident

Oxfordshire today, not been for over a year and place is still as welcoming as I fondly remember, tea in a china mug, I resisted a burger, despite the pleasant wafts and had what was a near family size portion of cherry Bakewell tart ( it’s not me it’s this flipping predictive text that’s put in the capital B) instead. The steady drizzle developed into rain then onto monsoon, thankfully the wet weather gear that I had in car did its job, lots of others though did get very very wet, it appears that quite a few rang in to cancel, some simply didn’t turn up, bit poor form the latter. That said think entry was 70+ and given conditions in the afternoon the high gun score was already posted. As for the shoot, did start rather well before the first bogey targets nipped me, so a roller coaster of good & ugly thereafter, yes felt shot some stands / targets well enough, others (and there was lots of) I do need to work on. The place has a label of “steady” yes a few stands are ones that one really should not drop, but they do set a few more card wrecker targets for the unwary (over confident) what with the wretched weather a few targets become more challenging than they planned for. Oh well in need of some practice I am is the lessons from today.

I think its needs a capital 'B' cause its tart originating from Bakewell.

You did well braving the weather - its been pooh in the Midlands and I stayed at home.

P.S. For the sake of independence, other 'tarts' are available and I'm guessing they have capital letters too.

Oxfordshire today, not been for over a year and place is still as welcoming as I fondly remember, tea in a china mug, I resisted a burger, despite the pleasant wafts and
I ventured up there today, doing battle with heavy traffic on the A34 in the pisistent, hissing rain, First time for me and I couldn't hit a cows bottom with a banjo. Missed 2 on stand 1 (easy going away pairs) and continued in that vein, missed all four on a couple of occasions, a baad day, very wet but that's no excuse :rolleyes:. Roll on summer!

Last edited:
Am another that went to Coleys, it ripped me a new one would be an appropriate phrase. Entry down due to the Worlds, holidays and the general financial squeeze I’d imagine, the near empty car park didn’t offer many hiding places for the finished squads that all bore the look of having had to have really toiled. Now we all know that there needs to be a few stands to separate the classes / really test one, but today, bar two (2nd & 12th) stands it felt a relentless slog, yes some challenging targets, but this muppet thought overall there was little balance to the layout, the scores are not for the fainthearted, few 90s and that’s with a fair sprinkling of AAA & AAs on display.
Stands 1,2,3 & 12 were all killable for everyone in every class, the other 8 stands were really only straightable by the AA & AAA shots. It has put a lot of people off!

They have the Coley 120 Bird Classic coming up soon, hopefully Josh will calm the targets down a little!

Grimsthorpe for their registered today, first visit for me, weather a bit tricky but great targets in a fabulous setting. Very nice clubhouse, we both shot it pretty well and exceeded our average. Well worth the drive and hopefully they will do another. The most laid back squadded system with 15 minute intervals, never saw anybody in front or behind us, lovely breakfast, no complaints.

Grimsthorpe for their registered today, first visit for me, weather a bit tricky but great targets in a fabulous setting. Very nice clubhouse, we both shot it pretty well and exceeded our average. Well worth the drive and hopefully they will do another. The most laid back squadded system with 15 minute intervals, never saw anybody in front or behind us, lovely breakfast, no complaints.
Not been there for a very long time, used to do fitasc there, lovely ground. Well done.

Redricks in the gusty winds. Haven’t been there for quite a while. (No reason other than there are usually closer shoots that clash).
I enjoyed it and thought it was a sensible course that the wind added a bit of an element to today obviously.

I seem to have developed an unfathomable problem on longer orange crossers lately. Missed 8 at Honesberie recently and on stand 2 today again, never touched it, so a bit of a card wrecker. (Seriously need to go and practice these as I’m doing something silly). The usual 3 or 4 other soppy misses so 85, having shot Ok otherwise. Enjoyed the round.

Stands 1,2,3 & 12 were all killable for everyone in every class, the other 8 stands were really only straightable by the AA & AAA shots. It has put a lot of people off!

They have the Coley 120 Bird Classic coming up soon, hopefully Josh will calm the targets down a little!
Coleys Open 120 has 612 spaces and tbf has looked to have sold, given everything, very well, the previous shoot nor the £70 entry (£0.58 ppt) not putting many off?? I reckon that every entry is putting £19.60 into prize fund, ( Coleys usually £42/100 birds only) theres quite a few entered that wouldn’t go competition on a reg at £5 but will bung near £20 into this shoot?

Latest posts

Back