Sporting shoots 2023. How was it?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coleys for the super sporting today. Thoroughly enjoyable but some of the sims were really hard! Only had 1 bad stand, stand 8, first in and got totally confused! Thought the looper was the rabbit and the rabbit was the looper! Total “blonde senior” moment 🙄 only 6/10 but shot the rest very well for an 81 which is my best score on a super sporting and joint first in ladies. Lovely panini and food/cakes looked very tempting. Not too expensive either. Club house looks amazing and very nice loos.
Average for shoot was 73 and only 4 shooters hit 90+ 😬

Last edited:
EJC on Thursday. Nice shoot with first three stands in the woods alongside the road in. Made a change but could have been more testing in all that area. Rest of shoot medium hard, good variety, maybe not the tough preparation we need for the World Championship coming up.. finished on 94. 96 HG proved it was fiddly enough in places.

Hangman stone Berkshire championships today. Another good shoot, again not too tough but good mixture. I missed three targets I really felt I should not have which took me out of Berkshire Champ shoot off. Finished 93 so form is OK for me.

The Hodnet Challenge for me on Sunday. Probably the best layout I’ve ever had the pleasure of shooting. 15 stands of 8 with 3 stands of super sporting thrown in for good measure, Ran like clockwork and refs that knew what they were doing. Gold star for West Midland Shooting Ground if all grounds were at this standard I’d do a lot more shooting.

Wished I could have shot it as thought it would be good but had already booked in for the Beretta World. That was an excellent shoot though as well.

The Hodnet Challenge for me on Sunday. Probably the best layout I’ve ever had the pleasure of shooting. 15 stands of 8 with 3 stands of super sporting thrown in for good measure, Ran like clockwork and refs that knew what they were doing. Gold star for West Midland Shooting Ground if all grounds were at this standard I’d do a lot more shooting.
Id mirror everything you said and more. Easily the best shoot I've done in the last 5 years, incredible

Barbury on Friday for the CG challenge. 50 each of sporting, sportrap and super sporting. Started on sporting, shot first stand then there were breakdowns on 2, 3 and 4 consecutively. Took us an hour and 20 to shoot 50 targets! Nothing wrong with the targets at all apart from 3-6 were all in the grouse butts and being a shorty it was a nightmare (again). Stand 3, l-r blaze rabbit and I could only see top part of clay, I was literally shooting into the ground, stand 4 second target r-l, in the air but when you got into the grouse butt there was a huge mound in front of where you stood! Stood back as far as I could but again, restricted vision.

Sportrap was 3 stands, a 20 then 2 x 15 then 50 super sporting which both ran well. Rainy/drizzly most of the way round and by the time we finished and got to club house about 4.10 pm (we started at 12.30) they had finished serving food, drinks only 🙄🙄

As I said, really good targets but I don’t know how many times I ask ground owners to be aware of us shorties. Squad before us had a gentleman who struggled same as me and a few others I saw. I mentioned it to 2 of the staff going round on the golf cart as I was peed off with the wait and not seeing the rabbit and one of the guys literally rolled his eyes 😤😤

Finished on a 115 and looking back (there was a few I didn’t see properly because of the rain on glasses etc) I think I could’ve/should’ve had at least another 10 as just dropped the odd one here and there.

Enjoy it if anyone shoots today and tomorrow!

Off to Westfields today for the Cotswolds Cup which I’m looking forward to.

Barbury on Friday for the CG challenge. 50 each of sporting, sportrap and super sporting. Started on sporting, shot first stand then there were breakdowns on 2, 3 and 4 consecutively. Took us an hour and 20 to shoot 50 targets! Nothing wrong with the targets at all apart from 3-6 were all in the grouse butts and being a shorty it was a nightmare (again). Stand 3, l-r blaze rabbit and I could only see top part of clay, I was literally shooting into the ground, stand 4 second target r-l, in the air but when you got into the grouse butt there was a huge mound in front of where you stood! Stood back as far as I could but again, restricted vision.

Sportrap was 3 stands, a 20 then 2 x 15 then 50 super sporting which both ran well. Rainy/drizzly most of the way round and by the time we finished and got to club house about 4.10 pm (we started at 12.30) they had finished serving food, drinks only 🙄🙄

As I said, really good targets but I don’t know how many times I ask ground owners to be aware of us shorties. Squad before us had a gentleman who struggled same as me and a few others I saw. I mentioned it to 2 of the staff going round on the golf cart as I was peed off with the wait and not seeing the rabbit and one of the guys literally rolled his eyes 😤😤

Finished on a 115 and looking back (there was a few I didn’t see properly because of the rain on glasses etc) I think I could’ve/should’ve had at least another 10 as just dropped the odd one here and there.

Sorry to read about the difficulties at Barbury on the whole they rarely get such things “wrong” Huw and Josh are quite approachable so if you get a chance do share with them your experience. Saturday, just had brunch and sitting looking weather it’s overcast with the odd squally shower so🤞 for your day at Westfield ( it’s just up the road etc )

Sorry to read about the difficulties at Barbury on the whole they rarely get such things “wrong” Huw and Josh are quite approachable so if you get a chance do share with them your experience. Saturday, just had brunch and sitting looking weather it’s overcast with the odd squally shower so🤞 for your day at Westfield ( it’s just up the road etc )
Targets were good Richard, I just get very frustrated when I cannot see what I’m supposed to be shooting at! Stand 4 was already hard enough, then being in the grouse butt and they put a mound of earth in front of it!!!!
I’ve spoken to quite a few ground owners about this type of problem as have several other shooters I know of and tbh its fine for a few shoots then it happens again.

Following on from yesterdays report, Westfield for us today for the Cotswold Cup and I must say, it’s probably one of the best shoots I’ve ever shot.

Ran like clockwork, only one stand that was throwing quite a few no birds but it was quickly fixed. A right mixture of targets, sunny day, great squad (got to shoot with Mr and Mrs Miles of the USA which was an absolute pleasure) and I could see every target. Didn’t hit them all but I could see them 😂😂 Well worth the trip.

A huge 144 from Martin Myers is unbelievable.

100% agree with this. I have the same issue with height in these stands and what can be straightforward targets for some, can become real hard work for us shorties. 🥺

It drives me mad Zea, it’s not only us ladies, what about the colts coming through?
I've had this thought too. The last registered at Barbury had a low quartering out midi orange target that barely skimmed the grass. I didn't touch it. Wasn't a particularly difficult presentation, unless you were 5'5 and under. I know of a junior (a good shot) who never touched it either. Sadly, the sport is trying hard to show its "inclusivity," but we're still lacking some degree of fairness for the vertically challenged!

I barely saw the second clay on stand 4 yesterday as well. Chuck in the crazy wind too. Bit disheartening.

I wouldn't really mind if they put a pallet down to stand on in those dug outs, I think that would help. Which reminds me... I must get a little step for my top kitchen cupboards; short and hangry is not a good combination 🤣🤣🤣

I've had this thought too. The last registered at Barbury had a low quartering out midi orange target that barely skimmed the grass. I didn't touch it. Wasn't a particularly difficult presentation, unless you were 5'5 and under. I know of a junior (a good shot) who never touched it either. Sadly, the sport is trying hard to show its "inclusivity," but we're still lacking some degree of fairness for the vertically challenged!

I barely saw the second clay on stand 4 yesterday as well. Chuck in the crazy wind too. Bit disheartening.

I wouldn't really mind if they put a pallet down to stand on in those dug outs, I think that would help. Which reminds me... I must get a little step for my top kitchen cupboards; short and hangry is not a good combination 🤣🤣🤣
A pallet has been suggested and some grounds do that which is much appreciated. It’s not rocket science and I really don’t mind too much shooting a crap score if the shoot has been challenging and enjoyable but to loose targets because you can’t even see them is a bit much.

Onto the Worlds tomorrow so let’s hope there’s plenty of pallets 😂😂

A pallet has been suggested and some grounds do that which is much appreciated. It’s not rocket science and I really don’t mind too much shooting a crap score if the shoot has been challenging and enjoyable but to loose targets because you can’t even see them is a bit much.

Onto the Worlds tomorrow so let’s hope there’s plenty of pallets 😂😂
Agree 100%

Fingers and toes crossed 🤣🙏🏻

EJC yesterday for the blue course. Saw Jamie before shooting and did ask if it was tough due to the lowish scores over the weekend and he said that they’d put a few 😂 stands with some long, wound up targets etc which were catching people out. Think of Southdown many years ago and you get the picture.

Started off fairly well, got to stand 7 which looked horrendous, simo pair r-l and never saw anyone hit the second target. Managed a 5/8 and ref said in 2 1/2 days she’d only had 1 straight and plenty of zeros. 9, 10 and 11 done me though, torrential rain which made the fast midis look like bumble bees , stand 13 the blaze/pink teal -could hardly see it in the rain but still managed to hit a few then stand 14 missed the first easy target and hit the remaining 5 and that l-r was fast and way out there.

Red course today and the forecast looks dreadful but shall do my best! I think the shooters from tomorrow have much nicer weather so scores should improve.

Managed to get a nice new skeet vest which I’ve been looking for but dont want to get it wet so will wear it Thursday when we are back up again for the sportrap and super sporting.

Good luck everyone.

EJC yesterday for the blue course. Saw Jamie before shooting and did ask if it was tough due to the lowish scores over the weekend and he said that they’d put a few 😂 stands with some long, wound up targets etc which were catching people out. Think of Southdown many years ago and you get the picture.

Started off fairly well, got to stand 7 which looked horrendous, simo pair r-l and never saw anyone hit the second target. Managed a 5/8 and ref said in 2 1/2 days she’d only had 1 straight and plenty of zeros. 9, 10 and 11 done me though, torrential rain which made the fast midis look like bumble bees , stand 13 the blaze/pink teal -could hardly see it in the rain but still managed to hit a few then stand 14 missed the first easy target and hit the remaining 5 and that l-r was fast and way out there.

Red course today and the forecast looks dreadful but shall do my best! I think the shooters from tomorrow have much nicer weather so scores should improve.

Managed to get a nice new skeet vest which I’ve been looking for but dont want to get it wet so will wear it Thursday when we are back up again for the sportrap and super sporting.

Good luck everyone.
You did better than I did. I missed loads of the softer stuff, head not really in it to be honest, had my dog put to sleep Sunday and all focus on shooting seems to have gone - to the extent that I wasn't even feeling nervous about it.

Of the stands you mention - Stand 7 I scored a 6 on, missed two of the second targets. I actually thought it was one of the softer stands that was on. Stand 9 I never touched that second target, only saw one broken from the entire squad. Stand 10 I hit all of the distant midi targets, missed two of the easy going away loopers. Stand 11 - the platform with the rabbit - I blanked. Stand 13 hit two of the teals - I was in the middle of the first pair then dropped two pairs (shocking lack of concentration). Stand 14 I nearly blanked, manged to hit the final right to left - I was in front.

Red course today in the rain, but at least it's supposed to be less windy.

So sorry to hear about your dog Jenny, it’s heartbreaking and that will be in your thoughts. Stands 9 and 10 I never got the midis at all. Lots of low scores from some very good shots so don’t be too disappointed. Good luck.

I shot red yesterday. My excuse list is long and my score dreadful! Hoping for a better day today on blue.

Latest posts

Back