Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot Widdington today - scraped under the wire as ground closes for Clays at the end of August and reopens in April the following year.   

Seems the layout over 14 stands was the legacy of a competition on Sunday 23rd August.   What can I say?  Some absolutely cracking targets, far from easy in some cases but all hittable - that's what we want isn't it?

The good old British weather saw fit to dump it's finest efforts on us but even that couldn't spoil the day.  Simply fabulous, will be back there next year for sure.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a sad truth that it’s only when you get a really firm shoot, we see just how good the better AAA guys are. I can get close or even beat them sometimes at a medium level event but this is where they really stretch their legs. 
Very true, but these guys shoot high volume in practice which makes all the difference. 

It’s a sad truth that it’s only when you get a really firm shoot, we see just how good the better AAA guys are. I can get close or even beat them sometimes at a medium level event but this is where they really stretch their legs. 
I shot in a squad with him last year at Sporting Targets.  Very friendly guy, chatted between stands etc, but when he got in there he didn't miss.  I knew he was doing well, but it wasn't until the end that it clicked that he'd only dropped two targets all of the way around.  Amazing to see.

Shot Churchill’s late afternoon yesterday, so unfortunately ran into the thunder, lighting and torrential rain. Nice set of targets apparently set by Mr Digweed, although noticed Jamie Peckham from Promatic lurking. Don’t know if he was assisting but certainly had his stamp on them. Apart from the last 3 stands nothing was outrageous but lots of tricky angles. Really liked   the “super sport” style stands, well liked the set on the first layout. 

By late afternoon the light started to go just before the storm hit and I personally struggled to see some of the targets that were not against the sky, especially the two low incomers on that covered stand just down from the scaffolding platform. Indeed it was so dark by then the ref complained he could not see the score cards in that covered bit. 

The final 3 stands were”super sport” style with full use of the gun on the singles. As a very average B class shooter it was clear these were the stands that would sort out the wheat from the chaff and I was definitely the chaff!🤣 Although we were thankfully under cover, the torrential rain accompanied by the thunder and lightning, did not help. On some of those big crossers I really felt out of my depth and as mentioned above it’s not until you watch a good shot consistently break those extreme targets that you appreciate how good the top guys/girls are. Fluke shot of the day was calling for a target just as there was a flash of lightning. I was so startled I jumped and quadruple my intended lead only to see the clay shatter!

Despite the weather a very enjoyable shoot and a great day out. As ever very smoothly and professionally run by Churchill’s. Good luck to those shooting today.

Steady 85 at AGL this morning; was pretty chilly early on and it took me a few stands to get moving properly which resulted in some silly misses including 2 of the going away battues on 1.

Went 6-10 only one away then got to 11 and had a disaster, completely mis-reading the battue going way in front and I could not pick up the edge on orange midi in the grey sky and hit 1/8. 

Apart from that eyesight test it was a good shoot.

Steady 85 at AGL this morning; was pretty chilly early on and it took me a few stands to get moving properly which resulted in some silly misses including 2 of the going away battues on 1.

Went 6-10 only one away then got to 11 and had a disaster, completely mis-reading the battue going way in front and I could not pick up the edge on orange midi in the grey sky and hit 1/8. 

Apart from that eyesight test it was a good shoot.
You know Tony rarely sees his lead but he said he saw a chunk on that battue.  I completely misread it and somehow managed two of the orange one.  That really could have been black.  

AGL for me too. Bad start, dropping 7 over the first two stands. Overleading the 2nd bird on Stand 1 and missing 3 of the floppy things on 2. Picked up after that and was pleased to straight Stand 7 (the quartering away looper and teal). Dropped a couple of really soft going away the first sim pair, trigger flinch and just pushing over.

Stand 11 was tough. Hit the first battue, then missed the next two pairs. Finally found that midi and killed the last pair for a 3.

Finished on 77. 

Started this morning with AGL started badly on stand one. I think I would have rather done that stand after doing a few to limber up a bit.  I also found stand 11 hard.  I think I did  okay but don’t know my score.  Then on to EJC which we shot through because if we’d taken a break the light was fading fast.  Bit of rain but intermittent.   Good squad including Sam Green, a pleasure to watch.  I did okay on the first course but the second was far harder for me and towards the end I did feel tired.  A good days shooting and finished on 110 so happy with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started this morning with AGL started badly on stand one. I think I would have rather done that stand after doing a few to limber up a bit.  I also found stand 11 hard.  I think I did  okay but don’t know my score.  Then on to EJC which we shot through because if we’d taken a break the light was fading fast.  Bit of rain but intermittent.   Good squad including Sam Green, a pleasure to watch.  I did okay on the first course but the second was far harder for me and towards the end I did feel tired.  A good days shooting and finished on 110 so happy with that.
Did you like the coloured  clays...😇

Shot the Churchill cup today,after a bad night and a long drive i knew it wasn't going to be my day but i manned up and got on with it.

Very much straight it or F it up for me today,did better on the harder stuff but some of it seemed ridiculous.

I think it was stand 4 on the blue Orange and a Pink incomer for most of our squad the pink was on the floor by the time they had shot at the orange,they werent even getting a second shot off.

Edge on green against a green background was a struggle for most and the going away orange on 6 would have been a struggle to see for the more vertically challenged amongst us as many times it was diving away behind the wall.

Someone said to me " i don't like Georges targets" think i am in that club to now,greatest respect for him as a shooter but beating shooters up (3 of our squad literally gave up on the blue) isn't the way to set a course in my opinion.

Nevermind SSG tomorrow,always enjoyable😁

Longridge today. Pretty steady course, nicely varied, nothing too nasty and not the usual sting on the last stand.

Unfortunately dropped 2 on the 2nd to last to finish on 94. 

There's a very impressive score of 98 on the board!

Got round quickly with a good group of blokes, squad system works really well!

Looking forward to the British on Wednesday!

Longridge today. Pretty steady course, nicely varied, nothing too nasty and not the usual sting on the last stand.

Unfortunately dropped 2 on the 2nd to last to finish on 94. 

There's a very impressive score of 98 on the board!

Got round quickly with a good group of blokes, squad system works really well!

Looking forward to the British on Wednesday!
Also managed to get to Longridge today first time for me. Very impressed with the targets there, if this is now the standard of CPSA shoots I might consider rejoining but guess there not all as well run and interesting as this was. Great bacon rolls was an added bonus

Barrow for us today for the Cheddite comp.  Really great course, good targets, nothing you couldn’t see and nothing for us shorties to complain about!  A few hard stands to sort out the best from us mere mortals but enjoyed it.  I didn’t shoot particularly well, got tired towards end but that was me,  not the course!  Second outing there this month and both have been very enjoyable, they have worked wonders on the ground, very little no targets and one of the young ladies scoring actually told someone off in our squad for not having ear protection and made him put them on,  I commended her when I picked the score cards up and she said that was the second person that she’d had to tell that morning!  

First time at Barbury for me and it wont be my last , organisation was exceptional all running very smoothly, friendly staff on hand to answer any questions. Targets where excellent  you can tell a lot of thought had gone into it , something there for everyone , ground was very well presented 

Well done to all the staff at Barbury 

First time at Barbury for me and it wont be my last , organisation was exceptional all running very smoothly, friendly staff on hand to answer any questions. Targets where excellent  you can tell a lot of thought had gone into it , something there for everyone , ground was very well presented 

Well done to all the staff at Barbury 
I love that ground, never been disappointed when Ive shot there ever but it’s such a long way for us we only shoot the “special” comps, wish it was nearer to me!

Back