Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some time off work this week; nice practice at Owls Lodge Tuesday afternoon and Churchills Wednesday, the registered at Churchills on Thursday morning then Kibworth in the afternoon with Ed, some more time with Ed at Sporting Targets on Friday then a go at the high tower challenge which was all very enjoyable.

Shot Widdington this morning which was the polar opposite; must have had more no birds in this one shoot that I did in shooting the best part of 750 during the week, I did 119 cartridges including 18 on one stand.  Poorly thought out target setting as well; edge-on stuff being thrown straight in to the wind etc when it needed a bit of face, then vice-versa.

Shame as it's in a really nice setting and another fairly local one for me.

Widdington too, was first out at 9.50 squad, which me apart had more As than this years regraded exam results, now I also share the "its a really nice place" sentiment even with its many flaws. Despite being in a squad that all shot very - very very well one did struggle, any benefit of seeing chaps make it all look very easy had the adverse effect on I and some targets looked daunting and I simply hung on to long to too many that were in effect lost before the trigger was pulled, was first up on the downhill rabbit stand, struggled then saw Jon Heagren & James Bradley Day show how to shoot them, most probably the positive I will take from today, nowt else.  Missed the rain, was home nice and early and have parked this day out as one, personally,  to forget.

Think JBD shot a big 90+ which will take some beating.

Widdington too, was first out at 9.50 squad, which me apart had more As than this years regraded exam results, now I also share the "its a really nice place" sentiment even with its many flaws. Despite being in a squad that all shot very - very very well one did struggle, any benefit of seeing chaps make it all look very easy had the adverse effect on I and some targets looked daunting and I simply hung on to long to too many that were in effect lost before the trigger was pulled, was first up on the downhill rabbit stand, struggled then saw Jon Heagren & James Bradley Day show how to shoot them, most probably the positive I will take from today, nowt else.  Missed the rain, was home nice and early and have parked this day out as one, personally,  to forget.

Think JBD shot a big 90+ which will take some beating.
Rudling 96, somehow I finished 3rd in A with 81

I had some time off work this week; nice practice at Owls Lodge Tuesday afternoon and Churchills Wednesday, the registered at Churchills on Thursday morning then Kibworth in the afternoon with Ed, some more time with Ed at Sporting Targets on Friday then a go at the high tower challenge which was all very enjoyable.

Shot Widdington this morning which was the polar opposite; must have had more no birds in this one shoot that I did in shooting the best part of 750 during the week, I did 119 cartridges including 18 on one stand.  Poorly thought out target setting as well; edge-on stuff being thrown straight in to the wind etc when it needed a bit of face, then vice-versa.

Yes real shame about Widdington. Lovely setting and can be great. I think Sean Ponting not setting it now..

I went to Honesberie instead today. It has a characteristic of steady first four stands then a very firm middle 4 or 5 stands followed by medium stands to finish and today was just that. A good shoot all round with some targets to talk about. Finished on 86 including about 4 misses that I really should have avoided. Given my poor form lately it could have gone worse..

Shot Widdington this morning which was the polar opposite;have had more no birds in this one shoot that I did in shooting the best part of 750 during the week, I did 119 cartridges including 18 on one stand.  Poorly thought out target setting as well; edge-on stuff being thrown straight in to the wind etc when it needed a bit of face, then vice-versa.

Lovely to shoot with you Dan.  I second everything Dan has said sadly as it is a lovely setting and lovely people.  It was a struggle for me in some of the stands,  the bar being way too high.  Six on a squad and every one of us had no birds on all but one stand.  Weather didn’t help, it rained and I was cold.   A great shame.  On to Honesberie which was a good shoot but I can’t help feeling they’ve complicated the scoring with the different sheets which became soggy.  Tony and I had the same entry number and we took it in turns to go first so who knows how the scores will end up 😂.   Waiting for a bit of form to come back, any form will do.

Widdington is and always has been notorious for trap break downs and no birds. It has now also become the most expensive 100 registered shoot as well. They have managed to do 2 registered shoots this year, and both have had the same issues. Glad I voted with my feet after last months shoot, and decided to go for a play at Barbury instead. At least that will be it for this year as it will be off limits now, as the game season is upon us.

So honesberie made a right mess of the scores ? Stand 5 now void, clerical error.??

Jasper. 

Shot Widdington yesterday, always looked forward to going there as the scenery is absolutely stunning. Unfortunately I won’t be going back, can’t say we suffered too much with no birds but I genuinely felt like I was in the shoot off for the world championship or something equally prestigious, relentlessly beat up with some ridiculous target setting and charged well over the odds for the privilege, What a way to kill off what was once such an enjoyable shoot. 

THIS WEEKEND

100 Reg Sporting @ Barbury Shooting School

(also South West Championships)

Shoot Saturday OR Sunday

Squads available every 10 minutes 9am - 3pm Saturday, 9am - 1pm Sunday

Still a few spaces left each day - book yours now 

📞 01793 940420

📧 [email protected]

Did the EJC 150 Cup today. 

The first layout of 75 is on all-new ground cleared alongside the entry road and behind clubhouse. So nice to shoot a new venue effectively. GD targets were as expected. You don’t see many showing face, with fast and tricky being the theme throughout the 150.

2 layouts of 9 stands per course. There are 6 stands with three traps presenting a mix of singles, o/r and a sim pair. Fairly happy with 85% on red course.

Blue course, I was shooting OK until near the end when I tripped up badly on two sequence stands. Stand 16 was a disaster and I wasn’t good on stand 17, so a disappointing end. 119/150. It is definitely harder than your normal registered shoot though. The new stands and different target style made a good change in fairness. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from EJC as well.

Red course, I shot the first 5 stands well (dropped 5 I think) then had a meltdown on the sim pair on Stand 6.  Killed the first pair and then lots the plot, glancing at the second bird while shooting the first and missed two pairs.  Managed to bugger up the 1st of the 9 target stands - couldn't find the A bird at all (in front I think, although it was a very awkward line so that may have been the issue).  Stand 8 and 9 I did well on, last bird dropped on 8 and only 2 away on 9.

Blue course was a different story. Two's and three's away on every stand for the normal 4 pair stands.  Would get on them and then lose focus and slow the gun up.  Same story on the 9 target stands.  Stand 16 I actually got the highest score of our squad - a 4! The rest, I was hitting the singles then losing concentration and missing the pairs.  

Bit disappointed with my 97, after the Red course I was hoping to get to around 105 to 110, but let myself down on the second half.  Must admit I was feeling pretty tired and back achy by the time we were half way through Blue, so I'm using that as my excuse.

Shot EJC also today and found it hard! You had to be on top form for that type of shoot and I’m not at the moment since lockdown🥴

Enjoyed the different format though with several stands being mini Fitasc/ sportrap etc.

Just managed to avoid the rain which was a bonus.

Back