Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new Redricks shoot today. First time out since this last lockdown. 65 min easy drive for me so that’s decent. There’s a big field for parking and even after terrible rain earlier it was clean enough. 

You have to judge it based on the fact that it is a new ground and it’s first event, so if you’re looking for a grand clubhouse, high shooting towers, platforms etc., well they aren’t there yet which is fair enough. The catering van was very good, sensible prices and the best burger I’ve ever eaten at a shoot. 

So, the ground itself reminded me a bit of Bisley with fewer trees. Wellies were a must but it all worked well. Stand 1 was a bit of a fast wake up call, then there were some steady stands until a much trickier second half I thought. I was only one away until stand 7 missing three and then I fell apart on the sim away and teal, never hitting the black target. (Had two go’s at the end and hit it fine by just not measuring it). Grr.. card wrecked. I was behind the big battue on stand 12 twice, finishing on 89. 

Definitely worth a visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Redricks shoot today. First time out since this last lockdown. 65 min easy drive for me so that’s decent. There’s a big field for parking and even after terrible rain earlier it was clean enough. 

You have to judge it based on the fact that it is a new ground and it’s first event, so if you’re looking for a grand clubhouse, high shooting towers, platforms etc., well they aren’t there yet which is fair enough. The catering van was very good, sensible prices and the best burger I’ve ever eaten at a shoot. 

So, the ground itself reminded me a bit of Bisley with fewer trees. Wellies were a must but it all worked well. Stand 1 was a bit of a fast wake up call, then there were some steady stands until a much trickier second half I thought. I was only one away until stand 7 missing three and then I fell apart on the sim away and teal, never hitting the black target. (Had two go’s at the end and hit it fine by just not measuring it). Grr.. card wrecked. I was behind the big battue on stand 12 twice, finishing on 89. 

Definitely worth a visit.
Nice to see you today Will.....thanks for your support

BTW......you can have the coaching on how to hit the simmo pair on me.....

See you again soon 

I went to Court farm for a practise, just to dispel the Covid blues, Got the blues of a different kind as I couldn't access Gatton bottom (a rat run to Court farm for me) due to ongoing roadworks. Beware Gatton Bottom fans, this may be an ongoing problem, at this time you can only get in from the East (or North possibly.)

https://reigate.uk/reigate-hill-roadworks-story-archive-8-sep-2020/

I headed north at M25 J8 and followed the sat-nav across country.  Arrived at Court farm, took advantage of their reasonable ammo prices and bought a couple of slabs, started on stand 3 because of queues on 1 & 2, straighted 3 & 4, then was brought down to earth with a bump on stand 5, missing about four. I continued round doing OK but missing one's and two's, annoyingly on stands where I should know better, ended with 88.

All in all it was an enjoyable shoot, most stands were well set up without those irritating incoming floaters that are designed to play havoc. Some stands had been changed around for a bit of variety and some were still set in stone.

Heading out of the shoot I turned left (instead of right as normal,) across Farthing downs, a first for me, a great scenic route and totally unexpected this close to London.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too went to Redricks and did a lot better on the sim teal and going away than Will 🤣.   Missed a very close one 3 times.  Good luck Phil, enjoyed it.   On to Barrow where the fog was horrendous and got worse and being last squad the little light there was just faded.  Last three stands were very hard to see.  The last stand I didn’t even shoot at the second target Imdidnt see it at all.    Shame as the targets were good just unlucky with the weather.   

I also shot redricks today, shot a new pb of 74 so happy with that, I then headed up to barrow for the afternoon and shot around my average which I was happy with in the less than favourable conditions. 

to put into perspective what Sian said above, I’ll attach a pic below. amongst the fog their are four stands, that pic was taken as I reached the top of the hill and I believe from what Sian said about being last squad she was 3 squads behind me. 

sian , that second target in the final stand was beyond ridiculous, dropping out of the fog in free fall it was see it shoot and hope.... I managed 1 of the second birds.....how I couldn’t tell you 

9CA87840-D8ED-454D-9E25-A6C059DCB02B.jpeg

I also shot redricks today, shot a new pb of 74 so happy with that, I then headed up to barrow for the afternoon and shot around my average which I was happy with in the less than favourable conditions. 

to put into perspective what Sian said above, I’ll attach a pic below. amongst the fog their are four stands, that pic was taken as I reached the top of the hill and I believe from what Sian said about being last squad she was 3 squads behind me. 

sian , that second target in the final stand was beyond ridiculous, dropping out of the fog in free fall it was see it shoot and hope.... I managed 1 of the second birds.....how I couldn’t tell you 

View attachment 8475
Coming back up the hill at the end, you could just make out the headlights as Ben was tidying up behind us.   The fog just came right down and engulfed us like a horror movie. Struggled today anyway, hoping to improve as time goes on.

I went to Northampton. Thick fog all the way from Norfolk till about 20 miles from the ground then it cleared and the temperature went from -2° up to +4°. 13 stands of good targets I didn't shoot that well hitting 81, I blame the 4 week lockdown. 

Hornet (College Farm) esp reg today. 

Misty cold start but that improved thankfully. Brilliant targets as always, nothing close. A monster battue that I was pleased to only miss once.

Weird day of shooting well and sussing hard targets out well but I got sloppy in second half, introducing some truly unnecessary misses and that stopped a great score from appearing. Lovely day out though. 

A lot of the new eco clays being used. Absolutely no issue mostly as they look black when viewed with the sun behind them as you’re looking at shadow. Just one stand where the milky coffee colour made it hard to see. The sun was behind the shooter so full on the face of the clay and the background was bare trees.

Barbury today, first must say they have done an excellent looking job on the new clubhouse / cafe / gunroom / welfare facilities. As forecast it was a bit chilly at times, no wet stuff (thankfully) and a part of the ground being used for the reg was bit boggy / muddy underfoot, however, its mid winter, its been very wet one needs to expect such at times. Due to me really not getting on with glasses & masks Ive gone back to wearing contact lenses, the sight picture may well be different, Im too much of a old dog to notice if it does, my errors are all / mostly top two inches, that said I only really loused up two stands and in reflection know now what went / was going wrong, but at time / in stand I was in denial that I could get it so badly wrong. Overall felt that for I, did shot better than ok, and ended on a few higher than current average, was in a happy chappy squad of AAA and AA stars that all shot very well and this most probably helped my cause. 

HG Richard Faulds 100 straight he chased down Martin Myers 99, theses boys are different gravy.

Good to see you again Rich and a few of the other regular Glos/OX/HW locals. I enjoyed 11 of the 12 stands and 3 or 4 went very well, but I melted down for no obvious reason on stand 11, the crossing sim pair. I could have shot them all day from 20 yards further back but I just couldn't register them properly and the gun was just flailing around costing me 8 targets out of 10. I dislike close targets at the best of times so that didn't help. Oh well, c'est la vie: There goes another brown envelope. 😀

Sporting Targets this afternoon with Ed S. Last time I shot was six weeks ago, 25 shells for a gun fit session an Honesberie. Prior to that was back at the beginning of September. 
I was pleasantly surprised to say the least to find no drop off in ability. In fact it was probably my best day yet.

Overhead going away is still a bogey target but improving from 1:10 lucky hit to maybe 5:10 controlled shots.

The biggest takeaways today we’re learning how to assess a shot, be that a hit or a miss and learning to figure out what to change. It really surprised me how moving a hold point just a few meters either closer or further from the trap radically alters the perception of the target.

It’s given me a bit of assurance that missed targets can be turned into a sure fire hit. Really satisfying.

Sporting Targets this afternoon with Ed S. Last time I shot was six weeks ago, 25 shells for a gun fit session an Honesberie. Prior to that was back at the beginning of September. 
I was pleasantly surprised to say the least to find no drop off in ability. In fact it was probably my best day yet.

Overhead going away is still a bogey target but improving from 1:10 lucky hit to maybe 5:10 controlled shots.

The biggest takeaways today we’re learning how to assess a shot, be that a hit or a miss and learning to figure out what to change. It really surprised me how moving a hold point just a few meters either closer or further from the trap radically alters the perception of the target.

It’s given me a bit of assurance that missed targets can be turned into a sure fire hit. Really satisfying.
As I’m sure Ed will have enforced, hold point is a massive deal (on most targets) and judging where that will be before you take the first shot is critical. Also, maintaining the same hold point throughout all pairs on the stand. Easy to drift off..

Oxfordshire today, another ground that has been busy with ground improvements / opening out during lockdown 2, no not the busiest of shoots entry wise but plenty of souls to chinwag and catch up with. Still at present a 10 stand shoot and will admit not really being with it at all for the first half of course, struggled is an understatement, had a plan, things looked right, moved gun, pulled trigger but most clays didnt break 🙁. Did have a better second half so no not always getting things “wrong” 😊 just about returned. Decent tea and a chance to natter followed, Ive had worse days out. No scores known.

Coleys tomorrow might see some of you there

Back