Sportasc 120 at Westfield

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Hewland

A great event that started today, which I shot. A good format that didn't take too long, with sensible breaks and three layouts of 40 birds.

A great variety, so even where it wasn't that tough I managed to make some daft mistakes. My best one was while Steve Lovatt was watching me miss two crossers from a cherry picker because I thought they were coming from traps off the floor. Durr..

Something for everybody, with quite a few easier hoops and two or three real tough b*stards. 95/120 for me which did include the usual quota of daft misses so I really wanted 100+ to feel I did a good job. However there were moments of decent shooting so I'm happy enough. 34 on the Valley layout was reasonably good, even with two daft misses on an easier hoop there..

The rain held off so we were lucky. All in all a great day and I hope Sportasc takes shape. My verdict? Maybe to make it really widely appealing the format might be two 50 bird Parcours with just one break between; to appeal to those that want a half-day event. That doesn't mean a big competition version couldn't be three or four layouts and a longer day of course.

Glad you enjoyed it Will..........yeah last months 160 birder would've made the day longer for you and I guess that after this weekend Steve will know exactly what'll work best for "The Company" in the future.

Bet them two straights felt good..........well done :smile:

Shot today with messers Brown and Symes and also Nicky Grey and Phil Blakeway. Lovely day out in the sunshine getting brutalised by Steves targets :(

Really enjoyed the company guys thanks for a good days shooting! A couple of good stories from Phil into the bargain!

Really must spend some time with a coach. started off well and got progressively worse as the day went on.

Apologies to Matt who I dropped the winning C score too when he was trying to shoot without knowing what he had to beat.

I finished on 74, beers on me if you beat it!

6 am start and home by 17:30 a long day for 120 birds but I wouldn't bother going all that way for just 100 but we could shoot 150 in 3 rotations. Not sure that the new setup with a ref on each hoop made all that difference. I still had an hour between shoots but that is part of the appeal of the format.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoyed shooting with you Ian!

Great targets, finished on the barn. Went to the last hoop there 1 away and ended up dropping 4 more finishing on 101!

Great day out at this on Saturday - sun was shining for most of the day, and although a bit chilly it was largely perfect conditions for shooting. 

Started on the valley layout, which was going OK until the last hoop where the wheels came off for me.  The Barn layout was excellent, and I straighted the middle two hoops in a rare moment of consistency and calmness,  finished on the Wood layout, which was really nice to shoot in different parts of the Westfield ground. 

Overall, I thought this was excellent - a slight tweak to the format which meant singles and doubles were shot seperately (I think I prefer it the first way ound - straight through on the peg) - organisation was as usual superb, and the atmosphere was great with less people worrying about averages and competition. 

I finished on 78 (yes Ian - I'll take a pint) - way off the pace in the end, but I felt I shot better than the first Sportasc. 

Bravo to Steve and Ally for this excellent format. 

Latest posts

Back